Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded at Northwest Weight Loss (Everett)

I am scheduled for banding on July 5 with Dr. Michaelson. I'm curious why folks chose NWWL over other hospitals/clinics. For me, I started my search there but I also learned about St. Francis from my sister, who will be using Dr. Oh. I liked the inclusive price for the fills.

I am sure you will like the pre and post op options for food better also. I personally can not do protien shakes. Ask for a taste of the medifast when you schedule your appointment or let them know you want to try it. I didn't like it, but then I am not much of a shake person anyway. I also liked the all inclusive price and not having a hospital stay. Also, you get a time to report for surgery rather than a mass check in in the morning. I was in at 7:15 and on my way home by 12:30!

Pinenut, how has it been going for you since you had it done on the 17th? How was the recovery time? I'm hoping to get back to my desk job after 5 days.

I am scheduled for banding on July 5 with Dr. Michaelson. I'm curious why folks chose NWWL over other hospitals/clinics. For me, I started my search there but I also learned about St. Francis from my sister, who will be using Dr. Oh. I liked the inclusive price for the fills.

One big factor for me was that my DH was banded there, and I liked the care I saw him getting.

We choose them originally because of their reputation and how much experience they had banding. Also because of the pre-surgery care, they made very sure we knew what we were getting into. I also like their post-surgery care, where visits and fills are included for the first year.

They are close to where I live and work, so I can go get a fill on a lunch break easily which helps.

I was banded on a Thursday and went to work on Monday! I was hoping for an appointment the next week so I could be out on the Mon. Memorial Day. They were full up already, so I opted for sooner rather than later. I'll tell you that I did wear sweats and was there from about 10 to 2:30, Tuesday I lasted 9-4, and Wed was a full day 7:30 to 4:30. It was tough, but I have a desk job. More troublesome was the getting up and down. I did take a small amt. of my meds at work, and I also laid down on the floor at lunch or when I felt like everything was "sinking" in my tummy. 10 min was good and then back up. Pretty casual at my office (truthfully...I didn't care, I just laid down!). If I had it to do over, I would have waited and tried to work W-F rather than my M-W. You should do fine as long as you are able to REST AND remain in bed with a few trips of walking the hall and going potty. Stay put and medicated and make friends with your heating pad. I have 2 toddlers and it was hard to remain inactive with them, but they understood.

Another thing, FYI, you will want to wear something you don't mind getting spotted with blood after the surgery. My steri strips got kind of gross but they stopped spotting (very minimal) the second day. I kept a hand towel over my belly under my nightgown.

I am now 3 weeks out and feel like my old self. I have lost 17 lb (12 since surgery) and am pretty much eating whatever. I have not had any craving for pop or breads. I do eat crackers and bran muffin, but I can't believe I just toss the Buns. I had some BBQ pork at the Tacoma Fair and it was just great without the bun. I got a pumpkin muffin and have been nibbling off that for 2 days. It really is amazing not feeling like you are always planning for the next meal.

I went at 11 today to get my hair done and had a couple bites of the muffin and some Water about an hour later. I ended up staying for a foil so about 2:30 I got a sourdough chicken at JITB and tossed away the bun and couldn't finish even the chicken. Didn't eat the O-rings either! What is taking me long to discover is that my eyes and mind are bigger than the tummy. I order what I feel is less than before and I still can't eat 1/2 of what I have ordered.

The only thing I am finding uncomfortable is that at night I feel that I get a bit swelled on the port side of my belly and if I have gotten upset and frustrated with the kids not staying in bed (peeves me royally) I feel the port twists or kind of protrudes and I can really feel it. It is uncomfortable, but not PAINfull. Just strange. It feels a bit the same when I get up in the morning. Just kind of walk around with my hand on my tummy. Hope all the info helps!

Hello all,

Just found this NWWLS site and was excited to find others talking about the place I chose for my surgery. I go in on the 19th for consult with nurse/doctor/psych. The doctor I'm seeing is Watkins, any info on him? Both people I talked to in the office said they used him, but it seems everyone here has used Montgomery (my first choice) or Michaelson.

I see that they is a support group on the 11th of June and wondered if I should attend regardless of the fact that I have yet to speak to a doctor. Can anyone help me with this question?

One thing I have found about all the comments on this site is that it looks like it NW was the right choice to make. The first seminar I went to was with Dr. Oh, the downside with him was his requirement of the $60 supplements for the rest of your life......just couldn't see myself paying for that, AS WELL AS the years worth of fills.

Thanks for hearing me out, if you have helpful hints for me, I'd love to hear them.

**Hoping to be banded in mid-July**

;) Welcome to the boards!!

Watkins I THINK was in partnership with Montgomery when NWWLS opened and then Michaelson joined. Either way..... you can't go wrong with anyone from NWWLS and I'm speaking from a pre-op stage... I will be banded on the 21th by Michaelson. I just started my pre-op diet today....

My sister and I will both be at the support group meeting tonight (11th) at 7pm.... hope to see you there... i'm going to use this as a time to pick the brains of others before me!! ;)

Hello all,

Just found this NWWLS site and was excited to find others talking about the place I chose for my surgery. I go in on the 19th for consult with nurse/doctor/psych. The doctor I'm seeing is Watkins, any info on him? Both people I talked to in the office said they used him, but it seems everyone here has used Montgomery (my first choice) or Michaelson.

I see that they is a support group on the 11th of June and wondered if I should attend regardless of the fact that I have yet to speak to a doctor. Can anyone help me with this question?

One thing I have found about all the comments on this site is that it looks like it NW was the right choice to make. The first seminar I went to was with Dr. Oh, the downside with him was his requirement of the $60 supplements for the rest of your life......just couldn't see myself paying for that, AS WELL AS the years worth of fills.

Thanks for hearing me out, if you have helpful hints for me, I'd love to hear them.

**Hoping to be banded in mid-July**

The countdown is one baby!! I get banded on the 21st!! WWoohhhooo...... so far day one of the pre-op diet is not bad.... and neither is the MediFast ;)

ShellMarr,

Thanks for the feedback!! Was really hoping to make it to group this evening, but I had to go in an see another Dr. for some other tests, just got that call this morning!

I'm hoping to make it to the one on the third Thursday at 10am. Living in Bremerton makes planning more complicated.

Enjoy group tonight and bring back some good stuff to share!

Hey ShellMar,

Hope you found the info helpful. I will make it to the St. Joe's meeting hopefully tat he end of the month. Seems to be mostly St Francis patients but I will have to see for myself. Wish I could go to Everett, but the timing is not feasible now. Didn't you mention you were in W Seattle? Maybe we can all meet at some point face to face!

I have been doing good on foods. No PB or anything gross. But I am starting to feel the hunger and I get pretty irratible then. It is true when they tell you to not get too hungry or you will reach for the nearest thing. I have some wheat thins handy in my desk!

Just want to add my 2 cents in on recommending some colase or softener for afterward when you start the pain meds. I am still having a "hard" time in the poop dept. I made 3 trips in a row with the urge at work and was about to get embarrassed, but who cares really? I will make sure and take 'em tonight! FYI: it is very hard to push after with the incision site for your port. also, you share a lot more than you thought you would on this board! :(

PineNut:

Yes, I'm in West Seattle (Alki).... after banding I'll be walking on Alki, so if you want to join me! :)

I'm doing ok on the pre-op diet... I'm down 9 pounds since Monday and I still have 6 more days on it.....:rolleyes: I'm happy to be under 300 again!! :clap2:

Thanks for the advise on not getting hungry!!

I just started taking softeners Wed, because it was very hard :huytsao to poop.....took FOREVER!! And I'm not even on pain med yet....EEEkkkkk. I also have IBS so I've shared A LOT of details about body functions on boards!! LOL:biggrin1:

The 21st is almost here!!!!!

I am excited for you. I have till the 28th to go back for my fill. I had 2 pc. of pizza tonite and I would have liked more. I have not had any trouble with bread or that manner of foods, but I have stayed away from white stuff. I am emotionally ready for the fill. It is time. Then I can look forward to some shopping in the fall! Like others here, I have clothes down to a 20 befire I can rationally purchase anything new. I wasn't in those long enough!