Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for a Support Buddy

I just started the WLS process this month. Met with the surgeon, had the endo scope done, met with the nutritionist and will schedule my psych eval this month. Per my insurance, I will need to be monitored for 6 months prior to surgery. The Nutritionist visit was very educational and I look forward to next month's visit. Nutritionist explained that exercise is a part of every day living - needs to be incorporated into your daily routine - just like sleeping, waking up, showering, brushing teeth and exercise. She didn't tell me how long I need to exercise, but to incorporate it into my daily routine. So far, so good. I'd like to have a support buddy (or buddies) to assist me through this journey. I'm guessing surgery will be in Feb or so.

I am also new to this journey. I have discussed it with my pcp. She has ordered all the lab work and is sending the referral for the sleep study. I have my consultation with the surgeons office to get the ball rolling and find out my requirements, on the 9th. Very excited to get on with the next steps. My starting weight is a very miserable 371 pounds, and overall am pretty healthy although I did just have to start on a low dose of bp meds. I have very bad knees and ankles. Will be glad to lose the weight to ease the pain and pressure on them. Good luck with your journey ahead!

My PCP doubled dosage on BP MEDS last week. I'm currently 231 and am looking forward to living a healthier lifestyle

Edited by AZCorey

I'm new too. I just completed my sleep study last night. Awaiting to hear from my surgeon office to start scheduling appts with psych , Nut, and surgeon. I haven't had my Endo yet, but I know that's next on the check list!

Had my consultation today. I have to lose 25 lbs to get my bmi down. But I knew that was going to happen. Had labs drawn today that my pcp didn't have. Overall a good appointment I think just need to have a psych eval and 6 months medical supervised diet. I am ready to get this started. Go back in 5 weeks to see what the scales say. I can do this one day at a time.

Had my consultation today. I have to lose 25 lbs to get my bmi down. But I knew that was going to happen. Had labs drawn today that my pcp didn't have. Overall a good appointment I think just need to have a psych eval and 6 months medical supervised diet. I am ready to get this started. Go back in 5 weeks to see what the scales say. I can do this one day at a time.

You've got this Em!!!! If I can be of any support to you, feel free to reach out :-)

After getting home the other day and thinking over the consultation and being happy that the ball is rolling finally, it dawned on me that there was no mention of the start of the nutritional classes that I have to do for the six months. I was scheduled to go back in five weeks to check my weight and that is all. So I called to confirm if maybe I had to lose that 25 lbs first before actually being accepted into the program.

Thank goodness I called because it was an oversight and would have driven 2 hours to just weigh in and it not count for my 1st/6 month. That would have been a bummer. So class and weigh in is now scheduled together. Classes will be the first Monday of the month starting October 6th. Also went ahead and got my psych eval scheduled to get it out of the way. It is scheduled for October 8th. Don't want any small things to get in the way in the end to hold up my surgery!!

I am new too. I have had my consultation and I go to the nutritionist on 9/23. I am going to have my psychological on 10/1 and my EKG on 10/31. I am taking Vitamin D because my doctor said that my levels were low. I have to take that for three months. I am not sure when I will have the surgery but I imagine it will probably be the latter part of the year or the beginning of next year.

I weighed Thursday and I weighed 385. I am fearful that the more that I wait I will continue to gain. Does anyone else feel that way ? The highest that I have been is 465. I definitely do not want to see those numbers again.

????Hey im here for you..my Surgery Is 9/24

Hi, I too am just getting started. I am at 374 and only 5'3". I had my first visit with PCP and she is getting all the pre-test stuff started. I have to have a cardiac stress test, oximetry study and lab. My insurance does not require psych eval. Do the surgeons usually require them? I have first group meeting Oct 7. Then they schedule first meeting with Dr. My BMI is like 63, what do they require the BMI to be before they do the sleeve? How long do you have to quit smoking before surgery, anyone know? Should I start on a Protein diet now or what. So many questions.

Hi, I too am just getting started. I am at 374 and only 5'3". I had my first visit with PCP and she is getting all the pre-test stuff started. I have to have a cardiac stress test, oximetry study and lab. My insurance does not require psych eval. Do the surgeons usually require them? I have first group meeting Oct 7. Then they schedule first meeting with Dr. My BMI is like 63, what do they require the BMI to be before they do the sleeve? How long do you have to quit smoking before surgery, anyone know? Should I start on a Protein diet now or what. So many questions.

You and I are very close in numbers, and the same height. I start my first of six nutrition class on October 6. I have to lose 25lbs. And be at least under or at a bmi of 60. My insurance requires me to have a psych eval and 6 months supervised diet. My psych evaluation is 10/10. My dr advised to start a low carb high Protein diet now. Not sure how long they require for you to be smoke free as I am a non-smoker.

Hello All,

I'm just getting started also. Had one appointment with the surgeon in September, and I thought I had to do the 6 month supervised diet for insurance reasons. Got a call last week that my insurance requirements change,now I think all I need is the Psych Evaluation for insurance. I'm still trying to get that scheduled. I'm a little shocked that its happening so fast, but I'm excited!

Unless they tell me I'm crazy in my evaluation! Then I'm S-O-L!! :rolleyes: