Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Energy come find me!

So I've been going to the gym walking for about an hour and a half no issues. Today I'm walking at 2.5 with a 1.5 incline. After 30 mins I was tired. How can I gain more energy or is this my body telling me slow down right now?

How do you boost your energy? Is it more Protein more Vitamins?

I was dead man walking until my blood labs highlighted that I was extremely low on B12. Doc prescribed B12 shots and I am like a new person. I get in 11 or more miles a day now walking, walking, walking. I am retired so I have the time and I hate sitting still now. I have to be up and moving. Good thing is even the dog is loosing weight. Poor girl! Ha! She sees the leash and says "really, again?" ????

how long ago were you sleeved? how far along are you in your recovery?

Assuming you're getting 7-8 hours of sleep at night, could be Vitamin deficiency, could be dehydration or lack of protein\carbs. Yes, an active body needs carbs! I'd start with 1/2 a Protein Bar before and 1/2 after the workout and increasing Water consumption. If you heavily restrict carbs in your diet, add some complex carbs. If you're still tired get your blood checked.

Definitely have a carb-y snack before your workout. fruit or whole grains if you are allowed to have those yet. I usually do a half a whole grain mini pita with some hummus or Peanut Butter or part of an apple with some Peanut Butter. And make sure you follow your workout with a high Protein snack/meal within 2 hours.

How many calories are you eating? I'm doing 60 minutes of "brisk walking" per day right now, which burns over 500 calories according to my heart rate monitor, so I've been trying to eat at LEAST 800 calories a day, usually more like 900. If you are only eating like 600 calories a day and burning 500+ through exercise, you are essentially anorexic (Anorexia Athletica), which of course means you will be tired! You need to eat enough calories to sustain your level of activity.

ok, i would think at 9 days out it is entirely normal for you to be tired after exerting yourself. you're probably not even on "real" food yet!

I'm 9 days out. I wish I could eat some fruit.< /p>

I'm shocked you are allowed to exercise only 9 days out. I wasn't supposed to start exercising with 60-90 minutes of "brisk walking" until Day 21.

I was only allowed to do slow, brief bouts of walking prior to that. And I'm not allowed to do any more intense exercise than "brisk walking" until 2 months out.

Edited by JamieLogical

I'm shocked you are allowed to exercise only 9 days out. I wasn't supposed to start exercising with 60-90 minutes of "brisk walking" until Day 21.

I was only allowed to do slow, brief bouts of walking prior to that. And I'm not allowed to do any more intense exercise than "brisk walking" until 2 months out.

According to my dr. I'm allowed to keep sipping and moving. Walking at a slow pace is fine provided the individual feel up to it. Now previous days I wasn't walking at 2.5 but I felt I could today. However my body told me to slow it down after 30 mins. Lesson learned. But I don't feel that was brisk or intense at all considering what I was doing prior. My dr did tell me to keep the length of time down and short but multiple walks are better.

According to my dr. I'm allowed to keep sipping and moving. Walking at a slow pace is fine provided the individual feel up to it. Now previous days I wasn't walking at 2.5 but I felt I could today. However my body told me to slow it down after 30 mins. Lesson learned. But I don't feel that was brisk or intense at all considering what I was doing prior. My dr did tell me to keep the length of time down and short but multiple walks are better.

Then I guess you've answered your own question. Doing 2.5 miles in one go is too much for you right now considering your calorie intake and where you are at in your recovery. The only way you are going to see a boost in energy to the point where you can comfortably do that level of activity is to take in more calories and Protein and allow yourself to fully recover from the major surgery you had only 10 days ago.

It all has to come in time. Be sure to give your body that time. It needs to heal. When I started walking the first week after surgery I was lucky to get in 2000 steps. Then before I knew it I was reaching 6000 and then 8000 steps. After a couple of weeks I was regularly getting in 10000 steps each day... That is almost 5 miles. Keep in mind all these step achievements were a combination of 2 or 3 short walks each day. Now after 3 months I get 10000 steps in each walk! I average 9 to 12 miles each day, usually achieving this in 2 walks. Never did I get fatigued because I listened to my body and did not overdo it. Just remember to build up your exercise gradually and you will meet progressive goals as time goes on.