Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 6 months post op with no follow up visits and no surgeon.

Hi. I had surgery on February 19th. I went to get my staples taken out but I never made it to any actual follow up appointments. A month ago, I got a letter in the mail saying that my surgeon was moving farther away. That's why I couldn't make my other follow up appointments was because it was too far. I've called two other doctors in my city and they tell me they're going to call me back but don't. So do I just have to keep calling them?

Why do you need to see a surgeon? Are you having problems?

I can't handle any Protein Drinks and I'm having trouble eating enough to get enough Protein. Protein drinks all make my stomach turn and hurt the moment it hits my stomach. I'm worried because I don't know if my Vitamin levels and everything are normal.

How far away is your doctor? Can you do a phone consult with him or can he refer you to another doctor? I had my surgery in Mexico, so all of my followup has been done over the phone and via email. As for postop bloodwork, my regular doctor just ordered the labs recommended by my surgeon at 3 months and 6 months postop.

Have you tried non-whey based Protein drinks? There is pea, soy, hemp and sprouted seed based Protein products. You may have a little lactose intolerance. How about other dairy products? Do they stay down OK? Are you taking a PPI or antacid?

Foods with high protein that I can eat....chicken, tuna fish, burger, ham, pork loin, turkey, sausage, fish, corned beef, eggs, nuts, Peanut Butter, split pea Soup, bean Soups, cheese, Greek Yogurt, cottage cheese, edamame and Jerky.

Can you eat Protein Bars? A lot of people like Quest bars. Personally, I eat Natures Valley Protein, GNC lean bars and Fiber One Meal bars.

Good luck.

I would keep calling. I think summer is the busy season for bariatric surgery so they might be extra busy right now. :) Don't give up you are worth it! :P

Your PCP should be able to order lab work for you that will test all your Vitamin and mineral levels as well as indicate whether you are getting enough Protein. You shouldn't need a bariatric surgeon for that.

I went to see my Dr. yesterday for my last appointment before surgery. Which is Sept. 3rd. He told me I come back to the office for 1 week follow up. Come back in 1 year for blood tests. I only have to call him if I am having a problem. In my support group I was told there is no follow up like with the lapband you have to go every month.

Oh really? I didn't know I could just go to a pcp. Thank you everyone!

As for Protein, I've tried all different based kinds that I could find at the store. I have no problems with any other dairy.

Also, anyone else, do you have problems drinking plain Water? Plain Water makes my stomach feel really weird. It's tolerable, just weird feeling. I can drink anything else, cold or hot, and I won't feel a thing. I can almost chug gatoraid. Not chug, but more than little sips.

Oh really? I didn't know I could just go to a pcp. Thank you everyone!

As for Protein, I've tried all different based kinds that I could find at the store. I have no problems with any other dairy.

Also, anyone else, do you have problems drinking plain Water? Plain Water makes my stomach feel really weird. It's tolerable, just weird feeling. I can drink anything else, cold or hot, and I won't feel a thing. I can almost chug gatoraid. Not chug, but more than little sips.

Try drinking your water lukewarm. I can't drink cold water. Also in the Kool Aid aisle the have a lot different drops and powders u can add to your water. Flavor enhancers. That should work. Good luck.