Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restriction vs interest?

Hey folks,

Long story short: had my surgery in 2005, was the model patient...lost all my weight and more..then kept going. I ended up with a raging eating disorder that needed treatment. They took all the Fluid out of my band in 2006/7. After fully recovering, I eventually started gaining weight eating "normally." Now were in present day and I just had my first fill in many many years. It's totally different than before. I did liquids/mushy stuff and now I'm on solids. I wouldn't call what I have "restriction." I have wiggle room. I could eat a bit more if I wanted to and i haven't gotten anything stuck at all...I'm just not interested. It's like the fill have me normal fullness signals. The jury is still out on whether or not this will work. Has anybody out there reacted to a fill this way? Did it work for you?

I have only two "Rules" for my own process: eat when I'm hungry and don't eat if I'm not hungry. After so many years of dieting it is the first one that's most difficult -- "letting" myself eat, nourishing myself and not delaying to save up for later, etc. Then there's the stopping when I'm satisfied. The band helps with that and I feel like I am beating the all or nothing game at last. Sending you very best wishes for what you're doing now. It sounds to me like you're on a solid path.

I too have lost all my excess weight, and keeping it off....so it is posts like yours that strike my interest....

From one veteran to another....please elaborate on what, and how, did you you develop a "raging" eating disorder, that you had to get all the Fluid removed.....

I fear and want to be aware of possible problems that may, and does happen to those who have been successful for some time...

As to your question....I have absolutely no interest in food....and no hunger...there are days where nothing appeals to me at all and I have no desire to eat....

I have wandered around grocery stores and came home with the stupidest things...and when I did get home I didn't want to eat what I purchased...

It has been that way ever since I hit the green zone for sure...

The way it was explained to me is, that the mere presence of the band, for when it is adjusted properly, sends a signal to my brain saying I am full, although it is not a physical feeling, but mental...and if you are full, you cannot possibly eat another another bite...but I have not eaten anything in hours, or since yesterday!

It's as though you are at a thanksgiving dinner and have made a pig of yourself to the point you need to un snap your belt....then someone puts a piece of pie in front of you and your thinking is "No way can I eat another thing..take it away...I don't ever want to even see food right now"

Well it's like that for me, but not physical...just the mental. And it has been that ay for so long it is not nearly that dramatic...it's all very simple and matter of fact now.

reading the posts here I have found some people have it all the time, 24/7, like myself and a few old timers that are not around here anymore, and some need to take a few swallows of food to experience it...., and unfortunately, for whatever reason, (keep my opinions as to why to myself) some never experience this....

Edited by B-52

It's just so strange because I NEVER had this the "first time." To be clear I'm far from goal again. I struggled with anorexia after band...at some point I just psychologically crossed a line. If you knew me, you wouldn't be surprised...I have all the personality traits that tend to go with restrictive eating disorders and if you add the trauma of growing up as heavy as I did, it all made sense. I took it too far and couldn't stop. They removed the Fluid so I could actually eat normally when I was inpatient. But after 2-3 years of eating. Normally I started to gain more than needed. I'm probably 100 lbs over where my body is happiest now. I didnt try refilling the band until now because it wasn't something that comes without a lot of concern or drama for me given my history. Now I have fluid in again and I'm amazed that I'm not needing to think too much about eating or not eating. There are normal fullness signals that stop me after a small amount of food. I was put on my first diet at 6 months old...doctor had my mom watering down my formula....nobody was sure I would be able to eat like an average person and keep the weight off and now I know I can't.

I'm glad you got your fill and is recognizing what true restriction is. You're well on your way to losing again. Best wishes to you.

@@twistedbarbieLA, kudos to you for starting over. I'm only four and a half months out and dancing around the green zone. I sometimes overeat (go too fast) but for the most part I have little interest in food between meals unless it's emotional. This band is definitely performing a physical magic trick on my appetite and it's a godsend.