Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

fellow bariatric surgery friends and their opinions

I'm finding it annoying that some of my friends who have had bariatric surgery TELL me what foods I can't and can eat. Just because they can't tolerate it doesn't mean I won't be able to. Or that I can eat this or that even though it's not on our drs approved foods list at this stage.

Annoying. I know they are just trying to be suggestive and help but there's a better way to deliver it than being an authoritative know it all.

While it is true I bet this can be annoying. Think of the alternative and it might give you a bit more patience with them. I bet prior to surgery they were a wealth of insight, inspiration, and information for you. When you do find something that works for you that maybe didn't work for them, invite them to try your way ( I bet they will be just as annoyed) Anyone that has had surgery who tried something and got ill etc is always advised to try a week later, maybe they are the ones that needed more time to adjust than you. You can be just as authoritative with your own reverse advice and suggestions =P

Just tell them that you got it. And if you need them you will ask. And leave it at that. But on the other hand if you start to have problems and they are this supportive. I would find others to talk to because they maybe won't be so willing to help.

I know myself. I get pretty excited about WLS. And talk to anyone who will listen. Mostly now though except here. I wait until someone asks me a question.

I have a few WLS friends and I find that even if I don't need their information or support today, doesn't mean I'll never need it. As for advice, sometimes some of it still comes in handy too. If I don't need it, I just nod my head and go on.

Everyone's journey is different. Some folks don't tolerate certain foods ever again, some "swear off" trigger foods and choose to enjoy them never again. Me? I eat everything I like in small quantities. I stay in control with food logging and exercise. As long as I'm meeting my Protein goals and work whatever it is into my day calorie-wise, it's all allowed and I feel no guilt whatsoever. It's what works for me. You'll find what works for you and when you and shouldn't have to apologize for it to your well-meaning friends.

Below are a few verbatim instructions from my own surgeon's official nutrition guide. Per all this, there are individual differences and lots of variation over time regarding food tolerances.

Please Note:

food intolerances vary with each person and at different times. What wasn't tolerated 3 months after surgery may be tolerated 6-9 months after.

Tips for better food tolerance:

* As a general rule, it is best to try only one new food per day.

* Make a note of the foods that are tolerated well, along with those that aren't tolerated.

* Avoid foods that aren't tolerated for 1-3 months before trying them again.