Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions for surgeon

I finally get my initial consultation with my surgeon on October 2 so it is coming up fast. I am trying to be as prepared as I can be. I know something will be missed because there will never be a perfect appointment where I will leave knowing everything, but I want to know as much as I need to. What are questions you asked your surgeon or you think I should ask mine? Ideas will help me prepare. I know one thing I need to bring up to him is the fact that I already have acid reflux so from what I read here the sleeve is probably out of the question.

I don't have my list anymore, but I asked my surgeon 17 questions, and he patiently aswered them all. But the one question I would urge all newbies to ask is this: How do you manage shoulder gas post-op? My surgeon's response was that he extracts as much as possible so that residual gas is not a problem in the first place. Whatever he did, I am so glad. I did not have a n y shoulder gas post-op.

Karate chops to the neck and shoulders relieved my gas pain several times a day.

Edited by JustWatchMe

there were a lot of things I wanted to know. Stay in hospital? Can I reach him when needed and if not who does he have covering him. if you are doing the lap band who does the fills? how fast does he do the fills? how often does he check for band placement? I don't know the questions if you are having the bypass. I would also like to know about pain management. with some wls the first year is covered under one price. find out what the aftercare is. I also have read that if reflux is a problem that the sleeve wouldn't be your first option. good luck

There are different types of weight loss surgeries. So the appointment will focus on whether you are a good candidate for the surgery; which type of surgery would be best for you; what is the projected outcome; what are the risks; what are the steps that you must pass through in order to get the surgery.

So be forthright about any medical conditions. As you said, having acid reflux may limit you to a RNY rather than a sleeve.

I would read this forum and all of the surgeries and do other research on all of them as well and form my questions from the research. What types of surgeries does your surgeon do? I'd fnd that out first.

I finally get my initial consultation with my surgeon on October 2 so it is coming up fast. I am trying to be as prepared as I can be. I know something will be missed because there will never be a perfect appointment where I will leave knowing everything, but I want to know as much as I need to. What are questions you asked your surgeon or you think I should ask mine? Ideas will help me prepare. I know one thing I need to bring up to him is the fact that I already have acid reflux so from what I read here the sleeve is probably out of the question.

I have acid reflux really bad, also a hiatal hernia that he will fix during my sleeve. Yes I'm getting a sleeve with acid reflux. Wondering why you can't or some drs won't do it?

Thank you for the suggestions. I will be writing a list to take with me to the surgeon.

#9grammy from what I have read on here, if you have acid reflux the sleeve could make it worse causing problems with esophagus. Then they end up having a revision to the bypass. I don't know if this happens to everyone with the acid reflux who gets the sleeve but I have read of a lot of people having that problem here.

I have acid reflux really bad, also a hiatal hernia that he will fix during my sleeve. Yes I'm getting a sleeve with acid reflux. Wondering why you can't or some drs won't do it?

I have severe acid reflux/gerd and the sleeve was never on the table as an option. Often the sleeve makes the reflux worse or creates an acid reflux issue for those who have never had it. It seems pretty standard that if you have bad reflux to begin with that the sleeve is not a good option. Are you sure your surgeon knows about the extent of your acid reflux?

I have GERD, and I told my surgeon, and I will be having the sleeve. Told him about my Hiatal hernia and he said he would fix it. he said sometimes the sleeve will get rid of it. hope all goes well for you

I have GERD, and I told my surgeon, and I will be having the sleeve. Told him about my Hiatal hernia and he said he would fix it. he said sometimes the sleeve will get rid of it. hope all goes well for you

That's what my surgeon said also. In fact he told me the sleeve would be best for me.

Just had my consultation today and I will be having rny gastric bypass because the sleeve is out of the question for me since I have such bad acid reflux