Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NEW FROM KANSAS! Have some questions...

I've been looking into lap band for quite sometime, but now that I found my insurance will pay for it I'm ready to go forward!!

I have been lurking and learned a lot from this message board, so I'm hoping you guys can help me with some things. I just had my fourth baby (born on Christmas Day '06) and am still nursing. I want to nurse till he's at least a year old. As I do this I'm on Weight Watchers. I'm losing slowly, but losing all the same. My BMI is 41.5, and I'm afraid that if I continue losing I won't be authorized for the band any longer. Has anyone lost so much weight pre-op that they wouldn't do it?

I know this seems like a strange question. I've been dieting pretty constantly for about the last 15 years. I know I need something like the lap band or it won't ever be permanent. I've lost hundreds and hundreds of pounds over the years, but am heavier than ever. I have this fear of losing weight this time, not getting approved for the surgery only to gain it all back and be right back here again in a couple of years. I don't really feel right about not watching what I eat or just not trying until I can get the surgery. Dieting is ingrained in me. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

Jodi

Jodi,

I have no idea...sorry....keep checking the board and see what you find...surely, there is some post about not being over-weight enough to have lapband..

Di

Jodi,

Some insurance carriers determine eligibility by your BMI? I think most carriers won't cover you if you are under 40 BMI but I don't have personal experience with this.

My starting BMI was 38, which is considered lower, but I was self-pay so I didn't have to jump through all the hoops that others had to.

Where in Kansas are you? I went to Dr. Malley in Mission, KS and he is wonderful. Read these boards and you will discover a wealth of information. Good luck.

I'm in Manhattan. I was thinking about going to Topeka for the surgery. We are going to the seminar there in a couple of weeks. Do you have a website for the place you had yours done? Topeka is the only one lapband.com told me about because of where I live.

It's Malleysurgical.com. Is Tallgrass the Topeka facility? If so, I've read alot of good comments on these boards. Do a search for your facility or surgeon and you will probably find lots of information. Hope this helps.

Hello... another KS girl here and another Malley patient.

Tallgrass in Topeka does the band and I think it is TravelGirl who went there... they have the best self pay price around, and I've heard lots of good things......

My insurance read like this...

BMI over 40 or

BMI over 35 WITH 2 comorbitites

No coverage with BMI's over 50.

I would get your surgery scheduled because for me.. my insurance sent the letter approving me in January but I had to wait for a surgery OPENING at that was April 26..... more and more insurance providers are approving and so our surgeons schedules are getting really full.

I agree with Tracy, start now, when dealing with insurance the process can take awhile. You could have surgery even when breast feeding. You would just have to pump before and waste for 24-48hrs (confirm with anesthesiologist) after.

You will want to specifically ask your insurance what their requirments are to get approved, but also after you are approved. I think I have read the same thing from someone else on here - they couldn't lose too much or the insurance wouldn't pay. Key is how or when is the insurance going to review, once initial approval is given. I think 40 is the magic number for most insurances carriers or 35 with co-morbidities.

I do not know if you found a doctor. I love Dr. Jesse Lopez. He sees me in Leawood. e is so caring and his staff is great.

I was approved in December or January and my approval was good through the June 1! Maybe your insurance does a similar thing?? I would find out or keep myself "Just Fat Enough" until I'm done nursing. I'd NEVER give up nursing!! I also have 4 kids and lost all my baby fat plus more after each baby, because I nursed them, dieted, and excersized at the same time! My thyroid went nutso a few years ago and I gained about 100lbs in less than 6 months, after they killed my thyroid. Now I'm just too old (38) and too tired to try to get all this 140lbs off by myself!!!

Do what you have to, it's worth it!!

Hi, Jodi!

I am from Abilene, and had my surgery done at Tallgrass. They have a first rate staff there, and they have treated me with such respect, and professionalism.... I would not hesitate for one second to recommend any of their surgeons. Dr. Brent Steward did my surgery.

As far as your insurance goes, get to a seminar as SOON as possible, so you can get the paperwork to get the gears turning, and Rachelle can answer any questions you have regarding when/how to submit your paperwork.

You can PM me if you have any questions, or just ask away on here, I'm here often. :)

Hi!

Thanks so much for all your help! I've decided to give up dieting just long enough to get my insurance approval. It didn't end up being as hard as I thought it would be :D Anyway, I went to the seminar on the 12th of this month, had my psych eval. today, and my first appointment on June 12th. I probably can start dieting after that. But as my signature says, my husband gets to go first. I will put off my surgery till fall, although I hate to because Tallgrass says they can get us in in about 2 months. Oh well, I shouldn't gripe. I know there are alot of people who have a lot longer wait and more red tape to go through than us! Thank goodness for Federal Blue Cross.

Thanks again everyone!