Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The beginning of my journey

One of the first friends I told was not supportive - she kept saying, "you look great as you are! You're not even that big!" and I kept saying over and over - that I had high BP, high cholesterol, arthritis and now diabetes. After her reaction, I decided to tell less and less people. It's 8 weeks now and I still haven't put it on FB. I told people who I felt would be supportive. I'm sure others have found out, but I did not need to deal with defending my choices with all the prep and anxiety I had on my own already. It's your decision and you don't need anyone's negativity.

I am sort of glad I didn't work out hard before hand, because my recovery has been kind of long and there's been LOTS of couch sitting. I'm pretty sure I would have lost all the muscle I had anyway. I'm almost ready to get back to the gym now and have a long way to go because of all the sitting.

it was the same with me. People look at me and they say oh you're not the big O what do you need the surgery for, as my aunt said just push away from the table. And I told my aunt it didn't work for you.

I have some of my coworkers who say she's going to come back looking all sexy.

For the most part it is my decision, and I thought about it long and hard. I looked at my mother and it scared me. My mother has congestive heart failure or, high cholesterol, type two diabetes, she gets like ulcers, cyst that just appear all over her body, she's 63 and started walking with a cane. And I just keep saying to myself, I can't let that be me.

When I was younger I often said to myself that if I ever got over 300 pounds I would have to do something drastic. And I got to 303 pounds in April of this year and i'm doing something about it. I want to be in the best shape of my life in 2 years at my 40th birthday. I already have plans to have a senior prom.

Good point Betty Boop, no one will be checking my tummy for scars. I was just being silly. And no, I have not complained about my imaginary hernia. It's not like I am going to lie, I just need to keep all focus on me. I can't be worrying about how others will react and how I tell them, blah, blah, blah!

Good Morning everyone,

I've read all the responses to my initial post and I appreciate all the feedback. What I've learned thus far is this....don't stock up on Protein shakes before hand because I might not like them. Which brings me to another question. If I don't like Protein Shakes, would it be safe to say that I should invest in a Protein supplement powder to mix to taste...you know, with a wine or some spirit...hehe, just kidding. If someone knows of a protein supplement that mixes well with everything that they might have purchased at GNC let me know what it's called.

Also, I've read that these weight loss surgeries creates the potential for an individual to develop a drinking problem. Has anyone else ever heard of this? Why would that be? I would think alcohol would make your stomach burn. I did have a friend who went to Mexico to get the lap band surgery and I swear she lived off of White Russians for a while when she returned and had some serious problems due to no structured after care and no one watching he behavior. She got to forgo the pre care and after care and paid the price for that big time. Thoughts anyone?

Robin

Yeah, from watching my best friend and my husband I can say that RNY makes you a real cheap date. ha ha. It sails right through your stomach and absorbs very quickly via your small intestines, I believe. So for people who really love to sit and sip all night long, you can get very drunk. I'm not a drinker, so I'm just observing.

Hi Robin... I am a brand newbie here.... just getting ready to attend the 12 week education classes required... and much of what you said in original post I mirror...lol. I have many of the same questions and am stoked to be on this journey. Best of luck to you.