Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Banded After Cancer?

Hi everyone! I have been toying with the idea of a band for a few years now. I had started the process again in early March of this year then got diagnosed with Stage 1 Breast Cancer. I've gone through surgery, radiation and now I'm on a hormone blocking pill for the next 10 years. My cancer was 100% estrogen positive and we all know that fat stores estrogen. Right now weightloss is my top priority. My MO, PCP and Bariatric Surgeon all agree.

I just wondered if anyone else has been in a situation similar to mine? I expect to be banded early October regardless of whether insurance covers it or not. A generous friend has offered to cover the cost for me. Weightloss can help prevent reoccurance and even with knowing this I still can't control my food on my own!

I am not banded yet but have a similar background. Treated for ER+ breast cancer 5 years ago. Been on tamoxifen ever since. Have gained over 80 lbs since treatment. Been thinking of surgery for a few years but thought it was out of reach without insurance. Finally decided to self-pay and am on track to schedule surgery in a few weeks.

I am really hoping my surgery will be in the next few weeks too! I'm gaining it seems like by the day!!! Good luck to you, I can't wait till the day I can say I'm 5 years out!

I am really hoping my surgery will be in the next few weeks too! I'm gaining it seems like by the day!!! Good luck to you, I can't wait till the day I can say I'm 5 years out!

"Weightloss can help prevent reoccurance and even with knowing this I still can't control my food on my own!"

Yep. Obesity is a disease. If knowing equated to fixing, none of us would be on these boards.

Good for you getting the surgery you need to live a long and healthy life. You deserve it and we are all here for support. Good luck!

I just got banded on August 27, 2014. I had Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia, but I'm in complete remission.

I have my EGD on Friday! Hoping for this surgery soon! I've got a grandbaby coming at the end of October so I'll be scheduled around that!

It's nice and reassuring to know there are others like me out there! I'm currently cancer free and hope to be that way for a very long time!

I just got banded on August 27, 2014. I had Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia, but I'm in complete remission.

Wow that's great..could you tell me a little more about your situation? My husband has cll and want Lap band but is unsure if it will affect his condition. :)

My Dad has CLL so I'm very familiar with both types. I didn't have any issues. My immune system is still not as strong as a normal persons despite being in Complete Remission for several years. I took antibiotics to prevent infection and other than that it was no different for me then it was for anyone else. I had my surgery on a Wednesday and was back at work the following Tuesday.

How are your husband's counts? That would be the main concern. Like any surgery there are always possibilities of infection, hemorrhage, respiratory depression etc.

My concern would be what is his H&H, Platelets, WBC. You wouldn't want him to have surgery if he is at a higher risk due to low counts on any of those.

As far as affecting his condition, it should not do that. I'm under the assumption that his appetite is good. My Dad has lost 50 to 60 lb as he doesn't have an appetite and I have to make him eat. :(

His oncologist would be his best bet to let you know how your husband stands medically wise to undergo an invasive procedure.

Good Luck and feel free to ask me anything :)

Loggerswife: I got my date. It's 10/7. Are you still going to be banded early October?

Me too. Can't wait!

Why would you band? Look into the sleeve, it is auch healthier option and your body has already been through so much.

My surgical oncologist recommended the band to me. I don't agree that getting most of my stomach removed is "healthier" than getting a band, but everyone needs to make the decision that's best for them. Let's respect that.

My oncologist and other docs would only agree to the band. The oncologist didn't see losing most of my stomach as a "healthier" option. Since my immune system is still a bit compromised as I just completed treatment 3 months ago. I'm guessing the sleeve is great for some but, I've been shown way to much evidence that it's not for me.