Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Threw up for the first time

Last night around 730 I was taking all my meds and drank too much liquid and ended up throwing up. I have a hard time telling the difference between hunger and nausea so I just kept drinking Water. Now I'm scared to again because it hurt so much. :(

Well, you can't not drink, so just ease back into it. Small sips. Don't try to drink too fast.

You might have just had a freak experience that may never repeat itself. One day I had 3 oz of chicken and it made me feel nauseated. I gagged a couple of times even. I don't know why. Never happened before or since. Maybe it just struck a nerve oddly. But I still eat chicken. Don't give into fear of a one time occurrence. If this happens again it might be warranted, but for now, don't assume it was the start of something bad. Maybe one of your pills hit a nerve on the way down.

taking meds - drank too much liquid - throwing up

@@Mad__crow

you are "probably" a week out or so PO???

some people do have problems taking their meds :wacko:

don't know if you take other meds beside the bariatric ones :blink:

i do have other meds - and i still only take 2 at a time with Water

like OP said - don't overdue the Water, don't gulp the water

no gulping for awhile - when your doc/NUT says its OK

since you are so early PO - maybe you can squish meds up putting them in applesauce???

or, repeating - take them slowly with small amounts of water

you do need to drink as much water as you can ALWAYS

but for now sip a few ounces very slowly

stop, and maybe repeat awhile later

good luck newbie :)

kathy

@@Forsythia

I see your post "up above" ;) and see you have lost 99 lbs, so close to the century club

i'm holding the door open for you - come in soon ;)

keep up the good job :)

kathy

I typically throw up as the result of overfilling my stomach, not chewing thoroughly enough, or eating too quickly. It has settled down in the past few weeks, but still happens occasionally. Of course, in your case it's valuable and important meds you're losing -- that's a bigger deal. Might you have taken them too soon after eating? I find that once my tiny new stomach is full, one extra bite will sit there on my "regurgitation button" while it decides if it's going up or down. Frequently, I hiccup while it decides. And more often than not, it decides to come up. I find that when I'm "stuck" I have to quickly excuse myself from the table to go to the bathroom, where one quick finger in the throat brings up the offending bite. Then I feel better, and sometimes, I can even finish my meal. The good news is that it's not stinky or gross-tasting, just kind of slimy. "No gastric juices were used in the creation of this puke." So as with so many of these post-surgery troubles, it's all pretty normal. And if you're only a week or two out, your insides are still very swollen, making it even harder to get stuff down the pipe. Again, it gets better - honest!

@@Forsythia

I see your post "up above" ;) and see you have lost 99 lbs, so close to the century club

i'm holding the door open for you - come in soon ;)

keep up the good job :)

kathy

I keep losing inches, but that one pound is mocking me. Lol. I'm cool with losing inches. I lift a lot of weights. It will come off eventually.