Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nearly 5 months post-OP and overeating

I was sleeved on May 21, 2014. I have lost 96 lbs since surgery, with a total loss of 132 lbs since January 7, 2014 (when I started my WLS journey). I would like to lose an additional 150lbs.

Some days I feel really good about my weight loss. I go to the gym 4-5 times a week, doing an hour or so of cardio and ground strength training. I meet with a trainer 1-2x a week to keep me motivated and focused. I honestly never thought I would be willingly going to the gym. Other days I feel like the end is so far away and I'm starting to get tired of this process. I know it's an entire lifestyle change but it feels exhausting sometimes.

My recent struggle has been with food. I was really good about sticking to 600 calories a day, high Protein, no carbs for the first three months. But lately I find myself snacking here on there on empty calories that add up, about an additional 300-400 calories I don't need and shouldn't have. I know I'm overeating for the emotional comfort, which is almost ironic because nearly every time I end up feeling sick and have to throw up the excess food. The cycle continues.

In the last two months I was sexually assaulted and laid off, both unrelated, but both have really rocked my foundation. I've been trying to stay focused and am seeing my therapist very frequently. Nevertheless, sometimes it feels like I can't control myself and end up overeating or snacking on the unhealthy Snacks my roommates bring into my apartment.

Does anyone have any suggestions on dealing with emotional eating post-op? I am still losing but not as much or as quickly as I think I could be. I really don't want to fail or sabotage myself.

Any help or encouragement is welcomed. Thank you in advance!

Wow this is a bucket full of trauma that you are dealing with. Being sexually assaulted is a life changer for anyone. It is not a simple matter to deal with and like anyone who suffers from an addiction, we go where we find the most comfort. And for us who suffer from the disease it is FOOD!

I understand that the pressure has been enormous but eating junk is only going to stir up those cravings again and make it much harder for you to reach your goal. Failing is not an option here. You have to push forward to find the strength within yourself to deal with what has happened to you. Eating right with give your mind and body one less thing to worry about during this time. I know this must be very very hard and I am so sorry for your recent life changers.

You have to remember you have come so far and there is only a goal in front of you and better health and well being. But and I say but...You have to get through this horrible event before it takes hold and changes you in ways you don't expect or want. Please work this out so you can put it behind you and not let it rule your life. He is not worth it. I am so sad that you have had this happen to you. It is an injustice that happens to women all over the world. The person who did this is weak and inhuman. Not a man at all. But a child wanting power over someone else. You need to look at him as he is a perpetrator and you the victim. No doubt in my mind this has a lot to do with your new found eating habits.

Protect you. Look after you. You will be stronger if you do! Forward and back on track will help you feel more in control in a life right now that is out of control.

My heart goes out to you. Sending hugs!

Jane

In my opinion, 600 calories a day is crazy as far out as you are, especially with all of your exercising. Would you be willing to give yourself permission to eat 1000 calories per day, as long as the extra calories come from high Protein foods and low carb veggies and fruits? I make no promises, but I will tell you I have found that I lose best when I am eating between 1000 and 1100 calories per day, as long as I stay low carb. I really think that trying to stay under 600 calories per day might be what is driving you to eat 300-400 calories worth of crap.

I am so, so sorry about what you have been going through. You are an amazingly strong person to be dealing with sexual assault and losing your job!

I think 50 Ways to Soothe Yourself Without Food by Susan Albers might be helpful. It gives you behaviors and strategies to use instead of eating to comfort yourself.