Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone!! My name is Mya... I'm so glad I found your forum. I just got off the phone with the staff at the hospital in Mexico, and I'm getting BANDED... May 16 should be the day.. a little va-cay, and a little surgery. YAY!! I'm so psyched about loosing this stubborn 20lbs. I've tried fasting, but I get sooo hungggrrryy.. It'd be nice to not have that craving, ya know?? Anyhow.. I'm looking forward to swimsuit season!!! So glad to be here.. Hey, how did you guys get those banners that say how much you have to lose? I'm at 117lbs now, and I'd like to get down to 97 (But I'd be TOTALLY happy to be at 100!!!!)

Anyhow, off to work.

Later

Mya

Hi Mya,

You might want to do a search on Betancourt to read up on some prior posts about people's experiences there. 'Nuff said.

Next, are you saying you currently weigh 117 and are having surgery to lose 20 lbs? That can't be what you mean, can it?

"Kay.. thanks Alexandra!!!

(Yes..I've been STRUGGLING for that last 20lbs.. this surgery will be worth every hard earned penny).

Googling Betancourt now.

Toots

Mya

20 lbs is not, in my opinion, worth running the risks of surgery. EVERY surgery has risk, and no doctor in the US would perform weight loss surgery on someone trying to get down to double-digit weight. How tall are you? Unless you are 3 feet tall this just makes no sense to me, I have to be honest.

Are you seriously thinking of spending multiple thousands of dollars and running the very real risk of surgery to lose 20 lbs?

You totally think it's not worth the risk, huh?? I do.. You know what the struggle of losing weight is.

You're right though.. I could not get a US doc to sign off on the surgery. If it doesn't work, I can always have the band removed, and I am really healthy otherwise, so I'm not too spooked about the risks. C'est la vie.

Hey.. do you know how I can get one of those things on my messages witht he little turtle showing how much weight I've lost..

outta here

mya

Mya, at your age I'd really suggest doing something else to try to lose weight. You didn't answer the question of your height, but even if you're less than 5' tall you already have a normal BMI. Why is your goal weight so low?

Oh, and I meant search here for threads on Betencourt Medical, not Google. Although doing both is no doubt a good idea.

5'6".. I think that's why I had such a hard time getting an MD approval here.....

Don't get all 'that's soo underweight' on me... I totally wanna model, and there's no way anyone's hiring me with all this cottage cheese on my tushie. :-)

Anyhow.. how do I get one of those turtle thingys?

Mya

OK, at that height and weight your CURRENT body-mass index is 18.9. So you want to model, that's great. A lap-band is not going to help you. Hell, it might even be visible on you. For sure the port will be.

If you want to have surgery to remove cottage cheese from your tushie, you want liposuction. Why not explore that, or body contouring, or some of the other procedures out there for that purpose? You really don't want something that will compromise your ability to eat, since you really don't need to lose any more weight.

Please reconsider.

5'6'- you want to under 100 lbs and you say you are healthy!!!! And you want to pay 8500 to get a band. I do not think it is a weightloss doctor that you really need. Plus, I have a sneaking suspision your post is a joke. If it is not a joke-I think you are a very shallow person to come on a website aimed at people who have real issues. Hey go to Benecourt I say-don't bother to do anymore research. Joke or not you are extremely shallow.:) Good luck.

Oh one more thing-You have the nerve to use the handle PORKERCHICK. Sick. Is that what you think of others who are not 5'6" and 100lbs ?

Hey Jono.. I totally didn't mean to offend... Can't we all just get along.

I am going to look into Alex's advice and see about the plastic surgery.. I couldn't find anything bad on Betencourt... They seemed very friendly on the phone... The think I'm hesitant about the plastic surgery is that's like admitting failure.. I want to loose this weight by watching what I eat (with the band) not by having someone suck it out of me.

Thank you so much for your positive advice.. you guys sound like my mom .. she wasn't happy with my decision either.. but I'm going to put my tax refund money towards it.

Hey Mya, there's NOTHING about plastic surgery for someone of your size that says "failure." It's not weight that you need to deal with, it's just an unfortunate distribution of your tissues. :) Hell, it's people like you--perfect weight, lumps in the wrong places--for whom plastic surgery was invented. If you lose weight there is absolutely no guarantee that it will come off your thighs, as opposed to your breasts or muscles or ankles, say.

And to see threads here about Betencourt, just scroll down to the bottom of this page. You'll see a couple, I think, under Similar Threads.

Oh, and I didn't mean anything to offend anyone ELSE with my name (porkerchick) .. you can just call me Mya.. but I needed a screen name for the board, and I use porkerchick for alot of stuff... I DO have poor body image, and I don't think not belonging to a certain 'weight class' makes me ineligible for wanting to lose excess baggage. In the few posts that I read, I've seen people call themselves bubblebutt, biggirls, and fat.. they talk about having rolls of fat, jiggling, and having chairs stick to their butt when they get out of them... aren't THOSE things offensive??? Are you guys some kind of exclusive soriety that only the elite of the over weight can join????

I don't appreciate being considered a joke, BUT I can understand where you're coming from, and it's all good.

Mya-out.

Oh, ok.. I see the Betencourt stuff now.. I was looking under introductions, that's why I didn't see it before... Thanks alexandra.

mya-out