Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lupus and the Sleeve

Hello everyone. I'm nearly done with all of my insurance criteria. I have one more nut appt on Oct 15th. When I met with the bariatric surgeon for my consult, he had told me how much he thinks the sleeve will help me. My primary care dr is very supportive. But, WL surgeon wants to get a "go ahead" from my Rheumatologist. Right from the get go, she has been unsupportive. She told me that I'm not big enough to get wls. So, a friend of mine who just had the sleeve done last week suggested that I research benefits of wls (specifically the sleeve) and lupus. I haven't found anything. I'm wondering if someone who has gone through wls that also has lupus could share something.... Pretty Please?

Edited by rossigrl84

Well how big are you? What is your BMI? Do you need her clearance to get the surgery?

I have several autoimmune diseases lupus being one of them..its not up to the rhumatologists to make that desicion for you if I was you I would make another app to see her ...I dont know how lupus is affecting you or the meds you take an so on an so on..but when I brought it up to my rhumey that I was going thru the process an I just asked her for her opinion shes kinda a large women herself, but she said she does have a pt who had it done an losing the weight was good . thats all she commented on. thank goodness I didnt need release from all my drs, my biggest one to release was psych an my endocrinologists. I was insulin resistance an prediabetic an hashimoto, she told me this is the reasons why she referred me to have it done bc my weight would do nothing but go up!! losing weight might help your joints..however I have been in major flair since I had this done. my lower back has locked up on twice now. just prepare yourself. it could happen. I belong on a lupus support group an thres a few of us that has had it done. if you dont mind me asking why is your rhumey not being supportive? hope all goes well. :) keep us posted.

I know these ex are a few yrs old but still works..http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/lupus/3292248/Lupus-gastric-bypass/ just remember the NSAIDS will be out you'll have to do something else for pain. Im supposed to be on pred my surgeon told me its ok but at least give your tummy a month out to heal...well its been 3 months an Im still afraid to take it. I did break down a few wks ago an took a medrol pack, Iv been the TIN MAN since surgery. it hit me like a wk later. Iv taken some x strength tylenol here an there but didnt do much. I do take plaquinil, I didnt take it for several wks after surgery boy was I hurting. but read up on these I just googled it ...best wishes

@@finediva

I wouldn't even be attempting to do this if my BMI wasn't over 40. I don't need her approval for insurance requirements. My weight loss surgeon wants the rheumatologist on board.

@@kimpossible67 My weight loss surgeon is very encouraging. My primary care dr is very encouraging, as well.

@blondebomb Thank you for sharing. Right now, I take plaquenil, prednisone, eliquis, and cellcept for my autoimmune diseases. I don't ever take nsaids. I can't tolerate them, now. WL surgeon did an upper GI aleady. So that's taken care of. When I first saw the rheumy back in May, I asked her about it. She shut me down quickly saying that "you're only Xlbs. You're not big enough to need surgery for this." So, then I had my appt with the WLS in June. He was super supportive. But, that he wants the rheumy on board and wants to work with rheumy on my surgery plan. Meaning med management leading up to and immediately following the surgery. So I spoke to the rheumy again later in June or Maybe early July. She said that she thinks I shouldn't do it right now because of my current-flare. I told her that my surgery wouldn't be till the end of the year anyway because of the insurance requirements. She said "ok, then. In a couple months we can discuss it again." I've seen her a couple of times since then. I saw her nearly 2 weeks ago and asked her about sinus surgery. ENT wants to fix my nose. She said to give this new med a chance to get in my system (the cellcept; she took me off Imuran that day). I said "Ok, so how long should I wait?" her reply was "about 4 weeks". My follow up with the ENT is on Oct 21st, so no big deal. I didn't bring up the WLS to her that appt. I go back to see her in 4 more weeks. Meanwhile, my last nut appt is in 15 days. So, then the surgeon's office can get it into Cigna for insurance approval. I go in to see my primary care dr in two days. I wanted to talk to him about phentermine. I've taken it in the past with great success. And I am struggling so much with these steroids. I'm going into this with my eyes wide open. I don't expect it to help my AI issues. But, if it's one thing I can control about my body, I want to do it. I don't want to add gasoline to the fire so to speak by being morbidly obese. I have a special needs son and I want to be around as long as possible for him.