Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op Food Discouraged

I am now about 30 days post op and I had one bad week where I just felt like life would crumble if I couldn't eat. Its a mind thing I love to cook and I am into "real" food not boxed or pre made of packaged and try to avoid anything processed all together.

I have lost about 45pounds at this point from my highest weight and most of which was lost in the last two months.

I'm having a bunch of difficulties with food I'm not sure when I am full I try many different things and I get awkward reactions to all kinds of stuff. Its almost like a huge puzzle I can't piece together because if I get it wrong its likely I will hurl. Thank Goodness hurling isn't violent now as it was before surgery or I'd be afraid my stomach would fly out.

I don't nearly get enough Protein in and Water. I do try to sip on Water all day but sometimes it causes cramping or upset tummy. Mind you I have had morning sickness all my life I think that still plays a huge factor these days.

Right now I'm able to hold down cheerios and milk. There is also a bolt Protein shake the entire bottle gives you 30grams of Protein and is coffee flavored. I can sip on that most of the day sometimes it causes my tummy to get angry. I tried adding some powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury to it and couldn't get out the bathroom for nothing.

I tried to go back to my pre - op shakes and they just don't hang out very well either. They end up being wasted because I can't finish them.

I had to reschedule my follow up for this coming week and I will definitely be asking him all kinds of questions.

I'm thinking about going back to juicing to make sure I get enough protein and Vitamins in I know that method is sure to get me at least that. I'm not sure how my stomach will behave though.

Anyone who's not into processed foods or vegetarian have a method that is working for them?

I'm not completely vegetarian but I try to lean more that route than meat. meat seems to have a negative affect on my stomach (IBS) reactions. I eat it if I have too but try to avoid the cramping.

Otherwise I'm doing well I get out shower and have noticed my body changing in extreme. Things (skin) is getting loose quickly. I find it intriguing that when I did a juicing fast and vegetarian for 100 days I lost about 40lbs and it was clearly from a different location.

Anyone know why the sleeve methods forces your arms to waddle? back drag? and all those other loose areas I have going on?

Yes! No processed food! Your my kind of girl....lol

I remember so well feeling like I was in am maze where I could not find my way out. I felt lost and confused after surgery. It was explained to me what I was supposed to eat. But I had no guide to follow. I started to try foods and some did not sit right while others like fish was my main go to food.

In time you will find your way we all do. I eat very healthy. Using old world grains and mostly about 90% scratch made food. It is all trial and error to see what suits the new you. I find I like foods that I disliked before surgery and some that I died for stuff I don't go near. You will do the same.

Thirty days out you are still healing and your system has taken a hit. You will recover and go forward.

It is not the time to worry about skin being loose. That is a badge of honor for your hard work right now. Deal with WLS one day at a time. One hour at a time and one minute at a time. And you will reach your goal. Leave the other stuff for the future.

Learn to retrain your brain and the body will follow. Hide the scale for now as well okay. You need to concentrate on getting better and stay the course and you WILL lose.

All the best! :)

Your sensitivities to food are much stronger than mine (I can tell that from your post), so I don't know how much my experience will be useful. But here's what works for me at almost 7 weeks post-op:

* Of all the meats, my tummy still likes chicken the best. However, it doesn't like DRY chicken at all. I eat grilled chicken with a small amount of sour cream, and that helps a lot. I also grind up canned chicken with Lite Miracle Whip and pickle relish for very delish chicken salad. And other recipes.

* eggs (poached, omelette with cheeses) are tolerated pretty well.

* Milk (especially warm milk) is tolerated very well.

It's good you're seeing your surgeon this week. I am betting you'll do much better when you figure out how to take in enough Protein.

Finally, I've never been a juicer, so I don't come from a place of enthusiasm about that way of eating. But it seems to me like that's the wrong way to go post-WLS. Yes, sugars make us feel good temporarily. But they also feed our carb-addiction monsters. And they don't repair our still-healing bodies like Protein does.

Mostly, I want to say I hope you feel much better very soon.

• RJ'S/beginning seems like its difficult to find people whom are more on the natural side of things that have had surgery ;(
  • VSGAnn2014 eggs were my favorite I can't eat them fixed in any method right now they all make me hurl sadly.

Juicing can depending on what you use have sugar in it however it would be natural sugar not to mention fruits and veggies repair your body in many ways that Protein does not.

That's the one thing since starting this journey. My nutritionist she was such an odd one I would explain that I eat more veggies than I do meat because meat hurts my stomach more than it helps. Not to mention some veggies and seafood in fact have more Proteins than meat. Pretty much you don't need meat to survive many people live just fine and healthy without meat. She used to get so angry with me for wanting to eat veggies. I never liked that at all she would encourage me to eat packaged processed foods. Sad Face

Packaged processed foods is what got me to fat to begin with....sick and fat. Bleh!

I have noticed also that things that are dry are harder or do not work where as things that are soft and moist seem to work really well. Maybe I'm just transitioning still and will have to wait to eat more types of food. It just gets mundane without a variety.

The problem is that the volume of vegetables you would have to consume would be too much....even though there is lots of Protein in vegetables. I hate the taste of artificial sugar but at least for the first six months to a year, I'm willing to follow the instructions given....to get the results I'm seeing around here. As our tummies heal, metabolisms reset, I'm sure the artificial sweeteners can subside and real food can be consumed. I read that someone found a Protein Powder sweetened with s t evia....I spent many years being a fat know it all vegan....I literally cannot tolerate wheat, corn or soy...I think the processed foods are temporary...

Just to advise I have followed the doctors/nutritionist diet for almost a year and Protein shakes for over two months.

I think that's the problem I should of kept up my non processed diet up until surgery then I would of had packages for a shorter period. It just doesn't jive with my tummy. ;(

I am working on making a hearty beef and vegetable Soup in the ninja maybe tomorrow when it's cooked I can tolerate a bit of that.

If not back to the Cheerios! Haha

I did find some milk tonight at the store with added Protein. We were noticing that almost everything these days says xx protein on the label kind of cool!!!

That will make each little cup of Cheerios I eat 12-15 grams of protein. Better than 0 I am sure.

My beef Soup / stew with veggies cooked all the way down everything broke up into almost an unrecognizable state. I had some about 8 hours ago I'd say about 3-4oz chewed really really well and its still there stuck in my throat and my tummy is angry about it. (it was delicious though)

I think that is convinced me I should just stay away from meat a bit longer for sure. I think I'll try to make things with crab meat that I can eat or eat salmon or something like that.

I did find some Protein boosting grains today to add to my cheerios so that will bring one cup to about 25grams of Protein that's super helpful in my challenge to increase Proteins.

I suppose its like I was just born and I have to go out and find new foods....haha ;)