Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone else have issues coming out of recovery?

I am more than three weeks out and I will say that I have had a rough time altogether.

My surgery was on July 16th and I was the least bit nervous going in until the very last second when my fiance was kissing me goodbye as they were wheeling me out.

In that second I worried it would be the last time I ever saw him. I guess right after that I went under. His face was the first one I saw. I have no idea how long I was in recovery and I do not recall being in the recovery room or seeing any nurses or doctors or anyone.

I could not breathe and it felt like I was having a heart attack. I couldn't talk at all and I was so afraid. I was motioning to the nurse but she could not understand me. My fiance could. He was reading my lips and he told them I couldn't breathe and was having chest pains.

All of a sudden a rush of people came in the room, they unhooked the top of my gown and started hooking me up to everything and a respiratory guy came in and tried to draw blood from my left wrist and was unsuccessful so he went to the right.

It was a very rough hospital stay. I finally went home and my pain was tremendous. At ten days something got stuck in my throat and I vomited all day long and I was admitted for three days.

Five days later some of my medicine got stuck in my throat or chest and once again I was vomiting all day and admitted to the hospital for four days.

At that point, when I was discharged, I was on day 20 s/p my surgery. Ten days spent in the hospital and ten days at home.

Finally my pain is almost gone, I have a twinge here and there but that's about it. I saw my surgeon yesterday and I just broke down. I told him if I could turn back the clock I would never have the surgery. My Hiatal Hernia surgery was necessary, but the RNY was not.

I am still on liquids at this point..but hardly in. Everything makes me nauseous and has since my second discharge from the hospital. I am not getting in the fluids or Protein that I should. At this point he is most concerned with me getting the fluids in.

I will see him again next Thursday and I asked him about when I could go to mushy. In the hospital he told me ten days, which would be next Thursday. He looked at me and told me to come see him. So that means don't eat, just come see me and we will see.

I feel like I am at my wits end and I wish I could undo my surgery, but I know I can't. He told me I am not the first patient to feel this way and later on down the line I will feel different.

Right now I am just not so sure about that. My weight loss is pretty good. I have gained 20 lbs in Fluid between all three hospital stays and I have lost it and then some.

I went in at 239 and left at 251. I dropped that fluid weight in five days I guess. I don't remember how long it took me to lose the next 5 of fluid out of the hospital, but this last time I got out of the hospital on Tuesday. I went in at 227 and came out 232. Today, 3 days later I am at 226.

The weight going in (239) to now (226) shows a 13 lb difference in over 3 weeks, but I also lost the 20 lbs of fluid.

At this point I hardly care about the weight loss, I just want to be well. I am not able to go back on my RA meds yet due to the complications and I worry every day that my Epilepsy meds are going to get stuck in my throat again landing me back in the hospital.

Ugh. Pik out.

Pik, I have faith that you will get better soon. This is just a brief rough period of time in your journey with this. I will pray that next year , or sooner! , you won't regret this decision.

My husband was feeling the same way, still probably is a little but he is finally getting better. It just takes time :-) hugs

I hope it is much sooner than next year, but thank you very much!!!

It has been a rough way to go.

I have no idea how you and your husband did this on the same day!!!

Fortunately I have not had any problems and bounce back from surgeries fairly quickly. Had both of us had complications it would have been very difficult. All in all this experience didn't go as we planned but I can't wait until the 25th when I can make real meals for us and our 3 kids and eat at the dinner table using real plates and utensils rather than eating out of one oz medicine cups.

I'm so glad you have your fiance there by your side. He sounds like a keeper! :-)

Fortunately I have not had any problems and bounce back from surgeries fairly quickly. Had both of us had complications it would have been very difficult. All in all this experience didn't go as we planned but I can't wait until the 25th when I can make real meals for us and our 3 kids and eat at the dinner table using real plates and utensils rather than eating out of one oz medicine cups.

I'm so glad you have your fiance there by your side. He sounds like a keeper! :-)

He certainly is a keeper!!!!