Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When Did Most People Reach The Green Zone?

My 10 cc band is currently filled with 5 cc's. I have had 3 fills and I am still not in the green zone...or even getting near it. I was banned on 3/10/14. I realize everyone is different but I am curious of how long it took some of you guys to reach the green zone? And how many cc's were you at when you reached it? And how many fills you had before reaching it?

I have a 14 cc band. It took a few fills to get me to where I was able to see some weight loss. I think it was it third fill that was the charm... banded in Dec., and the fill that turned the tide was in May. The green zone is a moving target for me, I notice as I lose weight the band occasionally needs a tweak to hold me in the green zone. I'm thinking the internal body fat decreases around our organs, and some of that fat may between the band and stomach wall? Not too sure if that is exactly what goes on when we lose fat, but something changes. I've hit plateaus, and when they last for a few months I start thinking about another fill, providing I am not having problems with reflux, stuck episodes or slimeing.

Sometimes a 1 cc fill will get you into the green zone if you are close. Once you reach the green zone subsequent fills are usually smaller.

But, everyone is different... the band does need maintenance and follow up visits and it can take time to heal, and then to find the right amount of fill. I think I am at 9 cc right now, but I forgot the exact amount.

Edited by labwalker

Thanks it helps to know I'm not alone. So you were banned in Dec and didn't reach your green zone until May? Maybe I just need to give it more time. Next month will be 6 months for me. I go for my next follow up 8/27 and I should get my 4th fill. Thanks again.

I asked my surgeon why one could be in the green zone and then not. He said that basically the stomach just becomes more efficient and shrinks some as it becomes so requiring the band to be adjusted. Kind of like tightening your belt after you've been working out for a few weeks.

As for how long it takes one to get in the green zone, as you can imagine, it varies and depends on a lot of things. Like, how tight your band was when installed, how much you have to lose and how much you lose, how aggressive your fills are, size of band. etc. It takes some people 3 fills, some 6 or 7. Each fill will get you closer. I had not had a fill since December. I tend to keep my band on the loose side anyway, so I guess you could say I was barely green. I started noticing that I was constantly thinking about the next meal or even a snack, I think I had slipped into the yellow. I went to see my surgeon and he gave me .25 cc and moved me back into the green. I could have probably held more. As said I'm barely green, but right where I want to be.

Banded 11/28/11, 3rd fill(3/26/12) gave me some satiety but it took a total of 6(6/25/12) to reach the green zone. I've never tracked how many CCs are in my band.

So different for everyone..I went for my six week follow up and didn't get a fill..I get full very easily and drink well..Surgeon said weight loss was fantastic and that I had no need of a fill. My band has no saline. I guess its placement is really tight but he said that could change..I could need a fill in a few weeks. So you really can't compare yourself, it will all come together and work just fine. Best of luck to you.

I've had two fills and thought I might be at the green zone, but the last two weeks have had slow to no weight loss and a higher appetite, eating more. Going for a fill today. Hoping it's the right decision. I don't want to be too tight to swallow Tylenol caplets.

It has taken me really over a year to find my "green zone". My doc is conservative with the fill process and that was a good thing for me since I was able to really work on my band mechanics. Eating small bites, measuring out food, eating when I am truly hungry and not just cause I can.

Just as I found that sweet spot that stopped all the hunger and cravings and volume eating just cause I can...I got sick and had take Fluid out. Then a few months of "stress" I decided it was best to be a little looser and get through all the challenges. Now I am back at that "green zone" but it is 15 months since I was banded.

The time it takes is the time it takes. We are all different, some never need a fill and they are in that green zone from day one. The best advice is to follow your doc and listen to your body. You'll get there when ya get there.

As time progresses you will learn the signals that your band is sending to you. The signals are subtle. But if you suspect the band needs a tad more fill, your instincts might be right. Slowing weight loss, being able to eat more, and being able to eat faster... tolerating foods that you couldn't tolerate before losing more weight, are all signals that a follow up visit might be needed to keep on track. Learning to live with a band takes a bit of time. It is a skill acquired with time and experience.

I am so glad I found this post!!! It was the very question I wanted to ask. I have a 10cc band and I am at 6.5cc's right now. I am still struggling a little. I am not losing as I was in the beginning but I do know that it's because of my hunger. I am glad to know that this will get better. I was banded April 30, 2014 and I started at 316lbs and I am now 273.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Shaye

MsShayeB that is amazing. I was banned on 3/10 and started at 290 and now at 265. I am really struggling. I am still able to eat any and everything without any restriction at all. It's almost as if I never got the band. I'm really frustrated but am trying to soak on all the advise given. I only have 5 cc's so far so maybe I will hit my green zone soon.

Yes you will Shauny and I am glad I found this forum so that we can keep each other encouraged. We have come too far to let go!!! So keep it moving sister!!!! We got this!!!!

Wow, you guys are doing great! I recently went for another fill because I was getting "diet-y" -- feeling like I was obsessing over food in the old way. I was a restrictor (with the inevitable bounce-backs if course) so part of the band process for me has been to let go of that mentality. I am not on a diet. If I find myself looking for food and not able to last 4-5 hours on a small portion, I know something is up. But that's just me. I think most of us who have achieved the green zone look back and appreciate the time it took after all to get there because of the self-awareness that had to take place. Just know you're doing beautifully. It will take time but from another perspective it's the blink of an eye. I was gaining steadily at ten pounds a year so losing sixty or so in eight months -- oh my god. But some days it feels so slow. We are impatient creatures.

MsShayeB yes we will. We have to remember that this is a process. We will get there. Keep me posted and I will do the same. Good luck!!!

Thanks for the advice Bandista...how long was it until you felt like you hit the green zone? I know everyone is different but it's been interesting to see how long it took other banders. It seems like everyone kinda hit their stride at about the 6 month mark. And it seems like around 5-6.5 cc's for most people. Some are much luckier than others. Lol.