Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 20, 2014 Surgical Date

My sleep is off as well. I feel tired but toss and turn. Weird

Yep. I start in the bed but end up back in my chair & eventually falling asleep there.

Okay everyone; how are you doing? I slept most of today, but don't think I saw that anyone checked in. We are at 1wk post-op tomorrow. Happy Anniversary to us! I have my phone call with the RN tomorrow morning to check in. I think I've got nothing but good news for her. Got a couple of walks in with my pups = 1.2mi. Nice 75 degrees in Northern California. Ummmm......that is all. Good Night.....God Bless.

Lag, I am doing really well so far. Today is 7 Post-Opp down 10# for the first week plus the surgical Fluid loss. I see my Doc on day 10 I am only getting 40 gram Protein in and 32 Oz of liquid so need to try to step it up but I just seem full all of the time. I am getting my walks in no problems.

Great dtiller! I get a jump on my Protein with my Protein Drink Meal Replacement. I use Body Fortress Super Advanced whey Protein (powder) and mix it with 8 oz of almond or soy milk. Because we really need our protein right now my Dietician recommended two scoops of the powder which equals 60 g of protein. 8oz of nonfat milk adds an additional 10 grams of protein. So whether I have my Protein Shake at Breakfast, lunch or dinner - that meal equals approximately 70 g of protein by itself. On day three of my full liquid meal plan I decided to give up on milk, as the "after symptoms" were too severe. I guess I have become lactose intolerant with the surgery. As such, I'm toggling between soy milk and almond milk. Soy milk offers almost the same amount of protein but almond milk only offers about 2 g of protein per eight oz serving. I said all that to say that you can get a real jump on your protein intake by using a different protein drink. For my other two meals of the day I always include Greek yogurt or cottage cheese - both of which are high in protein. This routine keeps me between 70 and 80 g of protein each day. Today = 10lbs loss for me post-op. Keep up the good work!

Great dtiller! I get a jump on my Protein with my Protein drink meal replacement. I use Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein (powder) and mix it with 8 oz of almond or soy milk. Because we really need our protein right now my Dietician recommended two scoops of the powder which equals 60 g of protein. 8oz of nonfat milk adds an additional 10 grams of protein. So whether I have my protein shake at breakfast, lunch or dinner - that meal equals approximately 70 g of protein by itself. On day three of my full liquid meal plan I decided to give up on milk, as the "after symptoms" were too severe. I guess I have become lactose intolerant with the surgery. As such, I'm toggling between soy milk and almond milk. Soy milk offers almost the same amount of protein but almond milk only offers about 2 g of protein per eight oz serving. I said all that to say that you can get a real jump on your protein intake by using a different protein drink. For my other two meals of the day I always include Greek yogurt or cottage cheese - both of which are high in protein. This routine keeps me between 70 and 80 g of protein each day. Today = 10lbs loss for me post-op. Keep up the good work!

Hi Lag:

Well they have me on a slower progression for diet, I still have another week of full liquids. Also, My NUT stated that they did not want us to consume more than 30 grams of protein in one sitting she stated that was all the body could really absorb at one time. The Protein drinks just keep me so full I can hardly drink my other liquids. I guess I need for my tummy to heal up a little more. My goal is 80 grams of protein a day too, i will get there eventually. Thanks for the Info and I am glad you are progressing so well.

dtill..

Thank YOU for the Protein info. I wasn't aware of that (maximum absorption at one time) and will ask my dietitian for her opinion. Gotta love learning/comparing notes. I think I just posted on a/the general October Sleever's area. Are you connected there also? I'm still trying to figure out how to navigate all the different areas, so I'm not sure where it is exactly....lol.....or what it's really called. Maybe you'll see my post if you're following there also. I'm also on full liquids for another week or two. I don't think I'm progressing faster - I just think "full liquids" include puddings, custards, applesauce, etc.

Later..

dtill..

Thank YOU for the Protein info. I wasn't aware of that (maximum absorption at one time) and will ask my dietitian for her opinion. Gotta love learning/comparing notes. I think I just posted on a/the general October Sleever's area. Are you connected there also? I'm still trying to figure out how to navigate all the different areas, so I'm not sure where it is exactly....lol.....or what it's really called. Maybe you'll see my post if you're following there also. I'm also on full liquids for another week or two. I don't think I'm progressing faster - I just think "full liquids" include puddings, custards, applesauce, etc.

Later..

I think you understand fine, This Thread (October 20th) I set up is a subset of the bigger October 2014 Thread. Yes I subscribe to both. Let me know what you find out..

dtiller

I emailed my Nutritionist this morning and also found this info online. I will compare what she says to this article. Just fyi in case you're interested.

The optimum amount of Protein per meal for muscle building -- about 30 grams, according to one study -- is sometimes quoted as the maximum amount you can absorb, but the two are not related. Rapidly absorbed Protein boosts muscle protein synthesis after exercise, but one way or another, your body typically absorbs most of the protein you eat.

Dietary Protein Absorption

Before your body can absorb Proteins, digestive enzymes in your stomach and small intestine break them apart into amino acids. As amino acids come into contact with the lining of your small intestine, transporters carry them through the intestinal lining, where two things can happen: They can gain access to your bloodstream or they can be used by tissues in your gut. Whichever path they take, Proteins are now successfully absorbed. More than 90 percent of all the protein you consume is absorbed, reports the European food Information Council.

Absorption Rate

Amino acids are absorbed at the rate of 1.3 grams to 10 grams an hour, according to a report in the “International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism” in April 2006. A large percentage is absorbed because partially digested food is in the small intestine for hours. In addition to your overall health, several factors influence the absorption rate. Protein drinks are absorbed more rapidly than protein consumed with fiber-containing foods because Fiber slows down nutrient absorption. Protein hydrolysates, which are proteins broken into smaller pieces of amino acids, are absorbed more quickly than whole proteins. Whey protein is absorbed at a fast pace, while casein is digested at a moderate rate.

Hey 10/20 Sleevers, l was excited going in but when I woke up all hell broke loose. I don't see how ppl post from there room I was out of it and in pain. I was in the hospital for four days due to my bp. Ironically the day after I was released I saw my pcp and my pressure was fine. Well I return to work tomorrow "wish me energy"!

Edited by mimi121880

I had my surgery 10/3/14. I previously had lap band surgery in 2011. I had my lap band removed 6/2014.

I'm on solids as of Friday. Unfortunately, still eating too fast......

Heather

17 days post op & 17lbs down. Had my 2wk post op appt today....got my staples out and got advanced to phase 3 meal plan......YaY sorta solid foods....fish, ground meats....well done veggies never sounded so good. Finally got enough energy to kick my exercise up a notch. Sitting in my Bariatric Support Group now. Working the program & living the life. Feeling pretty great today.

17 days post op & 17lbs down. Had my 2wk post op appt today....got my staples out and got advanced to phase 3 meal plan......YaY sorta solid foods....fish, ground meats....well done veggies never sounded so good. Finally got enough energy to kick my exercise up a notch. Sitting in my Bariatric Support Group now. Working the program & living the life. Feeling pretty great today.

Great Positive Update!!

So I've had my 3 week post op and I'm down 24 pounds(5 pre-op) yeah! I thought I would be able to eat vegetables and chicken but NO :'( for the next 4 weeks I'll eat eggs, fish tofu,cheese, seafood and my Protein Shakes. Omg what the heck kind of menu is this?

Edited by mimi121880

@@mimi121880 - sounds great. Congrats to you. Keep up the great work.

@@dtiller1147 - how ya doin buddy?

@@LosingInAlaska - haven't heard from you buddy. Hope all is well.....check in when you can..