Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Personal Trainer

I am currently looking for a personal trainer. I read a post from someone who choose not to tell their trainer they had WLS. While, others do not mention if they told or not. So did you tell? Why or why not? Is there or should there be a difference in how the trainer handles the workout?

difference in how the trainer handles the workout?

@@Kissifur

hmmmmm

i had a trainer for awhile

i told her i had WLS :)

she was "happy" for me :)

i'm sure there was no difference in my regiment :)

(don't know why there would be :wacko: )

kathy

good luck

Why would you not tell the trainer? For the trainer to be effective he/she would need to know any and all restrictions with your physical and dietary issues. Getting enough Protein, carbs and Water could effect what type of exercise would be most effective for you personally?

And if you're researching who would be best to fit the job, wouldn't a trainer who was familiar with bariatric patients move to the top of the list? You don't need a trainer who is going to disparage you or your choice to have surgery. jmo

tmf

Thank you for the response. I have no problem telling . I hadn't given it much thought until I saw that someone didn't tell and it made me curious because most people who post about having a trainer don't mention it at all. So I'm hoping someone who is working with a trainer can shed light on it for me.

I told mine in response to his question about what supplements I am taking. It didn't really change anything.

@@Kissifur

hmmmmm

i had a trainer for awhile

i told her i had WLS :)

she was "happy" for me :)

i'm sure there was no difference in my regiment :)

(don't know why there would be :wacko: )

kathy

good luck

Because WL patients lose weight at a much faster pace than someone who has not had WLS. I was interested in knowing if that played a part in how often or how hard others worked with their trainer.

Edited by Kissifur

I told my trainer before I had surgery (was working out then) and her first reaction was "No! Do it through exercise and diet!" I told her the surgeon and my doctor agreed this was my best chance for successful weight loss. After that, she acted excited for me about the surgery and worked my butt off leading up to it.

When I was cleared to go back after 4 weeks, she wanted to hear all about what I could eat and if I had any restrictions, etc. She also told me to let her know if anything felt like it could be hurting my stomach or abdomen. She is so excited about my weight loss and now acts like a partner in my success.

I don't understand why you wouldn't tell someone who you're partnering with to improve your health. However, I don't think it changes their plan for you... unless you're very close out from surgery maybe.

I told my trainer before I had surgery (was working out then) and her first reaction was "No! Do it through exercise and diet!" I told her the surgeon and my doctor agreed this was my best chance for successful weight loss. After that, she acted excited for me about the surgery and worked my butt off leading up to it.

When I was cleared to go back after 4 weeks, she wanted to hear all about what I could eat and if I had any restrictions, etc. She also told me to let her know if anything felt like it could be hurting my stomach or abdomen. She is so excited about my weight loss and now acts like a partner in my success.

I don't understand why you wouldn't tell someone who you're partnering with to improve your health. However, I don't think it changes their plan for you... unless you're very close out from surgery maybe.

Thank you.

A good trainer is there to support and help you, not to judge you.

So for me, I not only told my trainer that I had WLS but I gave them a quick bio about myself. This is someone new who does not know you. They may not know for instance in my situation that I broke my foot 6 years ago and certain impact jumps cause it to hurt. So they modify they impact on those types of things so I don't have bone pain in my foot. I have some instability in my knee so we work on exercises to help strength that weakness and build it up.

I gave them some background as to my nutrition and intake, as well as what my goals for "fitness" and strength training are and what I hope to achieve by seeking their services. I explained about my WLS tool, and even gave a brief blurb of "education" on what a WLS tool is, and how it's used not as a crutch or a miracle cure but as a way to help me reach my overall health and fitness level.

I have one trainer who also does nutrition and as I am studying this myself I shared with her what a few of my daily meal plans were and my intake and we share some info on nutrition that has helped me in my studies.

They are there to help you and the more information they have about you and what you want to achieve the more they are able to understand and help you to reach the goals you set for yourself. I have found that people in these jobs really want to see their clients reach their goals and they will really take an active role in helping you to achieve them.

I meet with a trainer tomorrow. She has worked with "obese" people before which was important for me. Thank you to everyone for responding. Now wish me luck.

Yes told my trainer though I don't tell everyone.

Basically I do a need to know basis. But trainers at my gym take continuing education and learn about bariatric surgery, working with people who are obese or have asthma etc. so it is good for them to know.