Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Maybe To-Be Bander [hopefully] QUESTION!

Hi I'm 17 and about 240 lbs and I recently considered Lap Band as a procedure. I went to a seminar today that talked about it and whatnot and got some great info.

But what I want to know is stuff from you experienced people.

My main concern is the doctor kept saying "lap band for life"

Do I really need to keep the band in FOREVER? If and when I get thinner, I dont want some big ugly port-bump! Besides, having something artificial in my body forever kind of gives me the creeps.

Another question = (I hate sounding so superficial about this but hey I'm a teen!) Scarring. What is your experience with scarring and what should I expect??

Oh yeah one more thing - I'd like some general stories/advice. Anyone willing to share is more than welcome...I'm a youngin' but I'm damned intelligent so anything is more than appreciated.

Also - foods/drinks that just DID NOT work for you and your band. Could be spice-wise, size-wise, consistency-wise anything really.

Thank you in advance!!:)

Personally I would rather live forever with horrible scarring and an ugly port bump rather than spending the rest of my life being fat. As it is my scarring is not too bad. My largest incision is about 3 inches long. As for keeping the band in forever, I am going to fight with people to take it out. I have lost enough pounds to know over the years that once the diet is over the weight comes back. The band does not allow that to happen. I can only eat a little bit and that is all I am going to be able to eat. If my band was not here I would already be binging on food (believe me I have tried and the pain is incredible). As for food I can eat, I can pretty much eat or drink anything depending on the time of day and how well I chew. Sometimes something that might have gone down easy the day before (like say chicken) is more difficult for me the next day.

The lap band is for life. At least as long as you keep it in you. Think of it as a food "pacemaker". If it is doing it's job and keeping you thin why would you want to get rid of it.

My GOAL is to KEEP my band for Life!!!!!!!!

I have lost so much weight 80 lbs 3 times in my adult life and 20-30 lbs more times than I can count...... the problem is MAINTAINING IT.. that's where the band comes in..... As for what foods you can tolerate.. well, that will be up to your body and your band........ some can eat anything (just not much of it) but some can eat only certain things... My doc said that the only thing we REALLY have to give up is WHITE DOUGHY bread, but as soon as he said that someone got up and had lost 100 lbs and CAN eat it........ so as with all things YMMV.

It is a life decision, It is a BIG decision, and It IS a permanant decision....

If you lose all your weight, you will always face the hurdle of maintaining.... you get down to a great size and you become complacent.. that is where (if you are banded) you either step up the exercise or you get a fill to keep you from eating. If you take out your band your ENTIRE stomach will be wide open waiting for food.

It took me two years to decide to go this route, because I KNOW I CAN lose weight........ but after much soul searching I decided to go this route and use the band as the TOOL it is meant to be.

Good Luck!

Do I really need to keep the band in FOREVER? If and when I get thinner, I dont want some big ugly port-bump! Besides, having something artificial in my body forever kind of gives me the creeps.

Sorry for the directness, but if you need the band to lose weight, why do you think you'll be able to maintain without it? I'm not saying it won't happen, but it's very unlikely. The lap-band isn't a "quick fix." It's not designed to be installed until, and then taken out like braces. Part of what you're doing when you're banded is agreeing to have a medical implant. Sure, you could find someone to take it out, but then what do you do if the weight comes back? Get another one? Live with regret?

If the idea of a port bothers you (not all of them show, BTW), then ask your surgeon to use a low profile port from the get-go.

Another question = (I hate sounding so superficial about this but hey I'm a teen!) Scarring. What is your experience with scarring and what should I expect??

The only one of my scars that are anything more than very faint, thin, pale lines is my port scar which had minor keloiding. I have no idea what you should expect, I know nothing about your skin type, family disposition, and how you will treat yourself after surgery (e.g. sun exposure can emphasize the scars).

Oh yeah one more thing - I'd like some general stories/advice. Anyone willing to share is more than welcome...I'm a youngin' but I'm damned intelligent so anything is more than appreciated.

Stories about what in particular? There are many aspects to being banded, many different types of stories to tell. And probably one of the best ways is to search for terms like "my story", or the specific topic that you're curious about. :)

Also - foods/drinks that just DID NOT work for you and your band. Could be spice-wise, size-wise, consistency-wise anything really.

Nothing known for me. Bananas, applesauce, scrambled eggs and processes eggs cause me pain when I have good restriction, but I can eat them if I want. My difficulty is more around time of day than food.

Thank you in advance!!grin.gif

<!-- / message -->

I do hope to be able to keep my band for life, if I don't it means that something went wrong and it had to be removed. What port bump??? I've been banded for over 2 years and my port doesn't show, I know it's there because I can feel it under my skin when I touch it. It doesn't hurt. As a matter of fact, most of the time I don't even remember I have a band. Eating small portions, making correct food choices, chewing slowly and calmly, etc - all these procedures are already working on auto-pilot in my daily routine.

I do have scars, my skin reacts badly to scarring, but what the hell, I rather have my small scar than being obese the rest of my life.

Oh and just me - I'll take my 5 little surgery scars over more stretch mark roadmaps any day of the week!

I dont know were to start??? Your 17 and weigh 240lbs, You need to think about how much more you could weigh in a couple years from now, Think about how much more uncomfortable you will be, how much harder it will be to find clothes that fit and are trendy and If you dont have health problems now you will soon. If you have the chance to have this operation you should go for it. my biggest incision is 1 1/2 inches and are nothing compared to all my stretch marks. You know when I was 17 I weighed 220 and was having a baby, my baby is now 8 1/2, she is very athletic and has no weight problems, cause I wont allow it. It's hard for me to just stand on the sidelines when she is playin soccor or just wants to be chased around at the park, I want to help her practice soccer and I want to chase her. Now that I got the band I will be able to do those things with time. But I wish I could have started along time ago. SO WHAT IM TRYIN TO SAY IS YOU NEED TO THINK ABOUT YOUR FUTURE, dont let little things like scares and ports discouage you. You worth having a life. I wish you luck and would love to know what you choose.

Sincerely, Emily