Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

health care lying to me

OK so this is what health care told me today and I'm piss off this is what they told me " we do cover stomach stapling but no one in Canada does it anymore " I'm mad I'm still trying to fight for the lap band but why are they lying so if anyone has names and phone number i will prove health care wrong.

Andree

Ok, I believe they're talking about the VBG, and I don't think there IS anyone in Canada doing them anymore. (but really if anyone knows otherwise, do tell!)

But that doesn't really matter, I'm sure your provincial health care (like everyone else in Canada) covers other bariatric surgery, such as the RNY or DS (which I think the only guy in Canada doing them, in Saskatoon, is no longer doing them). Even if there was anyone doing the VBG in Canada, the waiting list would be YEARS just like it is for the RNY. Fact is they don't cover the Lapband, that they cover one and not the other is the point you want to argue!

OK so this is what health care told me today and I'm piss off this is what they told me " we do cover stomach stapling but no one in Canada does it anymore " I'm mad I'm still trying to fight for the lap band but why are they lying so if anyone has names and phone number i will prove health care wrong.

Andree

Don't drag it into a "well you dont know what you are talking about arguement", that will get you nowhere and they will just write you off as some sort of trouble maker, where they will ignore you calls and letters.

What I would do is talk to the person who you are dealing with and say to them that they are covering the stomach stapleing/VGB which no one is doing and is not that effective. Would it not make more sense to cover the lapband. Tell them they need to upgrade thier criteria to include surgeries that are still being performed.

Remember you cacth more flies with honey than with vinegar, especially when you are dealing with government beurecrats.

Andrew

I think those 2 things would be the RNY and DS surgeries... the VBG is referred to as stomach stapling, I believe.

Does anyone have names and phone number of a doctor who does that surgery health care told me i wont find anyone in Canada that does it so they told me if i find someone they will call lol I'm going to call. I'm really worry I'm going to go and self pay and then next year they going to start to cover the lap band that would make me so mad.

Andree

I'm still trying to make a point with health care. And even if they could help 50% or anything i would be happy, we really want to move in 3 years and i really like to be able to use that money to move. And why would health care tell you they cover something that you cant even get really? Oh well i could bitch all day about Yukon health care but at least I'm trying until Oct when i should have all the money to get my band.

well found one doctor today in Montreal who does the bypass :) now I'm trying to find one in Alberta and BC can anyone else.

this is a copy of the doctor email from montreal

i do the LAPAROSCOPIC GASTRIC BYPASS (the "gold standard" weight loss surgery) at a cost of $18,000 (all inclusive) with no wait. If you are from the Yukon, the band is not lap band is not the best proceedure because of the need for adjustments and potential complications (see web site) that might make treatment difficult unless you are close to a health center. The gastric bypass does not have these problems