Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleep study anxiety?

I have to get a sleep study done. Now, I'm an insomniac, and I have essentially no sleep schedule. (Case in point: it's currently 2:30 AM and I haven't slept in about 25 hours.) Some days I'll sleep only an hour or two, and some days I'll sleep 10+ hours, and there's really no specific rhyme or reason to the whole thing, which is fine because although I'm a full-time student, almost all my classes are online.

I'm going to get a sleep study at 7 PM tonight, and I'm nearly having a panic attack thinking about it. I find it nearly impossible in beds that aren't mine, and without the things that normally help me sleep (my laptop, my music, etc), I don't think I'll be able to. I've never been able to "make" myself sleep just by laying down and closing my eyes, and although I've very clearly expressed my concerns to both the sleep doctor and my psychiatrist (who is prescribing the sleep study), they both seem unworried.

I'm nearly having a panic attack right now thinking about it, and I almost never have anxiety attacks. I don't know what to do. Help?

Ask your dr for a sleeping aid.. it won't effect the test and you will sleep

Ask your dr for a sleeping pill try to relax I had one two yrs ago and was told I have severe sleep apnea if u do they will set u up for Cpap macine I'm being told I must do it again I never could get adjusted to the Cpap and after 5 months I gave up I too sleep as u have described I think I slept maybe a half hour when I was there i also can't sleep anywhere else so I sympathise the drs don't want to operate on ppl who have their oxygen levels fall very low while asleep u won't find sympathy from anyone in bariatrics regarding this matter they will simply tell u to keep trying I was told that if I do not do it my surgery will be postponed indefinitely until I do so I guess I will be trying again the ppl at the sleep clinic were really nice tho best of luck I'm an ear if u need to vent!

Go and do it. You have no choice. I'm a severe insomniac and I did it. They hook you up to a bunch to electrodes and monitor you from another room. I was not hooked up until almost 12 am and barely slept. I was awaken at 617am. They are looking to see what happems, patterns, when you sleep. I was allowed to bring my sleeping pill. You want the surgery you have to do the sleep study. Best.

I was nervous went I went in too! Don't worry you will be thanking yourself later. I hate not sleeping at home and quite frankly I did not believe I had sleep apnea so I almost did I not go lol. My family said it would be good to just get it over with. I did have a hard time sleeping at the clinic but I glad I went. I have had my machine for a couple weeks now and I notice a HUGE difference in my alertness. I also wake up faster in the morning and I don't get up as often during the night. It's better to be safe and do the test because sleep apnea puts a lot of stress on your heart and your body in general which could cause you to have a heart attack or stroke. After all this stuff we are doing to get to surgery to have a better life, ...you might as well through this in too! Better safe than sorry.

They are super nice at the sleep clinic and they offer a sleeping pill if you need it! I would just ask for it right away

Even a normal-sleeping person would have trouble sleeping with all the wires they attach to you anyway! I didn't realize how loud I snored until I went back after the sleep study to talk to the doctor--I was so embarrassed. I'm looking forward to not having to use my CPAP machine after I lose weight, but it really helps for now.

I've been staying at my daughter's while she's out of town (my grandson is 15 so it's not really babysitting), and I didn't take my CPAP because I didn't want to unhook everything. I didn't realize how much difference it would make in how well I sleep.< /p>