Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Surgeon’s Office Visit a Wrap ~ Things Are Looking Up!

My first visit with the surgeon’s office went pretty well today! It was a big, general waiting area feeding all different types of offices, so I was able to avoid the “lightest person in the bariatric waiting room” situation I feared. Also, the horrible nurse I had a run-in with at the information session has indeed retired. Things are looking up!

There was clearly a premeditated and coordinated effort by the RN, LPN and surgeon to talk me into gastric sleeve. Very tiring… still don’t understand what’s up with that! The stance they’re taking is lap-band is on its way out due to low success rates and unsatisfied patients. Apparently the office hasn’t done a single lap-band since last year. It’s no wonder, with the full-court press to talk everyone out of it. And, I guess patients just blindly follow along. Kinda sad, actually. It makes me think all you wonderful success stories are either on lap-band’s payroll or a figment of my imagination. You aren’t, are you??? LOL!

The really good news is I LOVE the LPN! I’ll see her for pre-op appointments and fills. She’s young, but experienced. Best of all, she doesn’t think I’m out of my tree! She really identifies with me, because our stats are nearly the same, although she hasn’t had bariatric surgery. Apparently she’s considered it though… must be an occupational hazard.

Still research to be done on the surgeon front, as I did not like the gal I saw today. I’m requesting a meeting with the surgeon from the information session. He seemed like a really sharp and high-energy guy. Also, last week, my PCP’s nurse recommended him from her time in general surgery. I was happy to receive the message I’m in control of the situation. Both the surgeon and procedure are MY choice to make and they’ll be happy to care for me regardless.

I left with the nickname “borderline” from the staff. They were really cute about it and I've certainly been called worse! Yes, as suspected, my BMI and other factors are just barely in the qualifying range. But, that’s my whole point! I’m tendering here on the brink of disaster! I feel blessed to be smart enough to realize it and have the resources to make a change. Personally, I would like to choose surgery under my terms instead of waiting for my health to deteriorate. I am too young for the rapid health down spiral that’s already begun.

P.S. Thanks for the pre-appointment tips! I’m now proudly 5’ 7”... no more rounding up to 5’ 8”! Plus, first time I've left a doctor’s office and been ordered NOT to lose weight. That was kinda fun. B)

Ummm, nope we're not on the lap-band payroll! However, if you can find me a job where I can be on the payroll just for being a successful lap-band patient, sign me up cuz I'm there!lol...Make sure that you are comfortable with your choice in surgeons because they WILL be a part of your life from now on. Good luck to you!