Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Blood Sugar and Pre-Op

Hi everyone,

I am having the sleeve done on 8/27...finally!!! I just started my 2-week liquid diet. I am following it to a T. I thought after day one when I woke up this morning, my glucose would be lower. It was 170, and I usually run about 115. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Has anyone had issues with an inital spike? I briefly read somewhere about liver and glucose, blah blah, but I don't think it was reliable.

Thanks for your help!

I am pre-surgery as well and am wondering if one's blood sugar has to be a certain number before they will operate??? Not on the liquid diet yet... my DOS is at the end of Sept.

<p>Hi everyone,</p> <p> </p> <p>I am having the sleeve done on 8/27...finally!!! I just started my 2-week liquid diet. I am following it to a T. I thought after day one when I woke up this morning, my glucose would be lower. It was 170, and I usually run about 115. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah!</p> <p> </p> <p>Has anyone had issues with an inital spike? I briefly read somewhere about liver and glucose, blah blah, but I don't think it was reliable.</p> <p> </p> <p>Thanks for your help!</p>

we are getting sleeved on the same day... Where do you live?

Hi everyone,

I am having the sleeve done on 8/27...finally!!! I just started my 2-week liquid diet. I am following it to a T. I thought after day one when I woke up this morning, my glucose would be lower. It was 170, and I usually run about 115. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Has anyone had issues with an inital spike? I briefly read somewhere about liver and glucose, blah blah, but I don't think it was reliable.

Thanks for your help!

What kind of shakes are you drinking? Something like a slim fast has a high sugar content. While tastier than other brands, they can also spike your blood sugar. My surgeon was not concerned about a one off spike as much as he was the overall HgA1C. In fact they would not do surgery if your HgA1C was over 8 at my hospital (but some places do not care about that either).

Also, maybe you just had your last shake too late in the evening? Sugar levels cycle up and down as we sleep so maybe if you drank a shake at 10 pm or something right before bed the lateness of it might have triggered your sugar cycle to be at a high point when you tested in the morning.

I am pre-surgery as well and am wondering if one's blood sugar has to be a certain number before they will operate??? Not on the liquid diet yet... my DOS is at the end of Sept.

I have no idea what my sugar level was the morning before my surgery. I forgot to test. But as I said before, some surgeons are concerned about the overall HgA1C, not daily fluctuations. Ask your doctor's office if they are concerned about it.

I am having surgery in Mesa, AZ.

I drink the premiere shakes from costco. Finding blood sugar is lower in the afternoon than morning. Have not had another 170 morning. About 130-140, which is still high for me.