Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restaurant & Airport Courtesy for Lap-Band People

Has anyone received a card - one that is given to lap-band patients that you take with you when you go out to eat :hungry: that says you are a lap-band recipient and the establishment must honor your ordering off the kids menu or asking for a smaller portion and adjusting the price accordingly?

Second card you take with you when you travel because the port will set off the security alarms at the airport. :rolleyes: The card says something like you are a lap-band recipient, and you have a devise installed in your body that will set off the the alarms?

I went to a seminar at Grand Park Surgical Center in Merrillville, Indiana, and they mentioned these two cards that the patients are given to make things easier on them eating out and traveling. When i asked them today for a copy of those cards to present to my surgeon at the hospital I am now with, they said they would not give me one, that it was reserved for "their patients" and that quote: "All training and availabilities are offered to all performing providers. "

Does anyone have such cards that they care share with me what the wording is so that St. Margaret Mercy Hospital in Dyer, Indiana can create them for their patients?

Thank you.

Has anyone received a card - one that is given to lap-band patients that you take with you when you go out to eat :hungry: that says you are a lap-band recipient and the establishment must honor your ordering off the kids menu or asking for a smaller portion and adjusting the price accordingly?

Second card you take with you when you travel because the port will set off the security alarms at the airport. :rolleyes: The card says something like you are a lap-band recipient, and you have a devise installed in your body that will set off the the alarms?

I went to a seminar at Grand Park Surgical Center in Merrillville, Indiana, and they mentioned these two cards that the patients are given to make things easier on them eating out and traveling. When i asked them today for a copy of those cards to present to my surgeon at the hospital I am now with, they said they would not give me one, that it was reserved for "their patients" and that quote: "All training and availabilities are offered to all performing providers. "

Does anyone have such cards that they care share with me what the wording is so that St. Margaret Mercy Hospital in Dyer, Indiana can create them for their patients?

Thank you.

I've flown 3 times since surgery and never set off an alarm. but no, I don't have a card. I didn't even get eating directions with my surgery

I have no cards either. I was told that the lap band would not set off any air port secuirty measures since it is made out of silicone.

hi,

congrats on being banded.

that card that says a restaurant MUST let you order off the kids menu? it may say that but the restaurant can look and you and so NO. i dont even bother with that. i just order off the regular menu and ask for a box when the meal comes. it lasts for a couple of days. there are some places that let you order half portions (macaroni grill) for a reduced price, but i'd rather just have lunch for the next day.

you will not have problems at the airport. i work for an airline and go thru security all the time and have not had any issues.

I have to wonder if that place is a scam. Cause everything went WRONG there and since I have left them, I see all their wrong doings. Beware of Grand Park Surgical Center in Merrillville Indiana. Ask plenty of questions and be sure to keep on TOP of your own paperwork. If you choose to use them, I wish you the best of luck. I don't think those cards exist at all either. And I never throught that it would set off airport alarms! Thanks for the quick response!

You're right. They made it sound like "Oh everyone in the world is knowledgable about lap-band patients and honor all their requests for only being served 4 oz of a meal!" I continue to see how deceiving that place really was! I am so grateful I left them. I am not banded yet. I get banded on May 29, 2007!!!!!!!!!! thank you so much for your response about the airport. Glad to know the truth resides out there somewhere! Have a great day!

I have a card and it explains that I have had weight loss surgery and can only eat a few oz at a time. It also shows what the band looks like in an x-ray type picture. I also travel frequently and have never set off any alarms. ~Mandy

I got a little bag at my post-op visit. It is from Inamed (makers of the band) There was a fill tracker, weight loss tracker, and my card. There is also a booklet about the healing process and post-op diet. If you don't get one from the surgeon you can call Inamed and they will send you one. ~Mandy

No not laminated, it's a plasticish material, very hard to destroy. ~Mandy

Who is Inamed? The manufacturer of the devise? Just in case, how does one contact them? Thanks for all the information!

Every time I've tried to use my card, I've been told No, they don't do that. So I don't even carry it with me anymore. Leftovers are great!

And I travel quite a bit as well and have never set of any alarms....

I have a resturant card, and have had it honored a couple of times, but I find there isn't much on the kids menu in most places that I want. I tend to order stuff I know will good as leftovers and just take much of it home. I like getting 3 meals from one!

I have a "green card" that says

"This person has had a Gastric Restrictive Surgery and should never have a NG Tube placed without proper visualization. Also he/she would not be able to eat a "full meal" and should be allowed to order a Child's Portion."

I got it from my doctors office and I was given that same bag with the Inamed one (that I misplaced). It works sometimes. Ryans Buffet took it twice, went there today for lunch and the manager said they do not honor them anymore. It really upset me at first, then I realized I was saving only $2-$3, so I just don't eat there that much anyway.

The part about the NG tube is more of a concern for me than the child's portion. That is what I really need to remember if I ever need an NG tube.

BTY.....my doctor is in New Orleans, and they give the cards to thier patients.