Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just got a call for my consult!!!!!

Hello all. I have been reading and reading and posted a few messages on here. For those who have not read those I will tell you a little about myself.

I am a 34 year old mother of 2 teenagers. I was married almost 1 year ago (Wednesday is our 1st anniversary). I have struggled with my weight all of my adult life. After I had my first baby I could not get the weight off. Was still struggling and the second one came along.

I tried EVERYTHING!!!! Went to my family doctor back in 99-01 and I was on phen phen. Worked GREAT!! Lost lots of weight, felt wonderful about myself, promised myself I would not ever be as big as I had been. Guess what, I kept that promise to myself because I am not 64 lbs heavier than I was when I started dieting and lost so much. I have set TERRIBLE eating habits for my children and unfortunately, my daughter is also experiencing obese. She is almost 16.

Her insurance will not cover the procedure until she is 18 so right now we are doing supervised diets with our doctor and the whole hoopla. Obesity runs in my family (my mother, her mother, her mother and etc.) so I am not sure how things will go. We are all being very positive.

She was the one person that I wanted to tell about me trying to get the lap band but also the least person I wanted to tell. I felt as though I would be 'abandoning' her. Being the wonderful person she is, she is supporting me.

So enough of that. I have been very proactive (that is my nature) through this whole thing. I researched and researched everything I could for a few months now. Read Dr. Ortiz's book and a couple of others and approached the family doc. He was amazed at all the literature I brought with me and the place that I had found (only 40 miles away), I had called my insurance and knew my coverage, had already called the surgeons office and talked with the coordinator so what I needed was for him to say 'Jackie I stand behind you and will write a letter of recommendation.' He not only did that, he asked for the literature that I had about the surgeon I had found (I had printed all his credentials and etc) and thanked me because he knew nothing about this place so close to home. He has sent other people 180 miles away. Amazing huh?

Anyway, I asked him to schedule me a sleep study because the surgeons office already told me I would need that done and that is set for May 10. Attended me seminar last Tuesday night and the surgeons office called today and scheduled a consultation in 3 days. I am so happy.

I know I know I know, I have a long way to go yet but I am happy that the ball is definately rolling at this point. Just had to share this news with someone.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Hi Jacki,

Congratulations! I wish you much success during your journey to shedding some weight. I know I read a couple of posts where there were a few 15 yr old that had the surgery done in Mexico. Maybe if you do a search, you'll find it.

I do think that you are doing a wonderful job in helping your daughter with her weight loss.

Thanks so much. It helps tremendously to have some support. She is going t o be involved in every aspect of this whole thing with me. In the end the only thing I will have that she does not is the lap band. She attended the siminar and will be attending all appointment with me.

I have read about the 15 year olds also it just worries me. I quess I keep thinking 'I am the mom, I need to try this out before I have my child go through it.' kinda thing. She will be making her own choices when she is 18. She will get to see first hand the things that I have to go through and DO before and with the band so that is a plus because she will be making a first hand knowledge decision.