Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Water aerobics for non-swimmers

In my Quest to get more fit before surgery, I've been doing some things that are outside of my comfort zone. Last week, I finished a bellydancing series at the gym.

Now, I'm thinking about trying some of the Water aerobics, but the classes that are most convenient for me to get to are almost all at the deep end. I'm 300 pounds and can't swim.

I know they have those floaty waist things, but will they really hold someone my size out of the water? Has anyone else tried this that might have some suggestions or experiences to share?

#1 swimming is the best thing you can do. I had to relearn to swim. I swam lightly at 100 pounds overweight. 2 days before my 1 month check up I was cleared to swim. I had lost 27 pounds so my body position was completely off and I had to relearn how to swim.

I lost the 100 pounds in something like 4 months or so because I swam like a banshee. It is the most excellent body workout and it is not stressful on the joints. Actually learning how to swim is going to take more out of you than swimming itself. You are going to have bad position in the Water at first, fighting against the Water, so you'll actually do yourself a favor in burning off more calories and building up more muscle.

Yes, the noodles and the like will hold you up. Take 2 if you need it. The belts should also.

What are you calling the deep end? How many feet is it? I'm not a Water aerobics expert but I believe you should be able to push off the bottom of the pool during your workout. I've not heard of a class where they do it in more than 5 feet of Water.

Usually (not always) the more overweight you are the more buoyant you are. I'm 336 pounds and I think you'd have to use 3 people to hold me down if you wanted to drown me because I'd go straight to the top without trying. In fact, my buoyancy makes it hard for me to actually swim even though I know how to, so I end up doing 45 minutes of intense doggie paddling instead.

I have a buddy who will drown because he's nothing but skin and bone. Women are more buoyant due to "natural floatation" devices. Shall we say?

Swimming is a great skill to have. If ever you do find yourself in a Water situation it is a good skill to have.

Yes noodles/floatie things will keep you afloat. I've gotten these paddle things to help with my stroke. I swim terribly slowly. But I'm a big girl. That's to be expected.

If you have an LA Fitness by you, they offer Aqua Fit classes. The pool at my LA Fitness is no deeper than 4 feet in the middle. So maybe look at a gym with a lap pool.

Some facilities with heated pools have arthritis exercise classes. No swimming, just exercises in Water to reduce joint pain.

They do not go into the deep end. You don't have to know how to swim... but, you may find the average age is in the 70s for those programs.

LW

Edited by labwalker

Um, here is something you want to ask because all indoor pools are heated:

what are the temps of the Water? The rebuilt Olympic pool I was in for Zone Champs had 3 pools. That rebuilt Olympic one (and it was F A S T) which was regular temp for swimmers. The other warmup pool was about 7 degrees or so warmer than that. Maybe 10. Then they had a third pool for arthritis people and that puppy was like 100 or so.

NO ONE got in that pool. Even the warmup pool kicked our cans at maybe 85-90.

Thanks, all! The gym where I go has 3 pools - the one that these classes are held in is 92 degrees (I do my Water walking in the 82 degree main pool) and I'm not sure how deep. The class name is just "Aqua fusion Deep", lol.

Learning to swim and ride a bike are two things on my list. I've been considering skipping the aerobics and signing up for swimming lessons there instead, but it's a little spendy right now.

As, uh..."floaty" and well padded as I am, I should levitate ABOVE the water! :D

I am a Water aerobics veteran and was a very good swimmer when I was in better shape. I do deep Water exclusively now (used to do shallow and deep) due to a knee injury. Yes, non-swimmers can take deep water wirh the right equipment if you can overcome your fear of not being able to touch the bottom. I am one of the buoyant ones so I couldn't sink if I tried! I tried to show a friend of mine that she wouldn't sink but her panic always overtook her as soon as her feet left the bottom.

I echo rhe recommendation to take swimming lessons if you are uncomfotable in the water. Fear and panic are more dangerous than lack of skill. You will gain confidence and get some exercise at the same time.

I keep trying to go the bottom and it doesn't work. My problem is mental in that ... I'm a swimmer not a diver. There's just the automatic roll arms kick legs mindset that I can't seem to overcome. The lifeguards were quite amused.

Really swimming is the best sport. You get resistance training and aerobic training with no ripping up your joint.

Ok ... I did have a shoulder issue once but swam thru it. :)

Sticking my nose in here,

if you can't swim or never have, you can practice a few things. First of all getting your face in the Water. Holding your breath and breathing out under Water and then coming up for air.

Ya gotta get used to it. So you can hold off on lessons if you are willing to do some of the work first and then be ready to get in.

Learn to swim because Water exercise is better for you than anything. It was the only exercise I could do before WLS and hip replacement and now that I'm half my size and have two new hips, it's still the best exercise there is. I recommend it highly.

Took the first step and emailed the coordinator to get into an adult swimming class - I'm going to get some goggles this weekend (I'm blind as a bat without contacts)

YAY!

Same here. I swim in a UV pool so its not the same as a regular pool. I still use them. If you need the ear/nose plugs get them too.

Wait ... forget the nose plugs. Get a decent cap and get a proper fitting suit. Yes, they're meant to be worn tight for a reason. You'll be fine. Everyone has them for a reason. It can become a real pain in the butt otherwise.

Does anyone have a recommendation on goggles that don't fog up? Or an anti fog coating? Is this like the holy grail of swimming products? I have a set of speedo vanquisher 2.0 goggles and they are all cute and purple but the only time they did not fog up was the first time I used them.