Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know this is silly... but I gotta rant

When I went to college way back in the dark ages, I had a priest as my Engineering 101 teacher. After our first test, a fellow student complained about his grade....it seemed the Teacher had taken off for spelling and lowered many students grades.

"I am going to be an engineer, what does it matter if I misspell a word or two? As long as the numbers work, that's all that matters"

Father John Staudenmeyer was his name. He stopped, looked up at all of us, and said something I won't ever forget.

"I'll be damned if someone leaves this college thinking that we graduated someone that can't spell or write a complete sentence."

Being an engineer, when I read my colleagues letters, reports and emails, I wish they all had Father Staudenmeyer as their teacher. Boy! Engineers don't seem to even know how to use spellcheck.

When I went to college way back in the dark ages, I had a priest as my Engineering 101 teacher. After our first test, a fellow student complained about his grade....it seemed the Teacher had taken off for spelling and lowered many students grades.

"I am going to be an engineer, what does it matter if I misspell a word or two? As long as the numbers work, that's all that matters"

Father John Staudenmeyer was his name. He stopped, looked up at all of us, and said something I won't ever forget.

"I'll be damned if someone leaves this college thinking that we graduated someone that can't spell or write a complete sentence."

Being an engineer, when I read my colleagues letters, reports and emails, I wish they all had Father Staudenmeyer as their teacher. Boy! Engineers don't seem to even know how to use spellcheck.

I considered myself a closet liberal-arts major at an engineering school. I understand completely. I had a boyfriend who was honors Mechanical Engineering and seriously didn't know the difference between fiction and non-fiction.

It's sad that some are not as educated as others but what happened? Teachers gave up? Really, not on here I see so many grammar flaws on the news and at work, it's shocking somehow these people actually graduated.....from HS?

It's sad that some are not as educated as others but what happened? Teachers gave up? Really, not on here I see so many grammar flaws on the news and at work, it's shocking somehow these people actually graduated.....from HS?

My daughter just graduated high school last June. In my opinion, too many teachers teach class so the kids pass whatever testing the state has put out to judge how well the teachers are doing.......and forgetting that the primary reason kids go to schol is to learn how to be fully functional members of society.

I don't think the teachers gave up, so much as it is survival for them.

We need kids to know how to write and read. They also need to function without spellcheck, a calculator or Google. I amaze my daughter and her friends sometimes with my mastery of math (I can figure out the proper 15% without a calculator), my dictonary like ability to spell any word they throw at me (I read a lot and was a spelling bee champ in high school) and my knowledge of history or politics (I can tell them that Saddam Hussein was once a strong allie of the US before he invaded Kuwait). I learned all those things in school. I'm not so sure my daughter and her friends learned all that.

However, my daughter was regualrly told how horrible our current governor is (I live in NJ, Google it to find out who I am speaking of and why teachers might not like him) She has the ability to pass any college entry exam and get into the best schools......but I am not so sure she knows what the USSR was.

OK, I am done with my rant now. Sorry to hijack this thread, it just troubles me how uneducated our society has become, and what it means for our futre.