Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

leaking from incision.....

:help:

Hi everyone,

Well I am 5 days out and freaking out a bit. I just noticed that I was leaking from my port scar. My incisions were closed with the glue stuff, and I've been doing fine. No real problems. Then I placed my hand on my stomach and it felt wet, lifted my pants and noticed blood on my stomach & panties from where my port incision is. I dabbed it a bit with tissue. It's not pouring out just a bit. It looks like blood and maybe some clear Fluid mixed. Any one have an idea what is happening to me??

I can't get ahold of my doctor right now. :)

Tami

Yup, me. One small section of my Band scar. It leaked and oozed. Bought Hibiclens, cleaned it, covered it with a surgical bandage for a few days until it was less angry looking. Took the bandage off, gently cleansed again and let it air dry. Make sure nothing is rubbing against it like your bra (mine was)

Good luck.

Thank you so much for the quick reply. I started to panic! I'll watch it and call my dr tomorrow morning.

Sometimes fat reacts to the port and melts. It can drain as a reddish liquid. If it turns green or yellow, if the area becomes red or has red streaks up and down, then go to an ER quickly. But what you are describing sounds like melted fat.

Also, if whatever is oozing from you smells AT ALL it could be an infection. You should still try to call your doctor, that's what they get paid for.

Update:

I saw my Dr this morning. WASaBubble Butt, you were right... he said it was just melting fat. He told me to leave it alone as much as possible. Let it drain , cover with gause pad if needed and also gave me an antibiotic just in case. He said it didn't look infected, but better to catch it before hand, then too late. I feel better now. But, I am still so swollen in my belly. He told me I could use a compression band around my waist to ease the swelling down.

Thanks to all of you who replied, I appreciate it!

Tam

Update:

I saw my Dr this morning. WASaBubble Butt, you were right... he said it was just melting fat. He told me to leave it alone as much as possible. Let it drain , cover with gause pad if needed and also gave me an antibiotic just in case. He said it didn't look infected, but better to catch it before hand, then too late. I feel better now. But, I am still so swollen in my belly. He told me I could use a compression band around my waist to ease the swelling down.

Thanks to all of you who replied, I appreciate it!

Tam

Now when people tell you that you are just melting away you can look them square in the eye and say, "Damn straight I am!"

:youcandothis:

LMAO Bubblebutt.....I am glad that is was nothing serious and all is okay...You will be able to help someone in the future that is having the same problem....Deanna

He told me to just cover it with gauze, and to let it drain out. Not to worry. If it was not yellow, thick, green or smell nasty, it most likely was not infected. I was to watch it and if it got worse or bloody, to let him know. I was given an antibiotic, just in case.

As luck would have it, it stopped later in the day after my appointment.

:confused:Hi I was banded on June 5th of 08..I am 10 days post op. My incisions have been healing nicely or so I thought. I was sitting here tonight and noticed that some smeared discoloration was above my port incision....I looked at it and as I pressed near the incision to wipe it some clear drainiage came out...so I pressed more until the drainage no longer came out..not hard..just enough to ooze it out...then blood came out after that..but it wasn't bright red blood it was kinda brownish...I mean it was red but a browner tent to it...it is coming out a small pinhole of the incision. You can't even tell where it is coming from unless you see it coming out. It is not red, hot to the touch nor did the drainage smell....could it be infected. What do I do? It wasn't a large amount. Enough that one kleenex was able to do the trick to get it cleaned up.

:confused:Hi I was banded on June 5th of 08..I am 10 days post op. My incisions have been healing nicely or so I thought. I was sitting here tonight and noticed that some smeared discoloration was above my port incision....I looked at it and as I pressed near the incision to wipe it some clear drainiage came out...so I pressed more until the drainage no longer came out..not hard..just enough to ooze it out...then blood came out after that..but it wasn't bright red blood it was kinda brownish...I mean it was red but a browner tent to it...it is coming out a small pinhole of the incision. You can't even tell where it is coming from unless you see it coming out. It is not red, hot to the touch nor did the drainage smell....could it be infected. What do I do? It wasn't a large amount. Enough that one kleenex was able to do the trick to get it cleaned up.

See post #4.

What causes melted fat...oops re read it again and saw what you said. Now in the beginning it was a clear liquid...before it turned reddish brown... I sent an email to my facilitator and awaiting what she says. Is there anything you can do for it or just let it take it's course?

Edited by jkpenny376

What causes melted fat...oops re read it again and saw what you said. Now in the beginning it was a clear liquid...before it turned reddish brown... I sent an email to my facilitator and awaiting what she says. Is there anything you can do for it or just let it take it's course?

It is a chemical reaction from port and fat. Consider it free weight loss, you don't have to burn it.

If this is what it is, use absorbable guaze. It will likely be a port wine color, might be kinda sticky, consistency of oil, and gross.

You shouldn't be contacting a facilitator, you should be contacting the doctor.