Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about eating post-op

Hey guys! I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I was banded on 7/31/14. I was instructed to do 4-7 days Clear liquids, 2nd week full liquids, and 3rd week puréed foods, and so on.

However, I was probably stupid and listened to a friend of mine who has had her band for 5 years or so (lost 140 and looks amazing) and she told me to eat carefully but go ahead and not be afraid to eat until my fill. What I've actually done is kind of in between the two. I couldn't stand the Clear Liquids or shakes anymore, so I've been eating mostly puréed foods (baby food, sugar free pudding, low cal tuna salad, etc) and making sure to drink enough Water and get enough Protein.< /p>

Am I screwing up? I am tracking everything in myfitnesspal and am continuing to lose weight. I am scared of messing up my band or the pouch though. What are your thoughts on how I should proceed?

re: "Am I screwing up? I am tracking everything in myfitnesspal and am continuing to lose weight. I am scared of messing up my band or the pouch though. What are your thoughts on how I should proceed?"

perhaps not an ominous mistake....still.....why would you disobey your surgeon, who had to learn a lot of funny words in med school.

I won't lecture or scold.

I think you should do as your surgeon tells you.

One stuck episode at this juncture could cause the sutures holding your band in place to tear away. I agree, follow your surgeons advice. Every one is different and some people get away with cheating, but swelling can cause food to get stuck and make for some big problems.

You're probably OK but why take chances that could jeopardize your success?

Thanks guys, you're absolutely right. I'm definitely going to dial it back - I don't want to borrow trouble.

Thank you for taking the time to offer your advice. It is appreciated!

You're "friend" doesn't sound like a good friend at all. Sorry-not-sorry, but that's just how I feel.

Where did she get HER medical degree/license?

What qualifies HER to give you advice contrary to what your SURGEON ordered?

How many bands has SHE installed?

Where will SHE be if your band slips or your sutures rip?

A lot of us deviate from the rules at least once throughout our journey.... But doing so only seven day out is a sure guarantee that SOMETHING is gonna go wrong. Learn from this and NEVER take advice contrary to your surgeon's- I don't care how freaking "successful" they have been.

(Tell her I said that)

Edited by HotButterFly

HotButterFly, Stop sugar coating it, tell us how you really feel :o :rolleyes: ;)

Yeah - I appreciate the honesty, but there is no reason to be ugly. I acknowledged my own stupidity and that was the reason I was asking. I am trying to get back on track and do the right thing. Encouragement works better than bashing in my opinion. Thank you for your advice though. I do appreciate you taking the time to respond.

JLM, you think I was being "UGLY" and discouraging? You must read my post AGAIN. There's nothing ugly or discouraging about it.

HotButterFly, Stop sugar coating it, tell us how you really feel :o:rolleyes:;)

Imagine that!!

Edited by HotButterFly

Thanks guys, you're absolutely right. I'm definitely going to dial it back - I don't want to borrow trouble.

Thank you for taking the time to offer your advice. It is appreciated!

I have to say .... I'm glad you asked your questions. I was also banded on 7-30, and am SICK of the liquid diet. I feel like I'm ready for the mushy diet and a larger flavor profile. My doc said that I'm allowed to have puddings, yogurts, and things of similar textures .... but not baby food yet. That confuses me.

Hi JLM, congratulations on your surgery. I think most of us here are very sensitive about people giving advice that could be counter to some one's physician's instructions -- we all try to be very mindful of that. It's definitely confusing that protocols can differ so greatly for pre-op as well as post-op and for fills, but just stick with your plan and you will do very well. Also know that this will all be behind you soon -- the early days are not easy. The big buildup of the surgery is over and now there's this healing period. Just keep telling yourself how proud you are of this significant step in your future. I am so happy and excited to have my band. Here's to a healthy future!

I second what she just said.. Day by day it will get easier. I know that you are ready for the taste of real food. My post op instructions were like yours and I would read where people were allowed food so much sooner than I was. I thought what the heck? That's not fair! But after it was all said and done I am so glad that my Dr was as strict as he was. Your body needs to heal and a few short weeks is so worth the sacrifice for the reward that you will get. We all make mistakes. You will make more! The good thing is that you recognize it and are changing it! Congratulations on your surgery. Best of luck to you and God bless!!!

I was banded on July 28th and by my doctors orders I was to start regular food Monday 8/4. I am doing just fine. Chewing slowly and everything seems good. Now after reading your post and everyone else I am scared I am eating regular food too soon.

Idk..I can't say not to listen to your Dr. All I'm saying is what mine says.. My opinion is that its too soon but that's just my opinion. Listen to your body, if you have problems you can always go back to full liquids. I had to do that 3 days last week myself.

Well thank you for the advice. It worries me a little that he was ok with me starting foods so soon. I guess every surgeon is different with everything. I am thinking of trying just liquids on my own for a while and soft foods. I have not thrown up, but today I ate dinner and never felt full. I quit eating out of fear but it scared me that I didn't get the full feeling like normal. Advice on that would be appreciated.

Well I'm sorry to say that for most people it take a few to several fills before you start feeling that way.. For now just try to limit your intake. Sounds like you are doing well.