Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stressed and frustrated

I feel like most of my posts on this page are me being frustrated, but that's what I feel like this journey has been for me. I had my last supervised diet visit on May 22nd and still don't have a surgery date. I have completed all the testing and got my insurance approval, but my surgeons office still hasn't scheduled a date and seems to be in no rush to do so. I have faxed them my approval letter twice, and nothing. To top it all off I have gained 10 lbs since my last diet visit and am stressing that my surgeon won't do the surgery because of it.

I feel like I need to be talked down and I'm driving my husband and coworker (who is also having the surgery) nuts with all my stress. I think I will burst into tears of relief once I wake up from surgery.

Thanks for reading and for any words of encouragement :) :)

I don't have any solutions for you. But I feel your pain.

I attended my intro lecture in July 2013. It took me a while to decide I wanted to go this route, but I had all my paperwork from my doctor submitted by mid-November 2013.

And then the Hurry Up and Wait portion of the program begin.

In my situation, most of the wait was because my nearest COE bariatric center was just slammed with patient applicants.

Once I got into the "fast lane" (about four months ago), things went better, but even then it hasn't been fast. Before that, however, I felt I was swimming in molasses.

I honestly think that the rapidly escalating popularity of the VSG is what's slowing down a lot of bariatric centers' service delivery. Prior to a year ago, the sleeve was considered a bit experimental, but was then anointed by the medical powers that be as "proven."

At the same time, some patients' problems with the band were widely covered in the news, and its popularity has waned (my surgeon almost refuses to do bands anymore). As we're seeing on this forum, there's great interest in conversions from bands to sleeves.

That's to say I think this is just a "pinch point" in the history of WLS.

None of which helps your situation at all. I'm just saying I doubt your center is trying to ignore you personally.

No matter what's involved, it's too bad you're having to wait so long. It is not fun.

Thank you, it's nice to get some perspective.

Beth, de nada.

I've been scheduled for surgery finally -- in a few weeks.

A lot of my anxiety has abated. Just having it on the calendar has been soothing. I know you know what I mean.

Your time will come soon, I betcha. :)

Boy do I feel what you're going through. I worked toward weight loss surgery for years and got stopped at every turn. At one job in month 5 of my 6 month diet we changed insurance companies and weight loss surgery was no longer covered. I turned back to trying it on my own.

I switched jobs and had to wait 6 months to get insurance. At month six I started again toward surgery and while I was waiting for approval (after 6 month diet) they closed the location where I worked and I was downsized. Lost my job and my insurance.

But wait, it happened again! Another downsizing occurred at my NEXT job and I lost my insurance again. I was so beat down and had given up hope. I really figured I'd die much too young and much too fat.

I finally had surgery this June and although I wish I'd had it years ago, it's worth the wait. It will be for you too. You'll get there one step at a time. It worries me that your surgeon is so unresponsive now because what will they be later after they've been paid? Are there any other doctors in the area you could talk to?

Hang in there and vent here as much as you need to.

Holy cow une, kudos to you for sticking with it, that's a lot to have to go through.

I know once I get the date it will feel tons better, I just get myself going down a path of negative thoughts and have a hard time turning off it sometimes.