Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Supplements: GNC 54 gm Powder

Has anyone tried one of the flavored Protein powders that GNC has? It's got 54 grams of protein per scoop. I can't recall the name of it. I figure I could get the biggest bang for my buck - and I could make just 1 Protein Shake a day and the rest of the protein could come from my diet. (My nutritionist recommended 60 grams of protein per day.)

Thanks for your input - this site has been an incredible way to see how others are doing with their bands.

I will be banded on May 23rd.

Peace! Rachel

Let me just share my experience with 'powders'. I stocked up with a few different brands, from 'unflavored'(which isn't true!!) to vanillla, chocolate, the matrix brand of cookies&cream and orange cream.. They were all horrible to me. I did try the IDS New Whey Protein test tubes, and now I will swear by them. If I had not found them I wouldn't have been able to get the adequate protein I need! So if you end up not liking the shakes, I would strongly recommend the tubes. 1 test tube (3 oz) is 42g of protein.. it's NOT the best taste in the world, but I can drink 1/2 tube in 2 gulps and I chase it with Water. So I don't have to make a big to-do about drinking a full shake and worrying about how much protein I was able to get down before giving up on it. On the other hand, maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones who finds a shake you love! I know a lot of people like the Matrix brand.

Hey Laura,

Where can I get the IDS test tubes. Like you, I HATE the powdered shakes. I've tried adding fruit, soy milk, yogurt, Peanut Butter, SF Hershey Syrup, and still could not stand the grittiness. YUCK!!! I do drink Atkins shakes in vanilla and strawberry, which I love. We all know how expensive it is. Not only that, Atkins has 15g of Protein and I would prefer about 25-25g.

http://www.vigorousliving.com/idsnewwhlipr1.html

This is where I bought them. You might be able to get them cheaper somewhere, this is just where I decided to get them. That's the 42g. I got the fruit punch. Works fine for me. I also bought a pack of the 25g blue raspberry, because I like blue raspberry (normally). They weren't good and its a lot harder to get a whole tube instead of half. So I plan to keep buying the 42g fruit punches.

Let me just share my experience with 'powders'. I stocked up with a few different brands, from 'unflavored'(which isn't true!!) to vanillla, chocolate, the matrix brand of cookies&cream and orange cream.. They were all horrible to me. I did try the IDS New whey Protein test tubes, and now I will swear by them. If I had not found them I wouldn't have been able to get the adequate Protein I need! So if you end up not liking the shakes, I would strongly recommend the tubes. 1 test tube (3 oz) is 42g of protein.. it's NOT the best taste in the world, but I can drink 1/2 tube in 2 gulps and I chase it with Water. So I don't have to make a big to-do about drinking a full shake and worrying about how much protein I was able to get down before giving up on it. On the other hand, maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones who finds a shake you love! I know a lot of people like the Matrix brand.

Hey, you know what I just learned today? I still have to research the heck out of it but I discovered today that the test tube crap you buy? It's just that, crap. The quality of the protein is quite low.

You know the texture of that stuff? Know where it comes from? Jello. Apparently the quality is low, the cost of the products is dirt cheap (cow gristle) and the price is quite high considering the quality is so poor.

I was told to search collegen (sp? Sorry, too lazy to look up spelling) protein. He said that would be an eye opener.

Oh, and yesterday me and some girls at work were talking about the nasty shakes, and one of them started talking about carnation's instant Breakfast. She said it's really good. Then another girl said she drinks them too and they're good. So, one of them said she'd bring me a sample to try (she buys the big size from Sam's Club). Well this morning, one of them brings me 3: Dark chocolate, strawberry, Malt Milk Chocolate! (She said she didn't bring the vanilla because it's her favorite LOL) and the other one brought me Rich Milk Chocolate. So now I have 4 new things to try. They said to use them in milk, was going to get a milk from the vending machine, but it's not a low-fat milk so I'll have to wait till I get home. Crossing my fingers again!

What's the difference in Proteins?

I don't know for sure, I haven't researched it yet. I asked him if it had to do with the chain and he couldn't recall specifics.

There is a chain of amino acids and a full chain makes a Protein. I need to see why this is such a low quality Protein. I assume it has to do with the chain? Not sure.

Has anyone tried one of the flavored Protein powders that GNC has? It's got 54 grams of Protein per scoop. I can't recall the name of it. I figure I could get the biggest bang for my buck - and I could make just 1 protein shake a day and the rest of the protein could come from my diet. (My nutritionist recommended 60 grams of protein per day.)

Thanks for your input - this site has been an incredible way to see how others are doing with their bands.

Peace! Rachel

I'm wondering the same thing....someone who knows, please enlighten

us!!:target:

Has anyone tried one of the flavored Protein powders that GNC has? It's got 54 grams of Protein per scoop. I can't recall the name of it. I figure I could get the biggest bang for my buck - and I could make just 1 protein shake a day and the rest of the protein could come from my diet. (My nutritionist recommended 60 grams of protein per day.)

Peace! Rachel

Please be sure to divide that in half. Your body can only absorb 25gms of protein (or so) at a time. The rest you will have to burn or it turns to fat.

I didn't know that the body only absorbs about 25 grams of Protein at once. I did the whole bullet at one sitting so I wasted about 20 grams. There is so much info out there that we should know but that no one tells us unless we run across it on a site like this. There's so much on the site it's near impossible to read it all along with doing all of our daily routine.

Yup, I learned about splitting the Protein from Was, saw her post it in another thread. This website is invaluable, truely. I honestly learned so much more here than I did from the dietician at the hospital.

I did not read through all the posts so sorry if this is a repeat of someone elses post.

I buy my Protein mix at GNC. It has 50 grams of Protein per serving. 210 calories. and no carbs.

It is called Zero Carb Isopure. Great flavors. You can buy it at GNC store or at GNC.com.

And there is soooo much outdated information still floating around. Please dont' believe everything you read in a message board.