Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm not sure what's happening. I notice I take little sips but a minute or so later I feel this pain at the top of my stomach like it's trying to go down or something. I'm confused. Anyone know what that is? Am I sipping too much too fast?

always recommend talking to your doc about it, see if you can duplicate it at your next appt. He knows your insides better than anyone at this point.

For me this type of pain could happen for a variety of reasons. I would recommend experimenting a bit with the following things and see what works for you.

Too big of a sip

liquid too hot or too cold

Using a straw

Drinking something that's been through the blender aka had air infused it in

Drinking too close in time after I've eaten (and if it's close enough its more than pain it's puking)

Drinking something when my stomach is completely empty and I should be hungry

And alcohol does this for me too so I'm avoiding it for the most part.

The top of my stomach is now like a funnel so often times it makes weird dinosaur sounding gurgling noises. And if i push it too much, then I'll get the pain because of the back up in my esophagus. Hope this helps you understand some possibilities. Hope you figure out what it is for you.

How far out are you from surgery? I had all sorts of discomfort while sipping for the first week and a half or so, but it was better once the swelling went down in my stomach.

Good info thanks. I'm 4 days out.

Oh yeah. Then it's completely normal. The tissue of your stomach is still swollen from the surgery, so it's very sensitive and there's VERY little room in there for anything. For the first week and a half for me, every time I took even the TINIEST sip (like barely getting my tongue wet), there was this whole routine that my body went through. First there was this gurgling in my chest. Then my esophagus would constrict (painful part). Then I would have to burp. EVERY SINGLE sip was like that. But it got better and better and now I don't feel anything at all like that unless I am eating food way too fast or taking really big bites. So hang in there! Once the swelling goes down, things get MUCH easier.

Thanks Jamie that's exactly what I'm feeling. Every single sip no matter how small it is. Thank God this is normal.

It sucks so bad in the beginning and it's hard to keep perspective. But, I promise you it gets SO MUCH better! I'm a month post op now and I feel a billion times better than I did week 1. I honestly feel almost completely normal most of the time now and back during those early days I couldn't even remember what normal felt like. So hang in there!

Oh! I forgot to mention! One thing that helped me sometimes in those early days was to march in place while I was trying to drink.