Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hiya! I'm new to the forums, newly sleeved, and taking in a lot of new information.

I had the VSG with Dr. Ortiz at the Obesity Control Center on 9/24/14. I did a lot of research before choosing this surgeon/facility, and I was very happy with my choice. The procedure went well, and I'm recovering nicely with no difficulties.

I chose the OCC because of its International Center of Excellence designation, and its price point, and what was covered in the package cost, and the great things that previous patients had to say about them. I chose Mexico because I had to go self-pay and it was the only affordable option.

I'm currently on full liquids for another 7 days, then on to pureed foods. Another 30 days before I get to solid foods. It seems like a long way out there, but I realized that by Thanksgiving I need to have some plan for dealing with the holidays and family get-togethers. I learned a lot about surgery: pre- and post- diets and recovery. But I don't know nearly enough about how to eat for the next three months, the next six months, the rest of my life.

That's one of the reasons it's really great to connect with other sleevers, and read about other people's experiences with living with a VSG.

Anyhow, thanks for being here and I look forward to meeting and learning with you all.

~Evie

Hey there! I anticipate getting approved for surgery here in the US. BUT....if I don't get approved I am planing on clearing out the credit cards and heading for Mexico. Glad to hear things went well for you. If you don't mind me asking ...how much did you have to pay?

Hi Evie, good to hear you had an uneventful surgery and recovery. This is truly an amazing journey to health. I had my surgery in February and each month proves more promising in reaching my goal to good health. I feel so much better and I know you will feel all these good changes very soon. Stick with the plan and don't get discouraged, it's a process and you have to go through each stage until you find a new sense of normalcy. I'll be looking forward to seeing some of your posts.

Welcome and congratulations. I've learned a ton from this site so you are definitely in the right place.

Glad you are doing well.

Hi Evie,

My name is Donna and I am seriously considering getting sleeved! Have you had any complications? Do you have to go for follow ups? Did they give you a special diet to follow before surgery? I apologize for all of the questions, but I am so nervous. What hospital did you go to? Any information you can give me would be much appreciated. Good Luck and blessings on your weight loss journey.

Best regards,

Donna

Hi I too am new to this type of communication, though I am very comfortable with computers. I had my VSG in Boston on Sept 29, 2014. As I experience recovery, I have the added issue of a need for knee replacement ASAP. Walking is barely accomplished to get me to the bathroom. It is frustrating. It will be nice to read others posts and experiences. I have joined an evening support group in another city that meets once a month closer to my home. I think I need all the support I can get, and I think this will help with daily and weekly thinking. Looking forward to hearing success stories. CANOEINNH

I was sleeved the 14th of September in Tijuana with Dr. E. Ortiz at a lighter me. It was easy, no pain, no problems, no issues. I paid $4,400 US.

I have found that at this point you can't over eat, nor can you really eat anythng you shouldn't as it comes right back up. Small bites, chew, chew, chew and enjoy. My story is a little different as I work away from home, and went back to work a week after being sleeved. I work eight hours from home, in a very remote location 1.5 hours from the closest small town, so I've had to make due with what I brough with me, and what the camp I'm staying in can provide.

You can eat the turkey, you can eat the stuffing, you can eat what ever, but really small portions and slowly, enjoy this new tool, but don't let it rule your life! The most important thing is Protein, get in as much of that as possible!

Thanks for all the replies! Very encouraging. :-)

@@Donna Zamarron, I had no complications. I had to lose at least 5% (and up to 10%) of my start weight before surgery. The OCC has its own surgical facilities, which are up to USA standards, in my opinion.

@, they were offering a package that included ground transport from and to San Diego airport and between the hotel and clinic; hotel for 4 nights, and the surgery. The cost was $6500. I paid $500 deposit and the rest with a cashier's check. Post-op meds were an additional $189, as were meals for my companion. Airfare was not included. This price was a "special" so of course there's no guarantee it will still be offered in the future, but their website was totally up-front about costs and their concierge was great about confirming everything for me.

Tijuana was probably the closest Mexican facility for me, because I live on the west coast. If you're traveling from midwest or east coast it might not be as convenient. I liked the short return flight, 'cause I wasn't feeling fabulous and flying is never exactly fun.