Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Great (and even medicore) accessorizers - need your input

I have 3 weddings to attend in the next 6 weeks. Fortunately they're all for unrelated people so I can get away with the same dress! Score!

So anyway. I can post a pic later, but description will have to do for now. The fabric is kind of champagne in color. Flowy. Very matte. I have no idea what the fabric is, but it hangs smooth and has some swing to it. The top is a sleeveless (but with thick "straps") cross top, and the fabric is kind of gathered making "pleats". The cross is sort of plungy so there's more than normal chest showing, but it's still classy. There are tiny champagney-gold beads that give it a sort shimmer - it doesn't really look beaded. It has an empire waist, also gathered (horizontally, not vertically like the cross top), with a few more of the beads. The skirt is the same fabric, minus the beads, and nothing fancy - just straight fabric. There's also a silky champagne layer underneath, like a slip. If you go to this site and hover over the "5", it's very similar in shape (NOT fabric) to the bottom right dress - the one that's brown/peach flowered. (BTW, I also bought the one on the top left - the cream and black flowered print - it's cute!!)

I tried to find a pair of gold strappy heels, but no luck. So I went with a dyeable strappy heels that are being dyed to match the champagne color. No frills or decorations on the shoes at all, they're very simple.

So I have some "fashion consultants" at work who are telling me to go over the top with the jewelry. Stick with either gold, pearls, or come combination of the two. But go with big drop pearl earrings (and an up-do - kind og a given on that one) and a tiered necklace, or oversized gold hoops with a gold/cubic necklace. A few small gold bangles with a pearl and/or cubic Bracelet. Etc. I'm *very* understated when it comes to jewelry. I get by on diamond studs, plain gold hoops, and my rings (all 2 of them). I RARELY do a bracelet, virtually never wear necklaces. So I can pick complimentary styles, but don't know the first thing about the quantity.

Does the dress sound like it needs "overboard" accessories? Keep in mind these are slightly younger girls in their 20s. And I don't want to look like I'm trying to bring "hoochy" back in style!

I don't think it does. Remember, a wedding is about the bride, not the guests. I would go for attractive but understated. I think a pretty gold neckace and earrings would do well, as long as they are not over the top.

You know what you're comfortable in, go with that. Even if you don't have a necklace to go with it, go with understated and classy. Diamond stud earrings will do very nicely, in my opinion. A simple gold box chain with a simple gold pendant (cz works) or a simple gold herringbone chain....You get the idea...

The rule is this: if the dress is extremely simple then you can go heavy on the jewellery provided the colour of the dress will show the jewellery off to advantage. (When the dress is black or white this is a no-brainer.) The more complex the garment, the less jewellery you should wear. Your dress sounds fairly complex in structure (I haven't visited the site yet) so I am inclined to advise you to go light on the jewellery. Wear either a Bracelet or a necklace but not both; I figure a good bracelet or even a bunch of them is probably better because your dress already has a lot going on.:rolleyes: This also means that you cannot wear big earrings, you know.:rolleyes

As for my credentials for being this bossy, well, I used to live in France and I have a lot of gay friends.:heh:

I should clarify smtg, because I think my post came across differently than I meant for it to. I'm not worried about looking perfect or stealing the show. I'm more worried about not looking ridiculous and making a very conscious effort to avoid being "over the top" or the unintentional center of attention because I'm overdressed or too "blingy". I'm normally very confident in most things I do, very independent, but I've been asking opinions left and right for this.

The last wedding I went to was mine, 10 years ago. I went to some before that, but I was either thin and it came easy, or a thin bridesmaid and told what to wear. I always avoided weddings when I gained the weight (and crowds of all sorts).

So I guess this is more of a "keep it in check" post. Keep me from being ridiculous and unintentionally making it seem as though I'm trying to steal the attention, because the spotlight is my worst nightmare.

With that said, here are some pics. I stopped by DSW on the way home to get some sandals, and saw some really cute shoes. I'm an addict, what can I say. So the ones pictures are the new ones, not what's described above.

he dress w/ flash, the dress in natural light (shows the lay of the fabric better), the shoes.

post-205294-13813134937435_thumb.jpg

post-205294-13813134937718_thumb.jpg

post-205294-13813134937945_thumb.jpg

There's plenty of sparkle around the neckline, so I wouldn't bother with a necklace. A couple of pretty bracelets and a nice pair of earrings should do the trick nicely.

It's a gorgeous dress!!!

I would go sans necklace but do some dangling earrings. The reason is that I wouldn't want to take anything away from the gorgeous neckline of the dress as it really stands on its own.

I would also add some kind of hair accessory. The last wedding I went to I wore rhinestones in my hair. But I'm really wild about hair accessories.

I think either earrings and a Bracelet or earrings and a hair thingy would be perfect.

I like over-the-top jewelry....what can I say? Especially large, dangle earrings which, by the way, take 5-10 pounds off your face.

I wouldn't do pearls with a beaded dress, though. Pearls are more sedate.

Is this an evening wedding, or afternoon? If it's evening, you can wear lots of bling. If it's afternoon, not so much.

My friends' son got married on New Year's Eve night. It was great. Everyone, including the mothers, wore their glitzy party dresses, even though it was a traditional Catholic wedding. Her colors were white, gold, black, and silver.

The dress is gorgeous. I'd go with no necklace, yes to some earrings... if you go dangled, make them not flashy..flashy ones will draw attention to the ears and hey, that dress deserves it more!! Your gold hoops sound good to me. I'd wear a Bracelet only if it didn't bug me.

Those shoes are gorgeous, too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the opinions!

Is this an evening wedding, or afternoon?
All three are evening weddings. The first is an early evening wedding. We're slated to be seated at 5. It will be a longer ceremony. I don't know all the details, but the groom is military and the military does it's own to-do for weddings... I guess.

The dress seems to have enough fancy sparkle at the top, I would go very modest with jewelry. Love those shoes btw!!

That's a very pretty dress and the shoes are a wonderful choice! I think you should certainly avoid too much bling. The cut of this dress will suit a woman who has curves. A flat-chested woman would not look good in it.

Because the dress itself is visually quite complex and your shoes have some visual delicacy and detail, and yet at the same time your ensemble is in a subtle, barely-there colour, I would be inclined to say that pearls would look the best with this outfit and that you could in fact wear a pearl necklace - as long as it didn't interfere with the neckline of the dress! - and pearl earrings. If you chose this approach you would have to avoid wearing a Bracelet.

The reason that I suggest pearls is that pearls are also delicate in colour and thus will enhance the charm of your outfit and, too, their sheen will contrast nicely (instead of fighting for elbow room) with the diamente work on the bodice of the dress.

I dont think it needs a lot of jewellery but then I'm not a beady/jewellery type person. I dont like neck jewellery at all, I admire it on other people but every time I put something around my neck, I feel overdone. I'd probably wear some gold drop earrings and a thin gold Bracelet with that and be done.

I actually like to accessorise *myself* for these types of things . I love my long nails and I'd go for a beautiful coloured polish, matching toenails, I'd get my hair especially done and I'd spend weeks getting my skin into tip top condition and have a nice golden spray tan for that dress. If you feel all brown and silky and your hand look beautiful you always feel absolutely fantastic.