Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

pre-op diet help needed

I was told by my surgeon that I had to lose 25 pounds before surgery, and that it should only take a couple of months. He recommended 3-4 Protein Shakes a day and no more than 1000 calories a day. According to MFP - that will only give me a loss of .6 lb per week - so only 5 pounds in 2 months!

I was also told by the surgery coordinator that their office requires a 3 month supervised weight loss program - but she said I could use Weight Watchers and that they don't tell us how to do it - and they don't do the supervising because "Everyone who gets this surgery knows how to lose weight - they just don't know how to keep it off." Well - the only time I lost at least 25 pounds was after 3 months on Medifast. I lost about .5 ;b per week following Weight Watchers when I was on it a couple of months ago.

I don't know how much/percentage of Protein I should be getting in pre-op. I guess I'll find out at the NUT appt - but they haven't set that yet.

I need to lose a lot of weight quickly - not sure what to do at this point. I haven't been able to lose that much weight since I was in my 20s - and now I'm 46!

I hear you... VERY difficult to lose weight! The only thing I have is the pre-op diet plan that my nutritionist gave me:

Instructions on PreOp Diet - meal plan Example

Morning meal:

1 serving Protein shake

½ c. oatmeal (plain/unflavored), farina, grits, & other hot cereals (do not add butter or sugar)

Snack:

1 c. sugar-free pudding

lunch:

1 serving of Protein Shake

6 oz. fat-free, low sugar yogurt (<20 grams sugar/serving)

Snack:

sugar-free Gelatin

dinner:

1 serving Protein Shake

1/2c. unsweetened applesauce

Bedtime Snack:

1 serving of Protein shake

6 oz. fat-free, low sugar yogurt (<20 grams sugar/serving)

• 1200 calories per day
  • 60 (women) – 80 (men) grams protein per day
  • <= 100 grams of total carbohydrate per day

Also, there is a book that helped me a lot: Emotional First Aid Kit by Cynthia Alexander. It covers how to set up your environment so you can be more successful.

I also would try for more exercise that won't cause a physical problem, for example, swimming, stationary bike, biking outside.

You may want to check out meetup.com, add your zip code in, click on "Fitness," and find out what groups you can join to do exercise with others.

Edited by BeagleLover

I hear you... VERY difficult to lose weight! The only thing I have is the pre-op diet plan that my nutritionist gave me: Instructions on PreOp Diet - meal plan Example Morning meal: 1 serving Protein shake ½ c. oatmeal (plain/unflavored), farina, grits, & other hot cereals (do not add butter or sugar) Snack: 1 c. sugar-free pudding Lunch: 1 serving of Protein Shake 6 oz. fat-free, low sugar yogurt (<20 grams sugar/serving) Snack: sugar-free Gelatin Dinner: 1 serving Protein shake 1/2c. unsweetened applesauce Bedtime Snack: 1 serving of Protein Shake 6 oz. fat-free, low sugar yogurt (<20 grams sugar/serving) 1200 calories per day 60 (women) – 80 (men) grams protein per day <= 100 grams of total carbohydrate per day Also, there is a book that helped me a lot: Emotional First Aid Kit by Cynthia Alexander. It covers how to set up your environment so you can be more successful. I also would try for more exercise that won't cause a physical problem, for example, swimming, stationary bike, biking outside. You may want to check out meetup.com, add your zip code in, and find out what groups you can join to do exercise. with others.

That's so helpful - thanks!!!

I'm about to get off my butt in a few and go to the gym and swim laps for the first time in two months :)

My preop diet consisted of...

3 Protein shakes/day (read the labels to make sure they have 20-30g Protein and no more than 5g sugar)....I could replace a shake with unflavored Protein powder mixed in broth for a break from the sweet shakes.

Certain veggies in unlimited quantities (spinach, broccoli, lettuce, brussel sprouts, mushrooms, tomatoes, green beans)....I used flavored vinegar or lemon juice for dressing on the lettuce

At least 64oz water/day

SF Jello or SF Popsicles. ( I made my own protein pops by freezing Protein drinks in silicone molds I found on Amazon)

Didn't count calories or anything.

Lost 22 pounds in 16 days (and I'm 45)

And Cynthia Alexander's book is great.

Edited by Kindle

My preop diet consisted of... 3 Protein shakes/day (read the labels to make sure they have 20-30g protein and no more than 5g sugar)....I could replace a shake with unflavored Protein Powder mixed in broth for a break from the sweet shakes. Certain veggies in unlimited quantities (spinach, broccoli, lettuce, brussel sprouts, mushrooms, tomatoes, green beans)....I used flavored vinegar or lemon juice for dressing on the lettuce At least 64oz water/day SF Jello or SF Popsicles. ( I made my own protein pops by freezing Protein Drinks in silicone molds I found on Amazon) Didn't count calories or anything. Lost 22 pounds in 16 days (and I'm 45) And Cynthia Alexander's book is great.

Thank you - you've given me hope!!! And I will download her book to my kindle tonight :)

Kaiser gives a specific pre op diet 1200 or less calories. Protein, veggies, whole grain, fruit. Protein first. Then veggies etc...They only do shakes the month prior to surgery because they want people to learn to eat healthier first.

Im 41 and I can lose 2-5 a week eating under 1200 and EXERCISING...even if it's just a brisk walk but it's easier for me to do circuit weights at the gym than walkng and it builds muscle and burns more fat faster. But replacing meals with shakes you should melt off lbs. good luck. I'm trying more shakes because I'm stocking up for post op so I'm hoping to melt a few extra each week. I get my surgery date this week :)

What am I thinking! I followed a diabetic diet when I was pregnant (gestational diabetes). I lost 25 lbs. with each pregnancy, and my kids were normal weight and healthy. I suggest the 1200 calorie American Diabetic Association diet. Each meal has <=5 fat grams; no sugar. So, you get balanced healthy meals. Without much fat and no sugar, you actually get the most out of those 1200 calories.

Good luck!