Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May Day

When I was a little girl growing up in Northern Minnesota on May 1st we would make little baskets of candy and put them on our friends door step, knock on the door and run. It was our way of celebrating May Day. I was wondering if anyone else did something like this? It really makes me nostalgic thinking about a simplier life and time.

When I was a little girl growing up in Northern Minnesota on May 1st we would make little baskets of candy and put them on our friends door step, knock on the door and run. It was our way of celebrating May Day. I was wondering if anyone else did something like this? It really makes me nostalgic thinking about a simplier life and time.

I remember doing that when I was like maybe 8 or 9 years old!

Hey, we might have been neighbors, I grew up in the most northeastern tip of North Dakota....like a mile away from Minnesota.

Yep, I remember doing that, and I remember watching from the bushes to see people's reactions.... aaaaahhhhhhh, the memories.....

My niece and nephew still do it, so it's not totally lost....

:) you all made my day! What good memories! I was raised in Grand Rapids, Minn, I don't know if they still do it or not. They don't do it here in PA

:) you all made my day! What good memories! I was raised in Grand Rapids, Minn, I don't know if they still do it or not. They don't do it here in PA

Now the kids just probably TEXT MSG each other! LOL

That would be true, but all my Mayday baskets were delivered to the older (or rather, elderly) people in the neighborhood, not other kids...

My brother and I were just talking about this last night. We have never met anyone else who did this. We would run after we rang the doorbell and the recipients would chase us. If you were caught tickling was the 'torture of choice. I remember hiding by the door waiting for our friends to show up so we could chase them. Wow, what memories.

Lynne - where were you raised? We did the same thing, ring the doorbell or knock and run. LOL Geesh I have such happy memories. And its so funny that you were just talking about it last night!

I grew up in a small town in Iowa. About 25 miles west of the Iowa, Ill., and Wisc. border

My brother and I were wondering if anyone else celebrated that way or if it was just our small town. Most people just look at us like we're nuts when we try to explain it to them. we used to spend a good part of the day coloring and decorating the containers that we put the candy in.

My friends and I would deliver them to whoever we were "crushing on" at the time, ring the bell and run. Oh, the fun times....