Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Camping -- what to eat??

I'm going to be camping with some friends the weekend of May 18-20. It'll be tent camping, so no electricity. It'll also be about 4 1/2 weeks post-op for me, so I won't be eating regular food yet.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can eat?? I will be doing a fair amount of hiking so I need to keep my energy level up, as well as avoid dehydration.

I have a small grill to cook on, but that may not work. I also have a nifty backpacking stove called a jetboil that might work better (could make up some Pasta dishes or potatoes -- anything boiled) but I'm not going to be getting a lot of Protein in that way.

I will have a small cooler with ice, but the ice doesn't last the entire weekend, so I can't bring along super perishable stuff.

Any ideas?? Please??

Bec

Not sure what you're allowed to eat then.. I assume mushies.. If it's mushies, Bring those tuna salad packs. They come with a foil pouch of tuna, the relish and mayo (and crackers). You don't have to refrigerate them, they come off the shelf in the stores. Also don't have to heat it. Or, maybe a can of Soup, take the wrapper off and put the soup on a grill.. might not be the best thing in the world, but its food. Lots of Water of course! I think the tuna salad packs is the best option really. Can't think of anything more convenient off the top of my head.

Check for threads on travel foods or similar, I know these issues have come up several times.

I have no clue how long you've banded, and that may change a lot of my answers. But you should pretty much be able to eat the same things as anyone else.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can eat?? I will be doing a fair amount of hiking so I need to keep my energy level up, as well as avoid dehydration.
For avoiding dehydration, just bring plenty of Water. You don't want to rely on the foods you'll eat to keep you hydrated!

Here are some suggs that should fit within your limitations:

Boiled - boil an egg or two. You can eat it as-is or make egg salad (if you use condiment packs they don't have to be refridgerated). Boil some fat free hotdogs (or regular, I just pref. fat free). If you can boil, you can steam, right? Will you be fishing on your trip? Bring some oatmeal or other "add hot water" type dishes. Target Archer Farms has some really good selections, especially of the Asian dishes. Bring some veggies and make veggie Soup. Bring some canned Soups and use your pot to warm the soup vs. boil the Water.

Non-refrigerated: Jerky, trail mix, pretzels/chips. Buy the pouches of tuna and use your condiment mayo from above to make tuna salad. If you pre-pack a little vinegar in a disposable cup, and bring along a can of northern/white Beans to add in, this makes a great dish and has lots of Protein. Any kind of nut, particularly raw almonds. Protein Bars, Cereal bars. One of my fav. travel foods - microwave ssome turkey pepperoni ahead of time. You nuke it until it's crunchy. They will store in a baggy just like chips. They're great alone, and awesome with cottage cheese or garden veggie cream cheese.< /p>

Some refrigerated ideas: Make some "hobo" packs before you leave, maybe to have the first night while you will still have ice. Just throw some chicken (we usually use quarters), veggies (small red potatoes, onions, carrots, whatever), and butter on to some foil. Wrap several times to make sure it won't leak. Then just throw them on top of the fire or portable grill when you get there.

If you can refrigerate through the morning, just throw a bunch of eggs, sausage or bacon, cheese, etc. into a skillet and there's Breakfast.

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm at the mushie/trying semi-solid foods at this point, so I think by next weekend I'll be officially semi-solid.

I tried tuna and it didn't go well at all, so I'm afraid of it now, but perhaps tuna salad would go better. Hard boiled eggs are a great idea, as is Soup (I can heat it up in the jetboil).

I'm just very worried about this -- agreed to go and now I don't know what to do!!!

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm at the mushie/trying semi-solid foods at this point, so I think by next weekend I'll be officially semi-solid.
This would have been helpful to know. ;)

Refried beans!!! They're still one of my staples. The Rosarita "Chili and lime" (or smtg like that) are delicious. You can eat them right out of the can if need be... but of course they're better heated up. Bring some hot sauce from Taco Bell or smtg if you want to spice it up, or a can of cheese sauce/soup to thin them down.

If you want to try tuna salad again, try before the trip so if it doesn't work, you're at least someplace comfortable. Just make it REALLY wet, take VERY small bites, and chew chwe. It should (did for my, anyway) count as a semi-solid. Tip: the LIGHT (not WHITE) is a moister meat, and has higher Protein... and just so happens to be cheaper. :P

Bring some tofu. I don't think the cryo packs have to be refrigerated. Cook them in a skillet with some seasonings. Be sure not to get "silken" tofu though. Soft, easy to eat, and good numbers. I have tofu 2 - 3 x per week.

If you can get Blue Bunny where you live, they make a low carb yogurt smoothie that's VERY good, and would be great for Breakfast. Or find some kind of instant breakfast that can be mixed with Water, and bring a shaker cup.

Bring some cans of Protein Drink. They aren't the best, but will keep you going. THey won't be good warm though - will there be Water nearby? If so just float them (tied to a rope or in a fishing net) in the water to chill.

Hmm... Hormel beanless chili. I would think the meat in it would be ground up well enough to constitute semi solid but you might want to check with your surgeon to be sure.

Sorry for all the typos above but I'm not going to bother editing. ;)

In a pinch you can always bring some baby food. It's the right portion for post-op, doesn't need to be refrigerated, and it creates very little trash OR you could reuse the bottles for something else on your trip.