Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

overnight stay?????

My insurance co will not pay for overnight stay. They claim it is out patient surgery. Just wondering if most of you stay overnight or do come home the same day? Thanks......I will be banded on 5-21!!!!

i stayed overnight but because it was 23 hours it was considered outpatient surgery and was billed to the insurance company as such.

I would say that it is half and half on the boards.

Same day surgery for me. You'll do great. I do agree that it is about 50/50 on inpatient vs outpatient.

I wanted to have mine done at an outpatient clinic but the insurance wouldnt approve it there so I have to drive to a hospital over an hour away... I am sure I still get out the same day though.

Thanks for all the replies.....my doc wants in patient, insurance wants out patient! I was just wondering what was the norm. I would rather stay overnight with the nice pain killer button at my fingertips!!!! Thanks for the tip on the ride home. I will tell DH to avoid the bumps! Next stop the ticker factory!

Thanks for all the replies.....my doc wants in patient, insurance wants out patient! I was just wondering what was the norm. I would rather stay overnight with the nice pain killer button at my fingertips!!!! Thanks for the tip on the ride home. I will tell DH to avoid the bumps! Next stop the ticker factory!

Whoa there .....

Please please please remember that if you are sure you will be in pain needing a morphine pump... darl'en, you'll be in some serious pain! Don't plan on it, don't bank on it otherwise you will indeed hurt.

My doc doesn't even give narcotics for pain meds out of surgery. The anesthesiologist gives a form of IV Motrin before we wake up and we get it again every six hours for 4 doses. The next day it is liquid Tylenol if it is asked for.

The truth is, if you aren't planning on having a great deal of pain and if your surgeon is any good, you won't need narcotic pain meds.

I agree with Wasabubblebutt....you shouldn't count on pain meds after surgery. I wasn't given anything after surgery, and honestly didn't need it until much later that evening, and then liquid Tylenol was plenty strong enough.

The only surgery's that I have had were c-sections and I couldn't have lived without the medicine pump. I guess I thought the pain would be similar.

I am glad to hear that I will not need heavy drugs! Thanks for the info.

Had mine done in Mexico and they are much more into what the patient needs compared to the us. Stayed overnight in the hospital, which was 22 hours and then went to the Surgeons house and stayed the second night and then flew and had to change planes in Houston, Texas and then flew on to Nashville and then long 2 1/2 hour drive home. I think you'll do great.

WOW...not an easy task getting home for you. My ride home (1 hour) will be like a piece of cake. Again, thanks for all the replies.....What a great group of people!

I wanted to stay overnight because of living so far away; surgeon said 'you wont need to.' He suggested I stay in a hotel near his hospital if that would make me feel more secure. That's what I had planned to do but 2 hrs after after the surgery I just walked out to the car and rode home and never even needed a Tylenol. No pain, not even a gas pain. I know that not everyone is quite that fortunate but this is not like having a baby....thank goodness!!