Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

standing on a steep mountain teetering both ways now

:straight Ok. I went for my psych eval today...passed with flying colors. He told me before I left there is no reason that I would not be a good candidate for this surgery so that part is finished.

Have my sleep study Thursday night

Doctor is scheduling my endoscopy and echo cardiogram. Those were the only tests they told me I would have to do BUT.........

I guess I just need some reassurance after meeting with the psych today. He talked alot about giving up favorite foods and how big of a change this is and 'are you sure you are ready to accept that change'. Ok I have reearched this forever, read 3 books, 2 more on the way, read and read and read on here and a few other lapband discussion boards and yes I do feel that I am ready. I KNOW that it is a HUGE commitment and life style change. One thing that he said to me bothered me though. We were talking about my support and etc and I told him that I have alot of support and feel that I will do well because of that. I told him of a friend of mine whom I used to go out for salads with once a week and that she knows that I am doing this surgery and her comment was 'well I guess we add another day to our YMCA schedule. (we bought YMCA memberships together and go together.) OK this is what bothered me, he said 'yeah because you will not be able to go out and eat.' Ok I know that I will not be able to go out and eat alot but I can still go out to eat (right?!) I mean I have never really been one for the fast food thing or sweets but every now and then I would like to go out and have a meal with my family and friends. I know my portions have to change. When I went to the nutritionist and took her my menu logs of what I have been eating everyday she told me that I am eating exactly what I need to be eating it is just my Portion Control. I guess the biggest question that I have is am I not going to be able to set and do the family meals with my family anymore and make it enjoyable for myself and them. I know that probably doesn't make much sense. I don't know. I am just caught on a mountain top right now and not sure which way I should be falling. I want like to change of course because other wise I would not be considering this but yet at the same time I do not want to be an 'unsocialized' feak because I am not able to go out and have a meal with friends or family anymore.

I just need some words of encouragment. I KNOW lap band is the right thing and I really do want to do this. I just need some to hear some of your stories as to what you do in these situations.

Thanks everyone

You can still go out to eat, and you can still enjoy family functions, even if they center around food. You'll just eat less. There will probably be some things that give you trouble that you'll need to give up, but to say you have to give up all of your favorite foods is a stretch. I think that some of the medical providers involved in the process of us getting banded either don't know 100% what is actually going on, or they take it to the way far extreme...

Going out to eat is great! Just ask for a To Go box and you'll get to enjoy it 2 or 3 more times.:hungry:

I have not been to a restaurant yet that I couldn't find SOMETHING on the menu I could have. And we travel a lot, so of course we eat out when we're on the road. I even take a cooler along with me so I can keep the leftovers and make another meal or 3 out of it. You'll do great. Even at family functions, you should be able to find something that's band-friendly.

Good luck with your decision!

I also wanted to add that about a month after I was banded, we spent a week in Vegas, and I weighed 7 lbs less when I got home than I did when we left! :)

Thank you all so much for your encourage meant and support. That is what I thought but then I just wanted to double check. I am a very thorough person and even though I know I will not know EVERYTHING before surgery I want as much knowledge as possible so I am thinking of all senarios and what could/would happen.

I LOVE THIS SITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have not been to a restaurant yet that I couldn't find SOMETHING on the menu I could have. And we travel a lot, so of course we eat out when we're on the road. I even take a cooler along with me so I can keep the leftovers and make another meal or 3 out of it. You'll do great. Even at family functions, you should be able to find something that's band-friendly.

Good luck with your decision!

I also wanted to add that about a month after I was banded, we spent a week in Vegas, and I weighed 7 lbs less when I got home than I did when we left! :)

Congrats to you on lossing in Vegas. MAJOR ACCOMPLISHMENT!!! We got married in Vegas 1 year ago and the buffetts...THEY WERE WONDERFUL!!!! Don't think I will be ready for Vegas for a while after my band but maybe next year for our 2nd anniversary on May 2?!?!

First, you should know that every bandster had the same thoughts when deciding on surgery. So that part is quite normal. In addition to what Marimaru said, I'd like to add that many if not most bandsters find that they actually start to prefer different types of food. It's not just a matter of sitting around craving all the things you like to eat but being unable to do so. There is some of that, but not nearly as much as you would imagine. I used to eat a lot of carbs. pizza, Pasta, subway sandwiches, Cookies cakes and pies, etc. And I still like those things and eat a little, but I miss them far less than I would have thought. So, I think that is part of the "secret" here that I think most bandsters experience. You just stop wanting some of the things you used to like. And to the extent you still do want them, you really do want less. It's not a matter of will power. You really want less.

And finally, as for your description of deciding which side of the mountain to fall to, remember that the side without the band probably carries with it some major health problems and shortened life span. So it's not just a matter of picking between two equals. From reading your post I know that you already know that, but keeping it in mind should make the decision easier.

What your feeling is normal, I felt the same way before my surgery. Since surgery, I still go out to eat and socialize, I just don't eat as much and I have to eat slower, but thats okay. I wouldn't trade my band for anything!

Thank you all for your words of encouragement. I again just needed a little reassurrance that I am not going to be a major outcast due to being banded. Thanks so much. I can not tell you all enough how much this site and all of you are helping myself and so many others. THanks again.