Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

uncomfortable and red

I've been banded for 9 days. Yesterday I woke-up and around my incisions is all red and swollen, it looks like celulitus. So I went to the ER and the Doc there didn't even know what the lapband was he said I guess you have and infection, gave me meds and sent me on my way. Has anyone had this problem? or knows what it is?

I think I would be calling my surgeon, so you could get direct advice from them. I know infection can travel through the port, down the tubing and to the band itself, or visa versa. There may be meds that work on the infection that you have better than others. Certain infections respond better to particular medications. I would imagine the band surgeon would be more familiar with what you may be dealing with, and if nothing else, could be in contact with a more local Dr. and coordinate your care. This is not something I would fool around with, with a Dr. not even familiar with a lap band---that seems scary to me!

What type of antibiotics did he put you on?

I hope you get some help, and advice here---the situation you are in is worrisome!

Welcome to LBT----hope you get some direction here!

Kat

The Doc gave me Keflex. Im calling my surgeon in the morning. It doesnt hurt, it's warm to the touch and there's no drainage.

thanks for the concern.

punky - I hope you feel better... Please let us know what your surgeon said. I can't believe the doctor didn't know what the lap band was! That is so frustrating! Good Luck :(

I didn't want to assume I would get no infection from my sites so I use Hibiclens Antiseptic skin cleanser and keep my wounds covered with the square and clear bandages.

thanks everybody for your suggestions. The redness has gone down some and isn't so hot feeling. I go see the surgeon on thursday he told me just to keep taking meds and long as it's not oozing and getting worse then he'll see me thursday. I'm really getting tired of eating pudding and Soup. I wanna eat!!!! I have 6 days till I get to eat pureed food. Anyone got better reciepes besides pudding???

I can recommend brands of things that taste good. Cozy Shack chocolate pudding tastes as rich as a brownie. No Fat.

Carryout Soups seem better than canned. I love french onion Soup minus the cheese and bread.< /p>

Mango juice is really good chilled and mixed with Krystle Lite peach tea.

Focus on staying hydrated right now. Good luck.

lapdancer - how did the hibiclens work for you? How do your scars look now? Is that something that your Dr. recommended. I want to minimize scarring and infection and this is the first I've heard of antiseptic. It makes sense to me.

wenjea!

After I had my c-section, I did a little experiment on myself. My doctor removed my staples before I was ready for them to be removed. I know you get a frankenstein scar from staples left in too long, but if they're taken out early, bad keloids can form, and I've gotten those before. In fact I have one on my nose from a bad pimple wound (lol)

Anyway, after the staples were taken out, I religiously maintained closely spaced steri-stripped one side of the incision, and on the other side I did what the doctor said-- leave them alone until they fall off then keep the area clean. Well, there is a keloid line on my right side where I followed the instructions, and a nearly invisible line on the other side where I steri-stripped with devotion.

After the outside heals, the lower layers of skin are still split. The strength of the outer skin that healed is weak, and needs the extra support from the steristrips to stay closed and assist the lower layers of skin while healing.

My mom is a wound nurse, if you have anymore questions, I'll ask my mom. I'm having the same surgery with the same doctor so I'll probably want to ask an questions you want to ask. Pass them on!

Evilah