Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Non-Band Related Foruns and Threads  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Non-Band Related Foruns and Threads

• Should be left as is
    • Should not be included in the Top 5 or "New Posts" area
    • Should have an ignore feature
    • Other (please explain)

It might be running right down the middle but 2/3rds are saying they would like it changed.

While 2/3 of the people may want some type of "change," I don't think it is totally accurate to say that 2/3 would like "it" changed. People can vote for more than one category in this poll. I think many of the people who voted to "keep it the same" also voted to allow people the option of blocking unwanted threads. Reading what people have written in their posts, I think most people would like to have the system we now have stay in place with the added feature that allows people to block unwanted threads.

I think many of the people who voted to "keep it the same" also voted to allow people the option of blocking unwanted threads.
That's exactly what I did, in hopes that it might stop the bitching and hand-waving over threads that people can already ignore. That's the kicker. We've already got a function that people can use to ignore entire forums, if they would only use it.

I agree!!! :clap2:

(clockwork orange creeps me out though...)

"Creep" is my middle name.

The thing I don't like is having those decisions made for "newbies" or others in order to protect them.

And the thing is, the RNR section is part of the experience of this board now. Sooner or later, newbies are going to see those threads anyway, and have to decide how they want to deal with them.

People just coming on to the site should see everything, so they get a full idea of what this place is about. For every person who might be offended or bemused by the R&R section, there may be another who is attracted to LBT specifically because we have a lively debate section here. Who can say? So I think it's absolutely preferable to allow registered members to change their own preferences, rather than our trying to make decisions for the masses.

I totally agree, that's kind of what I was trying to say in my last post.

Originally Posted by Alexandra viewpost.gif

People just coming on to the site should see everything, so they get a full idea of what this place is about. For every person who might be offended or bemused by the R&R section, there may be another who is attracted to LBT specifically because we have a lively debate section here. Who can say? So I think it's absolutely preferable to allow registered members to change their own preferences, rather than our trying to make decisions for the masses.

Exactly. It would suck if this place turned into another OH, seemingly around just to make a quick buck off the fat folks. I don't want to belong to another place where people can have the posts of other people removed from threads they start, where they are sheltered from life and told that everything they ever do is perfectly okay (even when it's not). To be really blunt, places like that are a dime a dozen on the internet. I love LBT because it's REAL. We aren't children that need to be sheltered from life. Every person that joins LBT is an adult, and adults can deal with RnR on their own. They don't need to be protected. RnR is a part of LBT. If someone disregards LBT just because of one measly little forum, that's their business. I'm sure they would be welcomed to the fold over at OH.

So much for trying to appeal to possibly a younger audience.

There is a lot in the r and r section that is not for younger eyes.

And young bandsters do need a place to find info.

So much for trying to appeal to possibly a younger audience.

There is a lot in the r and r section that is not for younger eyes.

And young bandsters do need a place to find info.

Wait, so we're supposed to appeal to an audience that really isn't FDA approved, anyway? There is nothing in RnR that's above an R rating. And there are very few that I would give an R rating to. If someone is old enough to go to a PG-13 movie, they are old enough to read the posts in RnR.

The way I see it, RnR DOES appeal to the younger bandsters. Many of us aren't quite as conservative as the older ones.

The way I see it, RnR DOES appeal to the younger bandsters. Many of us aren't quite as conservative as the older ones.

That was my first thought too when I saw that comment.

Certainly there are more and more teens getting banded these days, but we've never made any pretensions about being "family-friendly." There's no profanity filter here, for example, which was a considered decision. Weight loss surgery is an adult issue, and I think we assume the reading audience fits that description in spirit, even if not literally.

Just about every forum I've ever been a member of has had an "Off Topic" section much like our lounge. Most of those forums don't have an R&R specific section, they are just all together as they are all 'off topic'. I thought it was nice that our mods separated it, as it gave people the option of NOT going into R&R and seeing those threads and just going to the other section... but the issue to me honestly is that people aren't controlling their curiosity, when they see a post in the new posts section, and are clicking on it, and then becoming upset...

An ignore feature would help with that, but in the meantime, Alexandra's idea will do the exact same thing...

Ok, I think I've found a solution to our little problem. Go to your CP and click on "Edit Options" scroll all the way down until you see "Exclude Forums from "Get New Posts""

Let me know if this works for everyone please.

Ok, I think I've found a solution to our little problem. Go to your CP and click on "Edit Options" scroll all the way down until you see "Exclude Forums from "Get New Posts""

Let me know if this works for everyone please.

That sounds like it will be perfect, but as of right now I can't see that option in my User CP. ;)

That sounds like it will be perfect, but as of right now I can't see that option in my User CP. ;)

I found it on mine. It lets you exclude whole forums. My understanding was that people wanted to exclude specific threads, as opposed to whole forums such as "Rants and Raves." But either way is fine with me. For myself I'm not inclined to exclude anything.

Maybe because I'm a mod I don't have the option. Oh well. ;) (I wouldn't use it, anyway.)

It's probably not technically feasible on a thread level, or I'm sure Alex would have done it that way. But this is a great measure that people can use from time to time if a forum is getting on their nerves. Thanks, Alex!!!