Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Date Taking Too Darned Long

So I got approved on Friday and was so excited. Today I called my surgeon's office and my excitement quickly fizzed. Why is the earliest surgery date available on 11/26... the day before Thanksgiving? The next date after that is December 8th. What the heck? Are that many people having the bariatric surgery?

They are putting me on a wait list. Is it wrong for me to pray that someone else gets cancelled? When will this be over? OMG! :)

That's not as far away as it sounds. You'll need a pre op diet anyway. Congratulations on getting approved!

And sorry to be a buzzkill but I would opt for the December 8 surgery because if you have issues or questions I'm not sure you're going to be able to reach your regular team over Thanksgiving weekend.

I agree about waiting until after turkey day. You don't want to be in a hospital near the holidays. It's dead there and you don't have the full staff on.

And sorry to be a buzzkill but I would opt for the December 8 surgery because if you have issues or questions I'm not sure you're going to be able to reach your regular team over Thanksgiving weekend.

Good Point!! If she has a good surgeon + team then this shouldn't be a problem. My Office has a Surgeon on call at all 24x7 plus holidays on a rotating basis. It is definitely something I would check in to.

If it were me I would scoop that day up in heartbeat. I wanted the surgery and the new life start. Fact that it is so close to a holiday would tell me the place would be empty of patients as well. You would get even more attentive care.

I guess it depends on how bad you want to start that next Chapter.....

So long as YOU are NOT giving the big family meal, I'd go for it!

Most doctors only operate two or three days a week. There should be a bariatric wing in the hospital. Most doctors require a two night stay for the sleeve. If you are concerned about staffing; I'd ask the doctor and express your concerns.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I did schedule the surgery for November 26th. Once I thought about it, I realized I have 48 thanksgiving dinners. I can give up one in the name of my new life. I'm not cooking so it's not a problem. I've been working hard for the last 3 months and I'm 16 pounds down. Don't want anything to get me down now! I called and scheduled the day. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!

I'm there with you. Got insurance approval on 10/08/14. Going through True Results in Houston. When I went for consultation appt on 9/17/2014. They set surgery goal for end of October, but despite less than a week to get approval from insurance company, still waiting for the medical director at True Results to release my records to the Surgeon so that I can have Preop visit and schedule procedure. I need preop appt for 10/21/14 to have any hope on getting procedure done during my surgical goal date window. I've done everything ahead of time based on there pre surgical map plan, but still major stall. Praying to hear from someone today. (Fingers, toes and eyes crossed). Good luck! We are probably just super anxious. Like kids waiting on Christmas Day. Lol

Hi Guys, I'm back with a brand new surgery date. Someone's surgery got cancelled and they called to asked if I want to be banded on 10/27!!! Pre-op diet is in full effect!!!!

Now I'm a nervous wreck :).

Congratulations on your new date. The hardest part is waiting once you get the date.

I got my date (November 19, 2014). So excited. ???? I have even stated getting ready for the 2 weeks liquid diet. During the day I've been drinking the Protein drinks along with all types of liquids, like broth, Jello and ice pops. I eat dinner when I get home. Then 2 days last week I went the entire day liquids. I did good. My family helped by cooking dinner, I went into my bed room ????. This test really helped me. The thought of going cold turkey all at once was causing me stress. I lost 10 pds already. I even thought of not doing the surgery but I know the 10 pds won't stay off if I don't get the lap ban. I took the 10 pd loss as a sign that I am ready for this and I can do it.

Lisa

I am starting liquid diet tomorrow ????. I am ready, I have been practicing for weeks now. What I mean by practicing it is I have gone a few days without eating ( liquids only) just to see how I feel. The first day I did get a really bad headache but after that the headache went away. I did that a few times and so I think I'm really ready for the full 2 weeks. Already lost 8pds. I will be cooking for the week for my family. Big pot of chiili, spaghetti sauce, and stew. I will label everything and they are set. We had a family meeting because I need their support. The 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after are the hardest. I am determined to do this. I am nervous and scared but I am also very excited.

So I got approved on Friday and was so excited. Today I called my surgeon's office and my excitement quickly fizzed. Why is the earliest surgery date available on 11/26... the day before Thanksgiving? The next date after that is December 8th. What the heck? Are that many people having the bariatric surgery?

They are putting me on a wait list. Is it wrong for me to pray that someone else gets cancelled? When will this be over? OMG! :)

I was approved and could have had a November date but opted for December 8th gives me time to mentally prepare and enjoy Thanksgiving..... ????????☺ But be good to go by Christmas ⛄

Did a lot of planning, making sure my family would have enough food for the month of November. Now that I have finish planning and have nothing but my thoughts, I am feeling a little depressed. Not sure why, but while I was running around trying to make sure that everything was set for my family, I didn't have to really think about much. But now everything is done and I feel like focusing on myself is making me depressed. I saw a woman at my job yesterday eating a bag of chips and I thought to myself I'm going to miss some salt vinegar chips. I'm scared, I'm scared of not being able to eat the foods I want to eat, I'm scared of the pain after the surgery, i'm scared of something going wrong during the surgery, I'm scared of not being successful. Having second thoughts. Just woke up feeling like I wanted to cry. Not to mention I am hungry and I don't feel well. The waiting for the surgery is the worst. The days ate going by so slow. I keep looking at the calendar.

OMG, all the commercials on TV are about food, McDonald's, Burger King, Italian food, everything is about food. It looks so good, going on day five of the liquid diet. ????