Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering Lapband and have concerns

You also mention that you'll be paying cash for your procedure. Be sure to ask what follow-up is included... does your doctor cover fills for the first year, two? Or not at all? Is fluoro extra?? What about unfills?? Will they do them for free, for free within a certain time period after a fill, etc.?? All important things to know... especially as a self-pay. I've paid anywhere from a co-pay up to $650 for a fill... with the average being around $350. You need to budget for these especially during your first year. If your not losing weight, and you can't afford a fill, you will most likely become very frustrated. You can check/ask on the Fill boards specifically to see if there may be a doctor or fill-center that is closer to you that might work better for you.

Regarding weight gain... I understand your concern. Most of us have failed at keeping weight off in the past and have regained more than we lost most times. I want you to know that the band requireds hard work on your part. The difference with the band is that the hard work pays off...A first for me! Even when I've royally screwed up a day of eating, I either plateau, or lose anyway. Quite a change...... I've sometimes wondered if I would have enjoyed gastric bypass more----that sudden big drop inw eight that happens almost in spite of yourself. But I know that there's something about working and succeeding at wieght loss that is so good for my soul. I've needed that experience all of my life.

You ask for erosion and slippage statistics. Favretti has been doing the Band almost longer than anybody... and he shows the following:

* Erosion in 21 patients over 6 years of follow-up from 1893 patients total. Which translates into 1%

He doesn't list any stats for slippage over 6 years... but does include gastric pouch dilation in 93 patients or 4.9%

* There's a study from Switzerland that shows a gradually reduced slippage rate ranging from 3.8% to 0.9% over three years. They attribute this to the newer Band and pars flaccida technique. Weiner also shows a slippage rate of around 3-4% in his 8 year follow-up study.

I know that from looking at the complications boards, one can assume that the rate of slippage or errosion is higher than it actually is. Why?? Well, most Bandsters stop hanging out on support boards after the first year or two. They've lost their weight, and they're out busy living life. The only reason they come back is to either give back/share their experience -or- because they are having issues. There have been more than 300,000 Lap-Bands placed worldwide... you're definitely not seeing the average patient if you look at the complication board. :D (This applies for any surgery, though.)

Thanks everyone for responding. As far as slippage goes- when they remove the band will they put another one on? Is that the patients choice? I'm leaning towards lapband because I really want to have another baby. I'm 34 and have had years of infertility issues. My concern is if I have a gastric I will be forced to wait a year or two before getting pregnant and with my history this could be catistrophic.

I know there are risks with both operations but if you were to chose a surgeon who forces outpatient surgery who has done 900 lapbands verse a surgeon who has done primarily gastric and has done about 40 lapbands but allows an overnight stay in the hospital which would you choose?

I don't want to drive all the way home to early and become sick with outpatient surgery.

I would choose the surgeon who'd done 900 surgeries and stay at a local hotel for the first night or two if you are nervous. Probably the long drive home is a bit much for the same day of surgery anyway.

I didn't do *alot* of research on the aftercare of the bypass, but from my understanding, many patients have monthly doctor's visits and blood tests for the first year out of surgery. To me this seemed more time consuming than getting a fill when you needed it (assuming you weren't trying to go every 2 weeks or something).

Dr. Rumbaut said to me "The great thing about the band, is if you were to get pregnant tomorrow, it'd be fine". I had no intention of becoming pregnant at the time, but I thought I would pass that along.

I know there are risks with both operations but if you were to chose a surgeon who forces outpatient surgery who has done 900 lapbands verse a surgeon who has done primarily gastric and has done about 40 lapbands but allows an overnight stay in the hospital which would you choose?

I don't want to drive all the way home to early and become sick with outpatient surgery.

Oh, the one that has done 900 bands. 40 isn't nearly enough to have the technique down well. I wouldn't go to anyone with less than 500. However 250 is okay as well.

Doing the procedure on an outpatient basis is the norm in the US. Most who had it done this way have no complaints. It's not my preference but it also isn't techniqually bad or wrong.

Thanks everyone for responding. As far as slippage goes- when they remove the band will they put another one on? Is that the patients choice? I'm leaning towards lapband because I really want to have another baby. I'm 34 and have had years of infertility issues. My concern is if I have a gastric I will be forced to wait a year or two before getting pregnant and with my history this could be catistrophic.

Usually they can put another Band on for slippage. Erosion can be a different story... sometimes they need to let the stomach heal... other times, they don't recommend rebanding.

With nearly all weight loss surgery, they don't recommend you get pregnant until at least 12-18 months after surgery. The good thing with the Lap-Band is that should you get pregnant before then, you can have your Band deflated. Future pregnancies was one of the major reasons I chose the Lap-Band.

I'd choose the surgeon who had more experience...and who you were most comfortable with. They used to say that the learning curve was for the first 50 patients, but the more, the better. There is such a big difference between the two, that I'd almost always choose Dr. 900. Just check out his/her reviews on Obesity Help and see what other Lap-Banders have thought. S/He's not going to not let you stay in the hospital if you're having problems... don't worry. I definitely second the recommendation of getting a hotel/motel near by and staying for two days or so. When I went to Mexico, I stayed at a Hampton Inn which served all of Rumbaut's patients. One of the great recommendations I had was to request both a handicapped room as well as a room with a recliner.. as sleeping in the recliner was a lot more comfortable than a flat bed immediately after surgery.

Because I too will want to get pregnant one day I looked up studies about that before I got banded. Bands are the safest method of WLS in regards to pregnancy. The risks of pregnancy in morbidly obese women are actually higher than the risks of pregnancy in banded women (who are down to a healthy weight I assumed). The risks of the band were comparable, I think, to normal risks. Plus if you ever become sick or something you won't have to worry about how malabsorption would affect what you take. For me, at least, that was big, since I will always require meds for chronic issues. I also liked the idea of getting fills far on down the road (assuming my band doesn't get filled to capacity sooner) should I need them. Ten years after surgery, I know a lot of bypass patients have gained back a certain amount. But that is just me. You have to decide what works for you.

I have had my band for a month now. My 1st dr's apt and fill is on Thursday. I'm excited to finally get a fill. So far I have lost 15 lbs and I look forward to boosting my weight loss. I know that everyone loses weight differently however, what is your average weight loss per week? My goal is 3 lbs a week with exercise is that achievable from your experiences?

I have had my band for a month now. My 1st dr's apt and fill is on Thursday. I'm excited to finally get a fill. So far I have lost 15 lbs and I look forward to boosting my weight loss. I know that everyone loses weight differently however, what is your average weight loss per week? My goal is 3 lbs a week with exercise is that achievable from your experiences?

I had surgery in December and I lost 70lbs by May. I increased calories in June (plastic surgeon requested I stop losing weight for a while) and started losing again last month. I was at 252 and now I'm STUCK at 172.