Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it too much to ask?

I just want to be banded before August 2nd. I have to change insurance policies then, and if they schedule me after that date, I'll have to have all my stuff resubmitted to insurance. Right now, they have me meeting with the surgeon on August 1st, which means that I will be banded after the 2nd.

Lauren...

You really have to start pitching a bloody fit and insisting that people get their collective acts together. This is beyond silly! GO GET 'EM!

I'm just so afraid that if I make a fuss, they'll intentionally screw something up and delay me even longer. I am seriously thinking of just calling the office manager up and begging her to try to find me an earlier appointment. The problem is that the surgeon is on maternity leave until sometime in July. At this point, I don't care if they have to sqeeze me in somewhere, I just want to be banded!

Did you tell the doc's office about your insurance situation? If not, I would try explaining that to them, that's $$ they'll potentially lose and might light a fire under their ass.

Did you tell the doc's office about your insurance situation? If not, I would try explaining that to them, that's $$ they'll potentially lose and might light a fire under their ass.
They know, I just don't think they care.

Laurend, you have GOT to pitch a fit! Think about it this way, if you don't see them until the 1st, you'll still be delayed because of the new insurance (which BTW, have you spoken with your new ins company and gotten it in writing that they cover the band?), so what if they delay you for putting your foot down? You're going to be delayed either way. And if that office truly operates in a way that doesn't care about what their patient's are going through, then you might want to consider looking elsewhere. I chose to go with a much less lapband experienced surgeon than the first one I chose for that very reason, her office practices were somewhat shady and deceptive to me. She's placed TONS of bands and is a HIGHLY respected band surgeon, but they make you use their docs for all your pre-op stuff (and that costs big bucks out of pocket) and they also don't tell you about the astronomical mandatory "support" group fee that is also out of pocket. Didn't even tell us in the information session, and when I brought it up because I read about it on OH, it was glossed over very quickly.

Anyhoos, I met with the surgeon I'm going to go with and asked him some very pointed questions about his technique and experience and I was very satisfied with his responses. Other than how long it takes at the office everytime I'm there, I really can't complain about the staff, they're accomodating and kind and knowledgeable and have bent over backwards trying to help me with my approval (which I got).

Something to consider.

You need to get assertive. Thats what I had to do here to get my Psych approval. What if your next insurance doesnt cover the band? Start calling every other day and ask about cancellations, jump on them now!!

They know, I just don't think they care.

You got to get them moving. Because believe or not even though their doctors Sometimes it seems as if they act like We'll it's not me so why should I rush. KICK IT INTO GEAR FOR YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!:angry

If it already looks like it's going to be after August 2nd, I'm not sure how much worse pitching a fit could make it, honestly.

You might consider saying something to the effect of "If I don't have this done by August 2nd, I need to resubmit to my new insurance company and if I have to redo all of this anyway, I'll redo it with someone else who cares more about their patients". Even if it's a bluff (I don't know what options you have in your area), it might get their attention

I agree with Marimaru... and honestly, I would start looking for another surgeon anyhow... even if it means travelling a bit. You're going to have a lifetime relationship with these people.. they should be the kind of people you WANT to have around. Good luck with everything!

I just don't want to have to change surgeons again. This is my second one. If I change again, I'll have to go with someone out of state, because the only other surgeon in this state that my insurance will pay for is very pro-RNY.

The new policy is with the same company I am with now, and is exactly the same as the one I have now. I am just being forced to get my own policy (right now I am on my parents' policy) when I turn 24 on August 2nd. The company is really good about giving quick approvals (once they have all the materials, that is), so I doubt it would take very long to get reapproved, but I just don't want to wait that long.

I disagree. I would use an much softer and perhaps more effective approach. I would call and explain the insurance situation calmly and then tell them that besides that, you are fearful of having a stroke or heart attack before you even get to see the doctor. A little tears, a few pleadings might help. You could even say that you are very committed to this surgeon and don't want to have to look elsewhere (rather than accusing them of not caring about their patients).

Can you tell I'm Canadian!:)

Good luck!

Well, I just sent the office manager an email. I asked if I could be put on a cancellation list, so that if an appointment came open, I could get in earlier. I also mentioned how nervous I was about having to resubmit to insurance once the new policy takes effect, and how I will be starting classes again in mid-August.

Okay, I heard back from the office manager. She's working on getting me moved up, because they don't want to have to resubmit my stuff. She said that I should hear something from them by next week.

I could tell from the tone of her email that she was getting irritated by me, but I couldn't care less. If she hadn't lost my stuff in the first place, I probably wouldn't be in the position of having to nag her about it. And from my experiences with her, I learned that if I don't keep after her, she either doesn't get things done very quickly.