Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone gone from the lapband- sleeve?

Hi everyone just wondering if anyone has gone from the lapband to sleeve surgery, and if they had better results.

I currently have the lapband lost 22kg in 18 months ( I need to lose at least another 40 kg). About 8 months ago I was getting terrible reflux and regurgitation at night, my surgeon took some Fluid out and said I was probably to tight and have ended up with gastritis. After taking 1 ml out, I felt better but this only lasted 2 weeks and all symptoms of reflux returned. I went back to my dr, he removed another 1 ml and sent me off for a barium. Here I was thinking I had symptoms of a slippage, but the barium showed nothing the band was fine and I had no other issues. After another month my reflux once again returned and I have had most of my fluid removed. My dr said I need to rest it for a little while. That's all well and good, but during that time I have put on 4 kg and feeling terrible and angry myself.

I have had nothing but trouble with the band for over 10 months now and getting sick if the constant appointments adjustments, and over all disappointment of not getting anywhere near my goal weight.

Has anyone else has similar experiences?, what did you do? And has anyone gone from a failed band to a sleeve with more success.

One of the doctors at the clinic I went to said if I wanted to lose weight more quickly why didn't I get the sleeve, if I had know this and was informed at the start I would've gone with a sleeve. But we generally go by what our doctors recommendations.

Feeling deflated!

tegz - I had a band for five years. Lost over 100 lbs, had a healthy successful pregnancy, and generally loved the boundary the band provided for me. Last November, I caught a terrible stomach bug and was violently sick. I couldn't keep down the anti-nausea meds my Dr. had prescribed, and by the time I made it to the hospital, I had a tear in my stomach. I had to have the band removed and spent a week in the hospital. Fast forward nine months, I gained back over 60 lbs. I was so sad, which fueled my poor eating habits. Without the band as a tool to keep me in check, I obviously reverted right back to bad habits (I'm embarrassed to admit....)

Three weeks ago, I had sleeve surgery. I am so excited about this opportunity to start fresh. The surgery went well, my recovery was easy - back to work after a week off, and very little pain. The port pain I had with the band was worse than my post-sleeve surgery pain. I have "graduated" to the soft food stage, and am so happy to be able to feel full and satisfied with such small portions. I feel as though I have ALL the benefits of the band without any of the crazy issues (port pain, reflux, getting stick, pb-ing).

I always said that the band was the best decision I ever made and I was so pleased with my results - until I got so sick. Now, I wish I had gone with the sleeve in the first place. However, like you, it was not presented as an option for me 5 years ago. Either way, I am thrilled. Already down 25 lbs! If you have the means, I would HIGHLY encourage you to consider revision to sleeve.

I have heard so many people say the band didn't work or causes problems down the line. But I've also heard mortality rates are higher with the sleeve and the risk of a staple coming out is very dangerous. I'm glad I finally settled on lapband with plication. I wanted something that could be reversed in case of emergency. I also realize a lot of people have issues with the band, and I would certainly consider the sleeve if the band doesn't work for me in the long run. I just chose to start with the safer route.