Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What should I weigh???

Hi all,

I have been really thinking about being heavy and tall most of my life and going to be banded May 21st. I have seen alot of weight loss tickers that show what your main goal weight is, and I have been wondering about how do you know what your real weight should be?

I am 6'1, and weigh 367, down from 375 since starting the pre-op diet a couple weeks ago. I am big boned and cannot see myself in any way (Thin). Thin to me sounds anorexic. Now Slim-n-Trim sounds better and healthier. How do you know what you really should weigh? And being realistic about it.

Thanks for any replies. :rolleyes:

Judy

Hi Judy, I am just shy of 6 ft. My start weight was 280, I am now 207. I look good around 200. Height is a wonderful thing.

But according to my BMI, to be in the average weight zone, I should weigh 175. I will by happy with anything below 190.

The 175 number came from googling "BMI calculator".

Good luck with your weightloss.

Hi Judy!

I thought the same thing, that I would look way too thin at my medically ideal weight. So I set my goal at the upper end of a healthy BMI for me. I got there, and while I looked ok, I was still a little chubby looking.

Although I did not plan on losing more after that, I ended up losing a further 10kg / 22lbs, and am now at a BMI of 19, and look pretty darn good. Not too thin at all.

I think it was that I was just unable to see myself as anything other than obese.

Good luck!

I let my trusted MD (love Al) decide what was right for me. He said at 5'3" and large frame he was comfortable with me weighing anywhere between 140 to 160. See why I love him?

Remember this is for ME ONLY.

edie

I dunno what I should weigh, not really. But when I was picking out my goal weight I didn't use the BMI chart. Thats because the BMI chart doesn't distinguish between frame sizes. I'm not a small woman. And I also have a large frame. When, like me, you have man sized apendages (hands, feet), you tend to wary of what the *average* woman is supposed to weigh, I think. So I looked up some older insurance tables that did take frame size into account. I also thought about how realistic I felt my goal was, how difficult I wanted my goal weight to be to maintain, that sort of thing. I decided that if I went below 150 I would probably look too thing. And I also decided that I would rather weight 20 pounds over my "ideal" weight and maintain that weight than have a weight 20 pounds lighter but always be yo yoing between that and a higher weight. THe next thing I am going to do is ask my doctor about his idea of a goal weight for me. Just for his opinion though. And I reserve the right to change my goal at any time and for any reason.

Wow! Thanks everyone for your replies. That's gonna be a challenge for me to realize I guess. Right now, I think I should weigh around 195, but between that and 210 would be good too.

Good luck to all to reach your goal weight if you haven't already. Way to gooooo Edie!!! You look mauvelous!

Peace,

Judy

I think this issue is more about not being able to imagine yourself "normal". Being a healthy BMI will not be too thin, you just cant imagine it. I think to shoot for the top of your healthy weight range and then tweak it from there is the way to go.

When you get there, it depends on body shape, how much muscle you have etc whether you need to go lower or not. Personally, I'm five ft 10 but I need to be low in my healthy weight range not to have plenty to grab.

I think this issue is more about not being able to imagine yourself "normal". Being a healthy BMI will not be too thin, you just cant imagine it. I think to shoot for the top of your healthy weight range and then tweak it from there is the way to go.

When you get there, it depends on body shape, how much muscle you have etc whether you need to go lower or not. Personally, I'm five ft 10 but I need to be low in my healthy weight range not to have plenty to grab.

I said pretty much the same thing... But somehow, when you say it it sounds so much better! :hail:

Sometimes I wish I were better with the written word.