Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not sure if this is for me...

I'm not really sure if this surgery is for me. I'm currently 216 pounds and steadily gaining. I quit smoking Jan 1st 2007 and just recently lost my dad. So it doesn't appear that I'll be motivated to diet anytime soon. Not only that but when I do diet I have trouble keeping the weight that I do lose off. I feel like I just need someone to shove me into the deep end so I'm forced to swim. So to my question, I'm barely 100 pounds over weight but have medical concerns. I love food. I mean LOVE food!!!! I don't know that I could stay away. I'm very confused and I don't want to risk smoking again. Does anyone out there understand? Would you go through with the surgery? I just read that you can't have coffee or soda. I think I would DIE!! Is it not as bad as it sounds? Should I just try mental help first maybe? I mean I REALLY love food. Can you still eat a good meal every now and then? :faint:

Are you wanting insurance to cover you, or will you be self pay?

I just read that you can't have coffee or soda. I think I would DIE!!
I've not heard that you can never have coffee or soda. Coffee isn't on my list of nos, I just don't care for it. They advise against soda, no problem, gave it up without a second thought. And for every surgeon I hear of that says "no", I hear of another that says "yes" (in moderation).
Is it not as bad as it sounds?
I don't know, how bad does it sound? Is it just the "no coffee no soda" that makes it sound so bad to you?
Should I just try mental help first maybe? I mean I REALLY love food.
Mental health is part of a good band program. But you know the answer to this better than we can. Only you know the grip and power that food has on you, and whether or not you're able to break you rbehaviors or find other outlets for your emotions. Do YOU think this is what you need to lose weight? Do YOU think dieting will work? Do YOU think that seeking a therapist will help you overcome your issues with food for good?
Can you still eat a good meal every now and then? faint.gif
Every meal I eat is a good meal. I don't eat enough to eat bad food. When you're only eating the amount we eat, you tend to demand that it be good quality. I eat much much higher quality foods now than I did pre-band.

Wheetsin summed it up perfectly. As far as not needing to lose 100 lbs, that's ok. There are many people here that were banded and they do not need to lose the 100. I am going for 80 lbs, but I'll see what I look like when I get there. My main reasons for getting the band was to deter potential chronic health problems. Next, I just wanted to be able to look at myself in mirror and say that I look good. I mean, I do that now..lol..but I want to look damned good.

If you're ready, it will happen. If you're ready, you can do it, even if you have to give up a couple of things. Only you can decide if and when you're ready.

The first month is going to be the hardest and I'm only on week 1.

Would I do it over???????

On day 1 - my thoughts were no way

on day 2 - my thoughts were what the heck did I do to myself

on day 3 - I weighed myself and was down 7 pounds and thought - this could be good.

on day 4 - I was doing well

on day 5 - I missed food and ate some cottage cheese when I was only supposed to still be on Clear liquids

also on day 5 - I was in pain

on day 6 - still missing food and being dumb ate

also on day 6 - I was in pain

today is day 7 - I'm back on the clear liquid wagon and ready to stick with this

You're going to miss food for a month. But that's going to be your biggest loss of weight. I've already learned that you feel full after barely eating anything and satisfied. Once you start realizing how much of your everyday life is "mind hunger" you'll be able to use that knowlegde and the lap band as TOOLS to loose weight.

Hind site is 20/20, but if I knew on 4/24 what I know now as of 5/1. I honestly can't say whether I'd do it again or not. MY hopes and prayers are to keep the weight off once I get it off. If I keep it off, this band will have answered all of my dreams.

I TOTALLY understand what your going through! :nervous I am actually going to go to my first informational meeting tonight and was reading up on here for some good support and so glad I read your message! (Funny how that works!)

I am probably just under 100 lbs overweight too. All my life weight has been a struggle, a real struggle! I had NEVER thought about doing something like this before because I always thought it just took some will power. I heard it all, "Eat Less and Move More" is what my mom always told me. Yeah, its not always that simple!

But, I have come to the conclusion that I need more than just will power, I think I need some professional help (and believe me, I have tried the other options for professional help like Weight Watches and Curves, etc). So, I am going to check out this meeting and see what this place can do to help me.

You mentioned your father passing away and maybe needing metal help as well. I have also struggled with having mental illness most of my life and the best thing I ever did was get professional help! There is no need to live my life with the constant ups and downs of being mentally ill! And there should be no shame in asking for that kind of help. Society puts a very negitive spin on mental disorders, but if someone has a heart problem and needs to take medicine to live, why is that any different than me taking a pill to help my brain create the right chemicals. So, thats how I am looking at this surgery. I just need to accept that I need the help and do whatever it takes to get it.

I am so scared!:phanvan :phanvan :phanvan :phanvan But, I am going to take it one step at a time! I owe it to myself! I am only 26 years old and I have a lot of life to live and I DONT want to be fat anymore!

I am sorry if I rambled on... Like I said, I am nervous as heck!:faint: