Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions about net calorie intake

I'm 3.5 weeks post op. I'm taking in about 550 calories a day and it does take work to do that. For the last 1.5 weeks, I've been getting in an hour of pretty intense cardio and i feel great doing it. If I burn 400 calories and eat 550 that leaves only 150 net calories. Is this okay? I know I could use full fat mayo, cheese, etc to get quick calories but is that recommended when the calories will naturally increase on their own over time? What's your opinion?

I wouldn't push it too much, though. It really depends on the diet your surgeon/nutritionist recommended for you. In my case, i was to average 600-700 calories weeks 2-3 then bump it to 800 by week 4. My nutritionist said "your calorie counting days are over; just listen to your body and eat the proper portions - your sleeve will let you know when you've had enough". Intense cardio every day this soon after surgery seems a bit much - the weight WILL come off. I applaud your commitment, so know I'm in your corner - just take it easy and don't try to rush the results. Best of luck!

Edited by UPnDOWNinNY

i agree with UPnDOWNinNY. you need to take it easy these first few weeks, although walking and doing some cardio is great. make sure you're getting your Protein and Water and the rest will take care of itself. good luck!

Just make sure when you start doing strength training (which I definitely suggest you do when you're ready - maybe in two weeks or so?) that you get enough calories/protein to rebuild the muscle you break down while training. On the days I don't weight train, I get around 600-700 calories. But on the days I do lift, I get closer to 1000 or even 1100. I get between 80-90g of Protein every day.

If you do decide to up your calories, I'd say don't do it through more animal fats (full-fat mayo/cheese, etc). Not all calories are equal, and you should be aiming for something more nutritionally dense, not just something that has more calories. So you could adding a little more carbs through fruit (berries!) or a nice whole grain like quinoa, or go for plant based fats like avocado or healthy nuts (walnuts or almonds, for example). Or, of course, you could just add more Protein, maybe through another shake (which, of course, some of the above options could be added to, within reason). All of the options I just listed would give you essential micronutrients along with the extra calories. Full-fat mayo would just be fat. (I have seen some studies that suggest one serving of whole fat dairy a day can aid weight loss though, but still, that's a single serving, not an extra serving, and I don't think it was all dairy, I think it was just yogurt and certain cheeses.)