Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared about 1st fill! Please help!!!!

What to expect on the 1st fill?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What to expect on the 1st fill?

• Will I have restriction?
    • Will I need to be on liquids?

I am going for my first fill tomorrow 05/04. I have been reading stories from most of you, and they have scared me? What questions do I ask my Dr.? I too, feel like I can eat anything. I really want to know what to look for or should I say feel for? Any help would be greatly appreciated.help.gif

don't worry about your fill...it does not hurt! you won't feel a thing. My port was hard to find at first but it didn't hurt. so be happy - the xray photo will distract you as well. honest, no pain....:clap2:

Hi Gloria. First of all, don't stress over your fill. I was very nervous about my first fill also. But it was all for nothing. I have two surgeons taking care of me. They are married and work as a team. She did my first and second fill. Some doctors prefer to numb the area above the port, some don't. I got my third fill this past monday. He doesn't numb the area. My preference is not to numb it first. the medication that is used to numb the area stings. Plus you are getting stuck twice. (but just once into the port) It's not any worse than getting stuck in the arm for a shot. just in a different spot. That's just my opinion. And one other thing. If you stress about it, your skin will tighten and will make it hurt worse than if you try to stay relaxed. Try not to worry bout it, it will be ok.

lisa

Fills are a breeze. My advice would be to decline the local if they offer. IME the local hurt, just getting the fill does not.

As for your questions, no one here can answer them accurately, unless they have a heck of a crystal ball. :)

The best any of us can do is give you our experiences. I can't know if you will have restriction because I don't know what size your band is, how much fill your surgeon will give, and most importantly how YOUR BODY will respond to the band. Meaning, take 10 people with the same band who all say they have perfect restriction, and you're going to have 10 different fill amounts.

Whether or not you go on liquids is up to your surgeon. Mine recommends mushies for the remainer of the day, then normal foods the next. Yours may put you on liquids.< /p>

You said you were scared, but then asked if you would have to be on liquids and have restriction. Is this what you're scared of?

Don't worry at all. I went for my 2nd fill on Tuesday and it was as easy as the first. AND, this time it's working!! I am really restricted and very excited about losing! Good luck, it's truly no big deal.

Take care.

Gretchen

banded 2/23/07

Thank you so much for the replies. I think the scary part is the fill not the liquids. I just don't understand how a person can't lose weight when they are eating right and excercising daily.

Simply.. the scale lies to us sometime.

Take measurments along with the scale.

I have started to really work out harder, and I have been "stuck" on the scale. however, I have a test pair of pants and I can tell they are fitting better. (I only take my measurements once a month)

My first fill was a breeze.

Gloria,

I think most of us are afraid of the unknown when we have our 1st fill. I had mine the other day (4 months after surgery) and my doctor uses the fluoro (sp) along with baruim (sp) and it was a little discomfort but NO WAY DOD IT HURT. It was done in less than 10 min. I was able to get 3.5 on my VG 10 band.

Getting fills is just something we have to get used to for the band to be able to do it's job.

Good luck.

Jayne from NJ

260/230/150

Hi, All Your Comments Are Great! Really food For Thought! I Am Really A Baby When It Comes To 'needles'.also I 2nd.guess Myself All The Time Regarding How Important This All Is(lapband) However Facts Are, I Am Not Losing The 'fat'! All Of You Take Care, Nancy

Nancy,

What did you mean about your last post? You aren't loosing weight? When did you have your surgery? Tell me some more details let me see if I can help you.

Jayne

Jayne, i haven't had surgery yet. My Dr.tells me I am a good candidate.I do hate the FAT, but I am scared that I will fell at this ALSO!! I know that shows how very insecurity I am!!! Also ALL those needles-wow, I am being silly, I guess,But scared to tears! Thanks for listening! Nancy